5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque Issue when stopping

Ramjack

Reaction score
My 2021 5.7 eTorque has just started an issue after over a year and 7800 miles. Up until the last couple of weeks, the system has worked flawlessly. Previously, whenever I came to a complete stop the engine would shut down seamlessly. Now, I come to a stop and the engine shuts down but the truck gives a bit of a kick as it shuts down at least 80% of the time, like I'm getting bumped in the back by another car. It's not severe, but a good solid "bump". When I let off the brakes, the engine fires up seamlessly with no issues and no surge. All other aspects of the eTorque system seem to be working just fine. I did a search (including an advanced Google search) and did not come across anything like this. I'm only finding cases of eTorque troubles upon restart, e.g. surging. Any thoughts? I guess I'll try to get it to my dealer soon.

EDIT: I should clarify. This "bump" in the back is not a jarring bump like when a vehicle hits you, even at very slow speed. It's more of a lurch. Instead of being hit from behind by another vehicle, think of having 5 guys at the rear of your vehicle (when it is stopped) giving you a healthy push for 1/2 second. Maybe not even 5 guys; maybe like 2 or 3.

Last edited:

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't had that issue with my etorque, but I did have it with my 2015 Charger R/T. The "bump" was so severe that I found I had to stop short outnof fear that it would catapult me into another vehicle in front of me. There was no rhyme or reason for when it happened. It happened about once every 6 months or so, but it was bad. Of course, no so could reproduce it, but I was told that it was likely a transmission issue. My wife's Pacifica also has a surging transmission issue related to the programming.

Bw12

Reaction score
My 2021 5.7 eTorque has just started an issue after over a year and 7800 miles. Up until the last couple of weeks, the system has worked flawlessly. Previously, whenever I came to a complete stop the engine would shut down seamlessly. Now, I come to a stop and the engine shuts down but the truck gives a bit of a kick as it shuts down at least 80% of the time, like I'm getting bumped in the back by another car. It's not severe, but a good solid "bump". When I let off the brakes, the engine fires up seamlessly with no issues and no surge. All other aspects of the eTorque system seem to be working just fine. I did a search (including an advanced Google search) and did not come across anything like this. I'm only finding cases of eTorque troubles upon restart, e.g. surging. Any thoughts? I guess I'll try to get it to my dealer soon.
My 2022, with 9k miles has been doing that the last month or so. I just took it to dealer last wk as there was a recall for the start/stop system. They did a computer update as part of the recall. So far it seems to be better.

Users who are viewing this thread