5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque Generator Replacement

GaryT

Reaction score
I didnt turn up anything with a search, apologies if this has been covered. Does anyone know if the 2019 5.7 eTorque generator is something that I can replace? My truck is at 87k miles, 7k past the warranty on the hybrid components, and the MGU is making some unhappy noises for the first few minutes after a start. It almost sounds like a bad idler or tensioner pulley, but I was able to isolate it to the MGU. It eventually quiets down a bit, but it never goes way. Voltage is good, no engine light, etc. I am finding new and low mile take-offs for roughly half the cost of a new generator and I would rather avoide the hassle of getting this to a dealer for service if I can.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You mean this? If so, then yes.

0668A222-E350-42BE-83FA-B6841D7414B7.jpeg

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like it's relatively straightforward to replace, provided dealing with the belt/tensioner is no more of a hassle than with a traditional alternator. I believe you'll be the first member to replace their MGU/BSG out of warranty, @GaryT!

GaryT

Reaction score
Nothing about it looks to be anything but routine, I saw a TSB somewhere about the MGU and it mentioned programming the gear ratio and that didn't make any sense to me. Apparently the water pump belt is a stretch to install type and it's a one time use deal.

GaryT

Reaction score
Finally got the chance to do a tear down today, and it was inconclusive. Removed the belt, spun each belt driven part, no noise, no roughness of any kind. Of course, I put it all back together and the sound is still there and clearly coming from the MGU. When I spun it by hand, it was smooth with just what I would think to be normal resistance, just slightly more than your average alternator. So. I don't know. I guess I'll run it until whatever it is fails then go from there.

GaryT

Reaction score
Well, after just over 3 months, I was finally able to find a new MGU (eTorque generator) and install it. This is after going through 16 different dealers, all of which showed this part in stock, only to cancel the order within a day or two. I found mine at a local dealer who ordered one for a customer in March, they didnt pick the part up, so I got lucky. They did tell me that they recieved word from Ram that they do not currently have a supplier for this part. In late August, there were 29 leaving the warehouse that were all spoken for.
Warranty isnt relevant in my situation as my truck has 88K on it. One thing to note is that the install is relatively simple, but the part will not work out of the box. Mine wasnt charging and required a dealer flash to make it work. It did make the 5 mile drive to the dealer without any issue. I couldnt find this information anywhere prior to this, so I am noting it here for anyone else having this issue. The flash was $150, the part was $1488 with tax.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
Well, after just over 3 months, I was finally able to find a new MGU (eTorque generator) and install it. This is after going through 16 different dealers, all of which showed this part in stock, only to cancel the order within a day or two. I found mine at a local dealer who ordered one for a customer in March, they didnt pick the part up, so I got lucky. They did tell me that they recieved word from Ram that they do not currently have a supplier for this part. In late August, there were 29 leaving the warehouse that were all spoken for.
Warranty isnt relevant in my situation as my truck has 88K on it. One thing to note is that the install is relatively simple, but the part will not work out of the box. Mine wasnt charging and required a dealer flash to make it work. It did make the 5 mile drive to the dealer without any issue. I couldnt find this information anywhere prior to this, so I am noting it here for anyone else having this issue. The flash was $150, the part was $1488 with tax.

Yup. Mine was replaced under warranty very early on in the global supply chain issues. Took my dealer a month to get the part. Invoice cost was a little less, $1,200 but everything has gone up since then. Sounds about right for a re-flash. I paid $120 way back when for my Jeep GC.

You're right. It's very straightforward to replace but the re-flash has to be done by a dealer.

peeceejay

Reaction score
My 2020 with 25k is making a whining noise that the dealer has identified as a worn MGU bearing - I'm waiting on a replacement that should be here early Jan - good to know it's a simple replacement, if I ever need to do it again

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 2020 with 25k is making a whining noise that the dealer has identified as a worn MGU bearing - I'm waiting on a replacement that should be here early Jan - good to know it's a simple replacement, if I ever need to do it again
How loud / persistent is that whine? A few of us have heard something intermittently.

Octaneguy

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat with a 2020 with 24K miles and its been making the whining noise for the past several months. I took it to my dealer and they told me it needed a new alternator which of course is the MGU and of course they told me its on back order. This is a year later from the previous posts and seems nothing has changed.

RAM_Davis

Reaction score
Well at least you saved about $400 in gas over a traditional alternator... :)

drm82

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat with a 2020 with 24K miles and its been making the whining noise for the past several months. I took it to my dealer and they told me it needed a new alternator which of course is the MGU and of course they told me its on back order. This is a year later from the previous posts and seems nothing has

I'm in the same boat with a 2020 with 24K miles and its been making the whining noise for the past several months. I took it to my dealer and they told me it needed a new alternator which of course is the MGU and of course they told me its on back order. This is a year later from the previous posts and seems nothing has changed.
My truck has been at the dealership since November 9th, and I was told the MGU was on back order, and at first they had an estimate of November 22nd, which then got delayed another week. Now I'm told December 18th is the ETA of the MGU. I guess we'll see. Truck is a 2019 with 56,000 kms. Canada here.

Users who are viewing this thread