5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eTorque and Cabin Cooling - Real World Reports Please

Grouper

Reaction score
I've posted another thread about the configuration tool only allowing an eTorque engine to be selected when trying to order/configure a new truck with specific options.

The main reason I initially had no interest in the eTorque is because I live in Florida and I'm concerned about cabin comfort with the start/stop affecting the AC system. 90% of my driving is local, around town.

I've been reading the forum and watching videos trying to get educated about the eTorque. I read that the system will actually discontinue the start/stop function when the AC is "working hard" to cool the cabin. I'm not sure what the specific threshold is but it interesting to learn that the start/stop has this logic.

So for those of you who live in very hot and humid climates, how has the eTorque affected cabin comfort? Do you notice the cabin warming-up when waiting at a traffic light? Do you regret getting the eTorque specifically because of cabin comfort issues?

There are already threads about the AC system not blowing very cold (regardless of which engine is installed) and I'm definitely not interested in the heater hose "hack," so I don't want to buy an engine that will only exasperate what could already be lack-luster cabin cooling.

If it turns out the only choices I have are to get the eTorque or not by the Ram, I'd like to make an educated decision.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Toothninja

Reaction score
I have the etorque engine. Live in San Antonio...it gets pretty, uhhh, warm here. I do turn it off when it’s hot outside. I do mostly stop and go traffic, so I spend half of my time sitting still and the truck will turn off. It gets stuffy. Not my favorite. However, my truck came with it and it’s really not that big of a deal when the weather is nice outside. I love my ventilated seats...it’s the reason I didn’t get a Rebel! Hope this helps.

Konrad

Reaction score
I've posted another thread about the configuration tool only allowing an eTorque engine to be selected when trying to order/configure a new truck with specific options.

The main reason I initially had no interest in the eTorque is because I live in Florida and I'm concerned about cabin comfort with the start/stop affecting the AC system .

It's not an issue IMHO. I don't think you'll have any problems. Your truck will disable the auto stop feature and start the engine when it's needed for maintaining cabin temp, battery charge etc. Besides, if you really don't want it, the auto start/stop can be turned off with ONE additional touch of a button after you start your truck. I think it's a very small trade-off for smoother shifts, better economy, regenerative braking, additional torque when needed etc. I'm also fairly certain that you can permanently disable it (via a 3rd party device / dongle or quick programming via AlfaOBD or such) while still keeping the other benefits of the system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jtr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in Florida and I'm concerned about cabin comfort with the start/stop affecting the AC system. 90% of my driving is local, around town.
The AC will continue to run at somewhat reduced output even when the cabin has cooled enough where the "stop" feature is engaged. But the reduced output never made me uncomfortable when the vehicle switches over to the battery power. Driving in very hot weather during the summer, it wasn't e-torque that was the problem with quick cabin cooling, it is the heater core input problem everyone experiences. You mentioned that 90% of your driving is local and possibly stop and go traffic so knowing this, if I was in your shoes, I would go with the e-torque. But, everyone is different. I like not having to fill up the tank as frequently as I would have to if I didn't have the e-torque. I hope this helps.

Teamcook

Reaction score
I have the e torque in Austin, when you're on max cool, automatically turns off the start/stop, and if on automatic temperature control and the cabin is doing it's initial cool to designated temperature, it also turns it off, and in both cases, you can monitor via a dash message. I was never a fan of the start/stop, but I've grown accustomed to it, and basically, if it's too hot, it's simply disabled. The e torque is nice pulling away from lights - zero lag, even if the engine is in the process of restarting. The regenerative braking feels a little like old drum brakes with a brake shoe dragging, if you just touch the brakes lightly, but you get used to it, and learn to use it and then you don't notice it.

I like the e torque, I'd get it again, but I also wouldn't NOT get a truck just because it doesn't have it, either. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The main reason I initially had no interest in the eTorque is because I live in Florida and I'm concerned about cabin comfort with the start/stop affecting the AC system. 90% of my driving is local, around town.

I've been reading the forum and watching videos trying to get educated about the eTorque. I read that the system will actually discontinue the start/stop function when the AC is "working hard" to cool the cabin. I'm not sure what the specific threshold is but it interesting to learn that the start/stop has this logic.

So for those of you who live in very hot and humid climates, how has the eTorque affected cabin comfort? Do you notice the cabin warming-up when waiting at a traffic light? Do you regret getting the eTorque specifically because of cabin comfort issues?

There are already threads about the AC system not blowing very cold (regardless of which engine is installed) and I'm definitely not interested in the heater hose "hack," so I don't want to buy an engine that will only exasperate what could already be lack-luster cabin cooling.

If it turns out the only choices I have are to get the eTorque or not by the Ram, I'd like to make an educated decision.

Thanks.

When a stop occurs the AC is no longer running since it is driven by the engine. The interior fan keeps running though. I found it to be less than desirable when stopped at a normal length light UNTIL I did the heater core clamp to improve the AC output in hot weather. Once there was no more hot coolant circulating in the HVAC box I was amazed that when the stop occurred it would continue to blow colder than the ambient cabin air for up to 3 minutes. That, I was pleased with.

Overall I like eTorque, especially in the cooler months when it will stop at every little stop, especially when going through a drive through. It's very seamless there.

Grouper

Reaction score
All very good info! Thanks very much.

I'm interested in ordering a Laramie with the Night Edition package. The Night Edition requires the Level 2 trim (which I'd get even if I didn't want the Night Edition). For some reason, it seems that a Level 2 trim Laramie can not be ordered/built without an eTorque engine.

So if I want this truck, it seems I'll have no choice but to get the eTorque. Glad to hear it hasn't negatively affected the comfort and enjoyment of those of you in hot climates. And as has been noted, if worse comes to worst in the thick of the summer, start/stop can be deselected.

WW2

Reaction score
I am very happy to have still been able to purchase a vehicle without auto start-stop (E-torque). RAM is now making it more difficult to get an highly optioned non-eTorque truck. Soon, it will not be an option at all. If I am not mistaken, other that Toyota, you cannot buy another half ton truck without auto start-stop. The next step will be to remove the ability to disable it. That is coming, mark my words. Auto start-stop, grill shutters, aluminum bodies, 10 speed transmissions, cylinder deactivation, deployable air damns, etc. all make very small insignificant improvements in MPGs and in my opinion, make these vehicles much less desirable and add an unnecessary level of complexity. But I guess uncle sam and the CAFE gods are in control. That being said, the RAMs E-Torque system is the best, smoothest system I have driven. It really does work wonderfully. They have done a great job with it.....still dont want it....

compman72

Reaction score
At 23,000 since March 2019 and the eTorque was different at first but now I don’t mind it at all. Smoother shifts, an added boost of power and zero issues. In the summer I would turn off the start/stop most of the time to keep the air conditioning going in the Atlanta heat but now in the cooler months I let it do it’s thing.

jb772

Reaction score
I live in Florida and the auto stop/start feature SUCKS in the extremely hot months (which is most of the year). The air condition performance has always had issues cooling such a large cabin, but I can deff immediately tell the difference in the air temp from when the truck stop/starts and when I have it disabled. When I stop at a red light and it shuts off, usually within 30 seconds you can feel the warm air pushing out on you and sometimes its so much that I have to roll my windows down just to get the muggy air off of me - at that point I usually crank the AC up all the way and disable auto start.

Raylan GIvens

Reaction score
I live in GA. The AC is probably the biggest complaint about these trucks so it is more than just an eTorque issue. It can get a little uncomfortable sitting at stops when the engine shuts off, which is partly because it wasn't that cool inside the cabin to begin with. As others have mentioned the max AC setting will keep the engine running and you can also let off the brake slightly to restart the engine if you want some more AC. For me this is only an issue during summer months on my drive home from work getting through all the stop lights and traffic. In the morning or the remainder of the year it isn't hot enough to cause me any problems. I really like the eTorque despite this and would purchase it again if I were to get another truck

MontFla

Reaction score
My 2021 e torque with start stop would function with the cabin temp set at 58 degrees the 2022 will not function until the cabin temp dial is turned to to 68 degrees???? What is everyone else experiencing

Users who are viewing this thread