5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ESCAPE HAMMER / TOOL / SEATBELT-CUTTER

Marusho

Reaction score
I have never been good about fitting my vehicles with sensible emergency supplies and tools, but I promised myself to do better with the Ram. With all the nooks and crannies there is a place for whatever you want to carry.

I know everybody should have an escape hammer, both for their own use and to help out other vehicle occupants we may come across. I wrestled with where to put it. Sure, I could drop it into the driver's door pocket but who knows where it would end up in case of a rollover? And how is a passenger to access it even if he knows its location, but his seatbelt is trapping him and it needs to be cut? I should put it near the center of the passenger compartment, assuming I'm only using one tool. Do I put it in the open area of the console? That's not easy to reach for backseat passengers, even if it stayed put in case of an accident. Inside the console it might stay put but it's even more inaccessible, and who would even know to look for it there unless he was a regular, trained-up carpooler?

I have a Longhorn crew cab. If you don't have the same center console, this idea won't work for you, but you should still buy one of these tools.

I found the place where every passenger can reach the tool, where it will likely stay put in case of a mishap, where it is so visible that everyone will learn its location. If you get the same model as me, which is $3 each in sets of 2 on ebay, it looks like it will do the job, has double-ended pointy hammers and the requisite seatbelt cutter, and has enough bulk that it's easy to wield and locate, and will fit pretty snugly in the foam cupholder. If a backseat passenger wants to use the cupholder he'll just have to deal with it. There are more cupholders in the armrest.

ESCAPE-TOOL-small.JPG
I was so taken by this cheap piece of equipment that I bought a lot of them as stocking-stuffers.

Users who are viewing this thread