5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ESC LIGHT

Dajoker06

Reaction score
Hello Ram family, I purchased a 2019 BH/LS in August. Two weeks after purchasing the electronic stability light comes on. Took truck in and was informed that it was some loose connection. Things went fine for about 3 weeks then boom, light on again. Took truck in for 3rd time and while dealer was pulling code, Chrysler’s Engineering Dept contacted dealership questioning why codes was being pulled, WOW. Ended up getting a loaner vehicle while they sorted it out. A week in to process was notified that vacuum pump needed to be replaced, malfunctioning. Guess what? A month or so later, light on again, this time it comes on then goes off, I let this go on for about a couple weeks, to see if it would possibly reset it and go back to normal. Well light starts coming on at startup and staying on then , maybe going off later, but soon as I got a bump in road or any type of vibration to vehicle it came back on. Took truck back in last week and dropped off, while light was on. I was informed that they was gna get advise from Chrysler Engineers about how to proceed. A week later was informed that they are had to replace ABS module. Picked up truck yesterday, hopefully this is finally resolved.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Hello Ram family, I purchased a 2019 BH/LS in August. Two weeks after purchasing the electronic stability light comes on. Took truck in and was informed that it was some loose connection. Things went fine for about 3 weeks then boom, light on again. Took truck in for 3rd time and while dealer was pulling code, Chrysler’s Engineering Dept contacted dealership questioning why codes was being pulled, WOW. Ended up getting a loaner vehicle while they sorted it out. A week in to process was notified that vacuum pump needed to be replaced, malfunctioning. Guess what? A month or so later, light on again, this time it comes on then goes off, I let this go on for about a couple weeks, to see if it would possibly reset it and go back to normal. Well light starts coming on at startup and staying on then , maybe going off later, but soon as I got a bump in road or any type of vibration to vehicle it came back on. Took truck back in last week and dropped off, while light was on. I was informed that they was gna get advise from Chrysler Engineers about how to proceed. A week later was informed that they are had to replace ABS module. Picked up truck yesterday, hopefully this is finally resolved.
Hello, i hope its fixed this time

Would mind going into more detail regarding... while they were pulling codes, chrysler engineers called to ask why they were pulling codes? Like, from the OBD port they were pulling codes, and then during it, Chrysler Engineers called them asking why they were doing that?

Dajoker06

Reaction score
Hello, i hope its fixed this time

Would mind going into more detail regarding... while they were pulling codes, chrysler engineers called to ask why they were pulling codes? Like, from the OBD port they were pulling codes, and then during it, Chrysler Engineers called them asking why they were doing that?
Yes that’s exactly what happened, as soon as they plug in, information is sent to Chrysler Engineering, dealer said that was a first for them for , BIG BROTHER, lol, that’s what she call them, to call to see why they was pulling code and resetting. New technology

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Yes that’s exactly what happened, as soon as they plug in, information is sent to Chrysler Engineering, dealer said that was a first for them for , BIG BROTHER, lol, that’s what she call them, to call to see why they was pulling code and resetting. New technology
Hmm... Interesting.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I guess it seems feasible to me that if they have some machine as an OBD reader that is web connected to detroit.

Scarier woukd be that the web connected truck relays info on its own to detroit whenever an OBD reader is plugged into.

But even in the first scenario... of all the trucks being read on a daily, to have someone kniw THAT SECOND about THAT one..

I have never heard of such a thing.

Dajoker06

Reaction score
I guess it seems feasible to me that if they have some machine as an OBD reader that is web connected to detroit.

Scarier woukd be that the web connected truck relays info on its own to detroit whenever an OBD reader is plugged into.

But even in the first scenario... of all the trucks being read on a daily, to have someone kniw THAT SECOND about THAT one..

First for everything

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score

More like the software to pull the code in the tablet device sent the signal to BIG BROTHER not your car.

RSZ

Reaction score
More like the software to pull the code in the tablet device sent the signal to BIG BROTHER not your car.

On my dealers website they have the ability to book service online. I put the VIN in and it displays the current mileage on the truck. These trucks are absolutely "phoning home" constantly.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my dealers website they have the ability to book service online. I put the VIN in and it displays the current mileage on the truck. These trucks are absolutely "phoning home" constantly.

Yes it can but in this case of OP, the BIG BROTHER called, how do they know which dealer to call? The App dealer used require authorized user login account which they can trace back to who doing what.

traveller09

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old one but my ESC light came on and won’t go out ,and we are a 1000 miles from home. Seattle to Napa area. We were traveling I-20 from I-5 to the Windsor/Napa area and I don’t know if anyone has gone this way before but it is at least 30+ plus miles of tight twisty roads, fun in a 911 not fun in a truck. I was going super slow and about 3/4 way through the light came on and it won’t go out. Not sure if the constant tight turns taxed the system or not. I let it sit overnight and it still comes on.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Looks like there are 2 dealers near me, one in Santa Rosa and another in Healdsburg, any preference other than whoever can get me in?

Finally, assuming I can’t get in to a dealer or they can’t immediately fix it, this something I can drive another 1000 miles home to get fixed?
Appreciate your thought.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
From the owner's manual, wish I could be of more help.
This warning light monitors various brake functions, including brake fluid level and parking brake application. If the brake light turns on it may indicate that the parking brake is applied, that the brake fluid level is low, or that there is a problem with the anti-lock brake system reservoir. If the light remains on when the parking brake has been disengaged, and the fluid level is at the full mark on the master cylinder reservoir, it indicates a possible brake hydraulic system malfunction or that a problem with the Brake Booster has been detected by the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) / Electronic Stability Control (ESC) system. In this case, the light will remain on until the condition has been corrected. If the problem is related to the brake booster, the ABS pump will run when applying the brake, and a brake pedal pulsation may be felt during each stop. The dual brake system provides a reserve braking capacity in the event of a failure to a portion of the hydraulic system. A leak in either half of the dual brake system is indicated by the Brake Warning Light, which will turn on when the brake fluid level in the master cylinder has dropped below a specified level. The light will remain on until the cause is corrected

Electronic Stability Control (ESC) This system enhances directional control and stability of the vehicle under various driving conditions. ESC corrects for oversteering or understeering of the vehicle by applying the brake of the appropriate wheel(s) to assist in counteracting the oversteer or understeer condition. Engine power may also be reduced to help the vehicle maintain the desired path. ESC uses sensors in the vehicle to determine the vehicle path intended by the driver and compares it to the actual path of the vehicle. When the actual path does not match the intended path, ESC applies the brake of the appropriate wheel to assist in counteracting the oversteer or understeer condition. • Oversteer — when the vehicle is turning more than appropriate for the steering wheel position. • Understeer — when the vehicle is turning less than appropriate for the steering wheel position

Last edited:

traveller09

Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old one but my ESC light came on and won’t go out ,and we are a 1000 miles from home. Seattle to Napa area. We were traveling I-20 from I-5 to the Windsor/Napa area and I don’t know if anyone has gone this way before but it is at least 30+ plus miles of tight twisty roads, fun in a 911 not fun in a truck. I was going super slow and about 3/4 way through the light came on and it won’t go out. Not sure if the constant tight turns taxed the system or not. I let it sit overnight and it still comes on.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Looks like there are 2 dealers near me, one in Santa Rosa and another in Healdsburg, any preference other than whoever can get me in?

Finally, assuming I can’t get in to a dealer or they can’t immediately fix it, this something I can drive another 1000 miles home to get fixed?
Appreciate your thought.
So, I was able to get the truck into the Santa Rosa dealership last Tuesday for them to investigate. BTW, really happy with the experience dealing with them, they did a great job and good customer service. They told me they had not seen issues with the ESC system before. Early Tuesday afternoon I got a call to tell me what the problem was. The vacuum line to the system was not hooked up. Meaning, it didn't come off, it was never hooked up from the factory. The vacuum pump had a cap over the hole and the hose still had a plug in the hose. They hooked up all the hoses and the codes immediately cleared. I drove it all the way back to Seattle and had no further problems. I still have no idea how I did a 1K road trip and the light never came on. The curvy roads I was on must have activated the system and when it activated it could not function as designed because it wasn't hooked up?

RAM quality and relability was my numbrer 1 concern when buying this truck, and this sure doesnt help comfort me. I am going to tell myself this is the one issue my truck will have and that is now behind us, so we are good to go moving forward.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The vacuum line to the system was not hooked up. Meaning, it didn't come off, it was never hooked up from the factory. The vacuum pump had a cap over the hole and the hose still had a plug in the hose.
That...is quite concerning. Kinda makes you wonder what else they forgot. Did the dealer report this to FCA?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'll put your mind at ease. See fig. 1 below, typical FCA employee. A photo of an employee actually working has yet to be captured IMG_20210715_084242~2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread