5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Enough truck?

rutledj

Reaction score
Ok. I'm posting this knowing that there are a bunch going to say I don't have enough truck for the size camper, but I really just want to know what is considered normal. I have a 2021 ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 v8 non e-torque, 392 rear end.
Truck specs based on vin:
MAX PAYLOAD 1826.63LBS
MAX TOWING 11726.63LBS

We just purchased a Coachmen freedom express 238 BHS camper (Len: 25' 10" Hitch Weight:694 lb GVWR: 7600 lb. UVW 5314 lb.). Driving it home from the dealership, the truck seemed to stay at around 2100 rpm and going uphill, 4-5k rpm. Just wondering if this is normal? I wouldn't expect it to behave the same towing nothing but it I guess I've never driven one where the engine was working this hard all the time. This is with no extra weight added to the truck or camper. Newbie to campers so not sure what to expect.

Uga40

Reaction score
I personally think it is borderline. Within limits, but will be tossed around in high winds.

I am in the same boat. I have a ecodiesel and my rig is 26ft hitch to spare and around 6K lbs loaded, no water. If it is windy, I feel the sway even with a WDH. Wish I got a 3/4 ton.

I can't comment on the rpms. My ecodiesel tows the weight with no issues. Just the fact that the RV is a wind sail is the issue for the 1/2 tons.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok. I'm posting this knowing that there are a bunch going to say I don't have enough truck for the size camper, but I really just want to know what is considered normal. I have a 2021 ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 v8 non e-torque, 392 rear end.
MAX PAYLOAD 1826.63LBS
MAX TOWING 11726.63LBS

We just purchased a Coachmen freedom express 238 BHS camper (Len: 25' 10" Hitch Weight:694 lb GVWR: 7600 lb. UVW 5314 lb.). Driving it home from the dealership, the truck seemed to stay at around 2100 rpm and going uphill, 4-5k rpm. Just wondering if this is normal? I wouldn't expect it to behave the same towing nothing but it I guess I've never driven one where the engine was working this hard all the time. This is with no extra weight added to the truck or camper. Newbie to campers so not sure what to expect.
Don't go off the specs on the VIN. Look at the sticker in your door to see payload.

All depends on the speed you're at. Pretty sure Tow Mode locks out of 8th gear, so if you're above 60 mph in 7th it's going to be running high RPM's. Weight-wise you appear fine, but the best way to check is load everything up, and take it to a scale.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the freeway I drop into 8th gear and 1700 towing 10000#, but when not in the hills I don't use tow/haul. Engine and transmission temps stay normal with no issues. Over 6000 miles still averaged 11/12 MPG hand calc. through CAL. and AZ..
I know a 1/2 ton can't do that, but it does. Dash display.jpg

rutledj

Reaction score
Sounds like it is fairly typical then. Just feels like I'm overworking the truck but hoping it is made for that.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Totally normal. I tow at 2100 to 2300 rpms myself, about 63 mph. Doesn't matter what rear end (3.21/3.92) you have, the transmission will drop you into what ever gear ratio you need to get your rpms up.

For the hills, I typically only downshift once to 2700, maybe another downshift if its a tall and sustained hill, it's ok to lose a little bit of speed going up you don't absolutely have to keep up to the charger motoring on to your left.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Totally normal, I’d guess I’m around 2200-2400 rpm on the highway in 7th gear.

Yes it will need to rev on inclines but that doesn’t mean it’s struggling.

Have to remember it’s not just the weight, it’s also the aerodynamic resistance of the trailer’s frontal area. You’re pushing a lot of air

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Absolutely within specs and expected rpm range towing. Have fun, and when it doesn't feel safe slow down, nothing wrong with not keeping up with traffic. If you think this engine is working hard, towing 7500lbs with my 4th gen hemi had rpm's in 2nd gear (6 speed) on hills at 5,000rpms to hold 60kph, and regularly 2500 rpm in 4th gear on flats to go 68mph (110kph), not keeping up with traffic doing 75-80mph.

Pristine1

Reaction score
MAX PAYLOAD 1826.63LBS
MAX TOWING 11726.63LBS

Completely normal for a gas truck to run high rpm’s up grades while towing. They are designed for this so don’t worry too much. Obviously if you can slow down a little to keep the RPM’s down slightly won’t hurt. That combo should be just fine behind your truck. 5300# unloaded is a nice spot. Plenty of room to load it up and be in spec. Load it up, scale it and adjust accordingly. Keep your bed mostly empty and don’t over load the pass through with heavy items. Also especially since you’re new to trailering keep your speeds down. Regular traffic should be passing you by some degree. You’ll still be passing slow pokes but you just wont be winning the rat race. Good luck and safe travels!

rutledj

Reaction score
Where do you go to get your rig weighed? I've seen reference to cat scales but don't know where they exist.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most truck stops have them. You can download the CAT Scale app

1D32319

Reaction score

auggiedoggies

Reaction score
Totally normal and well within your towing limits. Might want to look into an anti sway hitch if sway is bad, but you should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread