5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine whine

Blackshirts

Reaction score
2020 Ram Bighorn 5.7, 52,000 miles.
I've read through other posts about whine in engine. It happens all the time whether it's in idling in neutral, in gear neutral, in gear and moving.
I took a few notes I just want to check with you all:
1. Whine most likely coming from alternator
2. Dealer says its normal operating as long as its producing 14 volts (It is) so they won't replace it under warranty.

I have the mopar extended warranty.

I want to take it in and have them look at it but before I do, are my notes correct on this and if so what's your opinion on what to do? Take it in and see what my dealer says or just drive it because the dealer won't do anything and I'm wasting my time.

Thanks

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've read through other posts about whine in engine. It happens all the time whether it's in idling in neutral, in gear neutral, in gear and moving.
2. Dealer says its normal operating as long as its producing 14 volts (It is) so they won't replace it under warranty.

I want to take it in and have them look at it but before I do, are my notes correct on this and if so what's your opinion on what to do? Take it in and see what my dealer says or just drive it because the dealer won't do anything and I'm wasting my time.

Thanks
An alternator should not whine, bad bearings most likely.
You could get a cheap automotive stethoscope and poke around to see if you can pin point the source, mindful of moving parts of course.
An other option, contact a different dealer that might be more motivated to "do something" about a customer concern.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Thanks
Do you have eTorque? Could be the eTorque idler. Others have had that issue.

Blackshirts

Reaction score
I do not have the eTorque.

I will schedule an appointment with my Ram Dealer.

Blackshirts

Reaction score
I guess I do have the eTorque. The dealer replaced the entire MGU. My truck doesn't have "eTorque" written on the hood like I see others. Maybe because its the 2020? The original MGU, alternator I called it, has RAM embossed on the top. The new one has eTorque.

Full replacement at zero charge. I'm figuring its still covered under the original factory warranty and not my MOPAR extended warranty due to no deductible.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I guess I do have the eTorque. The dealer replaced the entire MGU. My truck doesn't have "eTorque" written on the hood like I see others. Maybe because its the 2020? The original MGU, alternator I called it, has RAM embossed on the top. The new one has eTorque.

Full replacement at zero charge. I'm figuring its still covered under the original factory warranty and not my MOPAR extended warranty due to no deductible.
They didn't start adding the badge until 2021. Most likely replaced under the Federal Emissions warranty which is 80,000 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread