5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine Tick, Check Engine Light, Start/Stop Error

Lrpilot

Reaction score
2021 Longhorn, 3 months old and 2300 miles has what appears to be a significant issue. I was driving home this evening and noticed a strange noise from the engine. It’s like a ticking noise and changes it’s cadence with the RPMs. Here is a video of the noise:

The start/stop function is not working either, the fault light is on and there is a service start/stop message in the dash. It also threw a check engine light. Any ideas before I head to the dealer?

Of course this happened the night before I was supposed to take a 600 mile road trip tomorrow! 🤬🤬

Attachments

• B0B97A91-08B2-4F4A-A5A7-627335321932.jpeg
    B0B97A91-08B2-4F4A-A5A7-627335321932.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 21

mdschadler

Reaction score
Believe it or not, something like this happened to me during a new truck test drive. It ran fine at first but at the second red light the stop/start stopped the engine. Upon restarting it abruptly stalled and the check engine light came on. I put it in park and restarted it, got the service etorque message and started to hear a weird ticking sound. Got back to the dealer fine. Popped the hood and saw the etorque belt tensioner pulley wasn’t touching the belt. It wasn’t flopping around, it was tight against whatever it was hitting ( I forget what). Not sure if it jumped the pulley somehow or the tensioner broke and jammed itself. Anyway, check your belt routing.

Last edited:

Lrpilot

Reaction score
Believe it or not, this happened to me during a test drive with a truck with 20 some miles on it. I popped the hood and saw the etorque belt was on the wrong side of the tensioner pulley.
I’m guessing if that was the case, this issue would’ve popped up prior to now?

Lrpilot

Reaction score
When I started the truck this morning to take it to the dealer, the strange noise was gone, no check engine light and the start/stop system worked perfectly. Not sure what that is all about.

We drove 650 miles with no issues today. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/