5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine Temperature

Racing559

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I've got a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie Sport that I bought new with 5 miles on it.
I've noticed that it runs a little warm and that the fan kicks on at about 220F
Is this normal? I thought most gas engines like to stay around 200F/210F?

Attachments

• 19ram.jpg
    19ram.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 31

mdschadler

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed their analog gauge never reaching "straight up"? I just got back from my first time towing and noticed this. My gauge climbs to what I would call 11:30 position but doesn't go higher. While towing up a hill I pulled up the summary screen and saw the coolant temp was 240, which seemed high. Next day from a cold start I saw the gauge gets to the 11:30 position at 160. It seems like it should have been reading higher when I was towing. The gauge does sweep when I first start. I'm wondering if this is a gauge calibration issue or if this is what is normal for these trucks. My first Ram. Any insight would be appreciated! It's a 2020 Rebel, 1900 miles on it now.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine runs between 210-220. I don’t like it. I had a 180 thermostat in the 2014 and loved how cool it ran.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is normal but these temps ride that skinny line. No cushion at all

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed their analog gauge never reaching "straight up"? I just got back from my first time towing and noticed this. My gauge climbs to what I would call 11:30 position but doesn't go higher. While towing up a hill I pulled up the summary screen and saw the coolant temp was 240, which seemed high. Next day from a cold start I saw the gauge gets to the 11:30 position at 160. It seems like it should have been reading higher when I was towing. The gauge does sweep when I first start. I'm wondering if this is a gauge calibration issue or if this is what is normal for these trucks. My first Ram. Any insight would be appreciated! It's a 2020 Rebel, 1900 miles on it now.
Mine will run as high as 240 while towing uphill.

GregHBNA

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Seen it up to 230 then down to 197, Active grille shutters open and fans come on to cool it down.

On the highway, it stays at 208 pretty constant.

Pdiddy919

Reaction score
I noticed this too. The needle reaches a certain point and never budged from there. I've only seen as high as 230°, but you'd still think that there would at least be some sort of movement from that gauge.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The temp gauges on modern vehicles are essentially dummy gauges. They only move with large amounts of temp changes, 10-30F different the needle will likely not move.

However, you want realtime temps, use the digital readout. Mine on cool running, meaning in motion at a steady pace is around 210F, however in heavier traffic it goes up to 220-230F.

From what I understand, the ideal temp for best fuel economy is 220F.

Users who are viewing this thread