5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine temp?

Ericw

Reaction score
Is there anyway to keep the electric fan on for engine cooling? I find my temps reach 228 sometimes when not running my ac, but when ac is on temps stay around 205. I get a lot of coolant smell when it gets that hot

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
228 really isn't that hot. Modern engines run hot by design.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Is there anyway to keep the electric fan on for engine cooling? I find my temps reach 228 sometimes when not running my ac, but when ac is on temps stay around 205. I get a lot of coolant smell when it gets that hot
That's 100% normal. If you want the fans on, just turn your A/C or defrost on. Or keep your speed above 30-35mph for airflow through radiator.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
228 isn't obscene. It wouldn't hurt to check your coolant level though, or even replace it depending on how long you have had the truck

SD Rebel

Reaction score
As mentioned, the 228F is within the normal operating range of your truck, especially in hot idle and low speed city driving. However the coolant smell could be something you need to check out more. There could be a small leak somewhere, hopefully it's not the heater core inside the cab, maybe coolant burping in the engine bay.

Check your coolant level when cold, start there first and look for any visual signs of a coolant leak around the engine bay.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As mentioned, the 228F is within the normal operating range of your truck, especially in hot idle and low speed city driving. However the coolant smell could be something you need to check out more. There could be a small leak somewhere, hopefully it's not the heater core inside the cab, maybe coolant burping in the engine bay.

Check your coolant level when cold, start there first and look for any visual signs of a coolant leak around the engine bay.
I get random coolant smell from time to time as well. Just recently had to top off the overflow reservoir as it was a little low, but do have 27k miles on the truck, so can expect some evaporation over time. I just chalk the smell off as something "normal" as there are no visible leaksz and truck runs great

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I get random coolant smell from time to time as well. Just recently had to top off the overflow reservoir as it was a little low, but do have 27k miles on the truck, so can expect some evaporation over time. I just chalk the smell off as something "normal" as there are no visible leaksz and truck runs great

That could be normal, isn't there some sort of expansion exhaust for the coolant to blow out of during normal operation? Those with more sensitive noses maybe able to notice it more.

Ericw

Reaction score
3 days ago I seem to had a blow off had orangish fluid under the radiator

Ericw

Reaction score
2019 1500 DT I’m not sure what color coolant is supposed to be

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2019 1500 DT I’m not sure what color coolant is supposed to be
Dodge/Ram uses pink or purple depending on model year. At least on the newer Hemis. The pink does have a tendency to turn orange over time. My 2020 with 27K miles is still pink. I just checked

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
That could be normal, isn't there some sort of expansion exhaust for the coolant to blow out of during normal operation? Those with more sensitive noses maybe able to notice it more.
Yes, this is what the expansion tank is for. It's vented to atmosphere, and will burp coolant if it becomes full. Even just the vapors that come out can be enough for people sensitive to anti freeze smell can detect it.

3 days ago I seem to had a blow off had orangish fluid under the radiator
I've seen coolant color variations that were pink, red, purple and orange. What did it smell like? The expansion tank overflow might dump in that area. Keep an eye on the coolant level in the expansion tank.

Finally, it's to your benefit to provide your truck details when asking for help. Year, trim level, engine, among others, are all important, and can make a difference in the answers you get back. Most of us just add those details to our signatures.

Users who are viewing this thread