5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine size

almost firewood

Reaction score
Hello All, I am currently in search of a used Rebel. There are several in my area buy I am having a difficult time deciding which engine I want. V6 or V8. I occassionally pull a 3000 lb boat,motor,trailer fully loaded, and haul logs for my business. Most of the time I will just be doing normal driving. I live in Minnesota so no Mountains here! Any thoughts on the matter.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello All, I am currently in search of a used Rebel. There are several in my area buy I am having a difficult time deciding which engine I want. V6 or V8. I occassionally pull a 3000 lb boat,motor,trailer fully loaded, and haul logs for my business. Most of the time I will just be doing normal driving. I live in Minnesota so no Mountains here! Any thoughts on the matter.
Do you keep your vehicles or trade up? Check the warranty with the V6 as it has the etorque, V8 has etorque and no etorque. I contemplated the V6 as my 2001 has only 230 Hp and I felt I did not need the 395 Hp Hemi and the V6 was adequate for my needs. I was not willing to commit however to an unknown/unproven (etorque) and stuck with the standard Hemi as I keep my vehicles. If you trade in/up within the warranty period this will not concern you. Very happy with my Hemi and have averaged about 16.75 mpg for 16,000 miles and a 2,000 mile interstate trip I averaged 20.26 (75 + - mph). My 2001 window sticker was 16 mpg highway.

almost firewood

Reaction score
Do you keep your vehicles or trade up? Check the warranty with the V6 as it has the etorque, V8 has etorque and no etorque. I contemplated the V6 as my 2001 has only 230 Hp and I felt I did not need the 395 Hp Hemi and the V6 was adequate for my needs. I was not willing to commit however to an unknown/unproven (etorque) and stuck with the standard Hemi as I keep my vehicles. If you trade in/up within the warranty period this will not concern you. Very happy with my Hemi and have averaged about 16.75 mpg for 16,000 miles and a 2,000 mile interstate trip I averaged 20.26 (75 + - mph). My 2001 window sticker was 16 mpg highway.
Thanks. I drive my cars into the ground! Currently driving a 2001 Tahoe with 310000 miles on it. The poor thing is really rusting away. It also was never designed to haul logs inside, however it has seen as many as 6 18" 6 ft long logs inside! I should have taken pictures!

Jako

Reaction score
Thanks. I drive my cars into the ground! Currently driving a 2001 Tahoe with 310000 miles on it. The poor thing is really rusting away. It also was never designed to haul logs inside, however it has seen as many as 6 18" 6 ft long logs inside! I should have taken pictures!
I believe the etorque is covered up to 80,000 miles and 5 years and seems to me the biggest benefit would be local driving.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
Welcome. My brother in law had a v6 in his Ram and he did a lot of hauling and towing with it but it was a 2015 so no etorque .

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
V8. The V6 is a good engine; but I think its under powered for a full size 4x4 truck. Your engine will be operating at high RPM with that V6 pulling your boat at highway speeds; you won't even notice the boat there with a Hemi. You will get a lot of varying opinions on this topic. My personal opinion is that a 4x2 truck used for grocery getting and occasional home improvement runs is where the V6 belongs. A 4x4 (especially an "Off Road" truck like Rebel) that will be used to tow and haul should have the Hemi so that you always have the power to do what you want. Its better to have more power than you need every day than to not have enough that one time that you do need it. Take it from someone who towed around a Bass Boat with a Pentastar V6 for two or three years; the Hemi is the way to go.

almost firewood

Reaction score
V8. The V6 is a good engine; but I think its under powered for a full size 4x4 truck. Your engine will be operating at high RPM with that V6 pulling your boat at highway speeds; you won't even notice the boat there with a Hemi. You will get a lot of varying opinions on this topic. My personal opinion is that a 4x2 truck used for grocery getting and occasional home improvement runs is where the V6 belongs. A 4x4 (especially an "Off Road" truck like Rebel) that will be used to tow and haul should have the Hemi so that you always have the power to do what you want. Its better to have more power than you need every day than to not have enough that one time that you do need it. Take it from someone who towed around a Bass Boat with a Pentastar V6 for two or three years; the Hemi is the way to go.
Awesome! thanks for the info. I will narrow my search to V8!

NatGNJ

Reaction score
If someone were considering a Rebel (with the added weight of the off-road focused gear), or planning to tow, it's best to get the V8 (IMO). I have a V6 Crew Cab 4x4. The truck hauls well and moves around town pretty well. Highway power is acceptable. In normal driving, I can only say I wish I had the V8 when going up steep grades or when aggressive acceleration is needed (tricky merges). Otherwise, I am rather happy with the V6 and the mileage.

Last edited:

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always say bigger is better especially if you are towing. I tow a 6,000lb boat (including trailer and gear) through the hills of PA with ease having the hemi/3.92. Best of luck in your hunt (y)

Users who are viewing this thread