5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine Rattle at 2,000 RPM ?

Zipper100

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone can help me here since Ram is telling me "The characteristic you describe however, is a function of your vehicle's design and there is no repair. It is not a defect in materials, workmanship, manufacturing or factory preparation and is, therefore, not covered under the new-vehicle limited warranty."

For 10,000 miles or so, my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie has had this "rattle" coming from the engine. The rattle only appears until I hit 2,000 RPM then magically stops. This doesn't occur when in park and revving the engine at all.

The dealer near me repaired a pulley in the engine previously to "fix" it, but it came back after a couple days. Now, Ram is telling me the rattle is a design feature?

Anyone had a similar symptom? I've never had such a trash response from a customer service rep before. Between 2 sets of brakes to combat squealing, nearly 10 months of poor Bluetooth audio and no available fix, I'm over this truck. Nothing but a shiny bag of problems since I've taken possession of it.

Side note - 2 weeks ago I had a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn for a rental when my windshield was replaced. That truck didn't have the rattle at all.

I'll try and get a video / audio in the morning for this. That might provide a better explanation of the issue.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Zipper100

Reaction score
Rattle, or whatever it is occurs at 6 second mark.

Rattle is more faint but starts around the 9 second mark.

Thanks for any input. I hate being told "it's nothing" when it's obviously something.

Bullcycles

Reaction score
Old thread I know, but did you ever find the issue. Have the same issue on my 20 1500 5.7. Anyone else have the issue?

friendshipm

Reaction score
I have the same issue with mine. It only happens when you are on the threshold of being in ECO mode. right as the cylinders are shutting down.
I too have a rental BH at the moment and there is no issue with this one. Apparently the dealer has an ECM update that is supposed to combat this, but it only made mine "less aggressive" but still very apparent.

Sgoodwin1

Reaction score
Mine has an acceleration rattle noise as well but it’s like a ratcheting sound but disappears after 2k rpms. No idea what it is

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If switching to higher octane reduces or eliminates the noise it's engine ping

Mudstone

Reaction score
I had an odd rattle sound that seemed to kick in going in/out of 4th gear. For whatever reason I switched from (Canadian) 89 octane to 91 octane one day (towing). The rattle ceased and the engine seems to go into ECO more than before using 89. 91 is only 5 cents (per litre) more so I just run 91 now.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone can help me here since Ram is telling me "The characteristic you describe however, is a function of your vehicle's design and there is no repair. It is not a defect in materials, workmanship, manufacturing or factory preparation and is, therefore, not covered under the new-vehicle limited warranty."

For 10,000 miles or so, my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie has had this "rattle" coming from the engine. The rattle only appears until I hit 2,000 RPM then magically stops. This doesn't occur when in park and revving the engine at all.

The dealer near me repaired a pulley in the engine previously to "fix" it, but it came back after a couple days. Now, Ram is telling me the rattle is a design feature?

Anyone had a similar symptom? I've never had such a trash response from a customer service rep before. Between 2 sets of brakes to combat squealing, nearly 10 months of poor Bluetooth audio and no available fix, I'm over this truck. Nothing but a shiny bag of problems since I've taken possession of it.

Side note - 2 weeks ago I had a 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn for a rental when my windshield was replaced. That truck didn't have the rattle at all.

I'll try and get a video / audio in the morning for this. That might provide a better explanation of the issue.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
As an aside, I'm taking mine in for a crooked crank pulley and vibration. Can you tell me anymore about what you had fixed? Thanks.

Dexxa8

Reaction score
Hi, i ave same problem, did you found from where ?

HelixRAM

Reaction score
I have the same rattle, on acceleration around 2000 RPM. I told the dealer they replaced the right side exhaust manifold but that did not fix the issue. Anyone else find the fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/