5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine overheating

pluto665

Reaction score
Bought a 2021 Ram 1500 with 5.7 e-tourque . Everything fine until the engine overheating light comes on and stays for 30-45 seconds and goes away , switch to engine info display and the next time it does it the temp is at 255 degrees and again for same amount of time and goes away . Usually does it on the interstate around 80 mph but has done it at other times also if you run it hard . Made an appointment and took to the local Ram dealer and no codes were stored and of course didn't overheat when test drove . Has done it several times since also . has 42,000 miles so good thing I bought extended warranty . Anyone else have similar problems , I need help ! thanks

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Bought a 2021 Ram 1500 with 5.7 e-tourque . Everything fine until the engine overheating light comes on and stays for 30-45 seconds and goes away , switch to engine info display and the next time it does it the temp is at 255 degrees and again for same amount of time and goes away . Usually does it on the interstate around 80 mph but has done it at other times also if you run it hard . Made an appointment and took to the local Ram dealer and no codes were stored and of course didn't overheat when test drove . Has done it several times since also . has 42,000 miles so good thing I bought extended warranty . Anyone else have similar problems , I need help ! thanks
Try replacing the engine temp sensor

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Double check to make sure your radiator is clean, there was a previous poster who had overheating issue after buying a used 1500, turns out the radiator was packed with mud but he couldn't see it from the outside and the dealer didn't catch it.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also, make sure your coolant is topped off. If it gets an air pocket, it could indicate being hot until the fluid gets back on the sensor. If your reservoir is full, should be okay.

moparjoe

Reaction score
Back several years ago I purchased a 2004 ram 1500, 5.7. After having it a couple months it started to overheat when I stood on the gas. I kind of babied it along hoping for a miracle. It had a 12 pound radiator cap. I took a pair of wire cutters and cut the spring on the cap and it's been 4 years and it has not overheated since I did that.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Rsdistor cap shouldn't cause a vehicle to overheat, as long as it's holding pressure. By cutting the spring, you basically made it a 0psi radiator cap. Meaning you will boil your coolant easier. pretty sure it had a 16lb cap from factory. The high pressure raising the boiling point of the coolant.
Back several years ago I purchased a 2004 ram 1500, 5.7. After having it a couple months it started to overheat when I stood on the gas. I kind of babied it along hoping for a miracle. It had a 12 pound radiator cap. I took a pair of wire cutters and cut the spring on the cap and it's been 4 years and it has not overheated since I did that.

HEMI19

Reaction score
Residual casting sand from the engine block is a huge issue with the 5.7 HEMI, dealer ended up replacing my radiator and thermostat.

Users who are viewing this thread