5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine Oil Filters

P2geo

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I just purchased my 2nd RAM which is a 2020 1500 Laramie Longhorn Hemi etorque. First one was a lease so I never thought twice about oil changes or filters. After researching oil and filters recommendations for a couple weeks it’s safe to say I’m more than a little overwhelmed with options. I have 2 questions I’m looking for guidance with.

#1 If most of use are doing regular oil changes at 5-6k miles why are so many opting for high end high mileage oil filters? Such as M1, XP, etc, my understanding is they would actually be less beneficial due to reduced filtration via larger micron ratings?

#2 Does anyone know the tech specs for MOPAR OEM filters? Can’t find them anywhere.

Thanks!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey guys, so I just purchased my 2nd RAM which is a 2020 1500 Laramie Longhorn Hemi etorque. First one was a lease so I never thought twice about oil changes or filters. After researching oil and filters recommendations for a couple weeks it’s safe to say I’m more than a little overwhelmed with options. I have 2 questions I’m looking for guidance with.

#1 If most of use are doing regular oil changes at 5-6k miles why are so many opting for high end high mileage oil filters? Such as M1, XP, etc, my understanding is they would actually be less beneficial due to reduced filtration via larger micron ratings?

#2 Does anyone know the tech specs for MOPAR OEM filters? Can’t find them anywhere.

Thanks!

I can give you the number of the factory one with is MO-339, no idea on tech specs however.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
stick with the MOPAR or the WIX .. very similar .. and all metal webbing inside.

I ran nothing but FRAM on one of my other engines and after losing 3 engines and someone on here showing me the failures of the FRAM, I won't get one again. I only liked them because of the black non-slip end.

There are various posts related to yours on here, good reading !

P2geo

Reaction score
Are you referring to the standard WIX or the XP model?

P2geo

Reaction score
stick with the MOPAR or the WIX .. very similar .. and all metal webbing inside.

I ran nothing but FRAM on one of my other engines and after losing 3 engines and someone on here showing me the failures of the FRAM, I won't get one again. I only liked them because of the black non-slip end.

There are various posts related to yours on here, good reading !

Are you referring to the standard WIX or the XP model?

I keep reading about the “crappy” FRAM but their Synthetic model seems to dominate at 99% filtration at only 20 microns. Again I know nothing about these filters just going off spec sheets

zlman

Reaction score
Fram ultra synthetic filters are highly regarded by BITOG forum. I just changed oil last week and used this filter, going forward I will be using Wix XP(just received a filter1.com order). I don't agonize over filters, did a little research and picked these two brands as my go to's.

Deezl

Reaction score
+1 on the Fram XG, or Mobil 1. better to pay a few dollars now, for the extra protection, then a lot later. You bought a $40, 000 or more truck. Spend a few dollars now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

P2geo

Reaction score
+1 on the Fram XG, or Mobil 1. better to pay a few dollars now, for the extra protection, then a lot later. You bought a $40, 000 or more truck. Spend a few dollars now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Agreed, price of the filter is irrelevant to me as it’s only a few extra bucks. However the Mobil1 filter is rated at something like 30+ microns so from my understanding its filtering larger particles and smaller debris are getting through. Am I missing something??

U

User_3336

You might experience a bit higher oil pressure using a Mobil-1 filter. The holes in the filter are quiet smaller.
But they are good filters.

Agreed, price of the filter is irrelevant to me as it’s only a few extra bucks. However the Mobil1 filter is rated at something like 30+ microns so from my understanding its filtering larger particles and smaller debris are getting through. Am I missing something??

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Or just watch for those 3/$99 dealer service deals (hemi) or even 4/$100 service coupons from FCA. With my low annual usage I just did the dealer 3/$99 and gave the 4/$100 coupon away. I barely can use the 3/$99 annually anyway. No tire rotationon those, that’s $10 extra at my local dealer.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used a Wix XP last oil change with my normal oil (Pennzoil Platinum Ultra). Oil pressure seems a bit lower with the Wix and I swear the lifters are louder. I'll being sticking with MOPAR from here on.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I used a Wix XP last oil change with my normal oil (Pennzoil Platinum Ultra). Oil pressure seems a bit lower with the Wix and I swear the lifters are louder. I'll being sticking with MOPAR from here on.
With the guys all worried about the “hemi tick” and possible catastrophic lifter/cam damage due to a publicized fatal design flaw in the hemi, might as well use something that keeps them quieter/better oiled.

U

User_3336

Most recent one was 3 oil changes for $70. unfortunately, they get you for the extra 2 quarts needed to fill the HEMI.

The plan code was ECP23N.

Or just watch for those 3/$99 dealer service deals (hemi) or even 4/$100 service coupons from FCA. With my low annual usage I just did the dealer 3/$99 and gave the 4/$100 coupon away. I barely can use the 3/$99 annually anyway. No tire rotationon those, that’s $10 extra at my local dealer.

P2geo

Reaction score

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Heres a "fan fave" for us; given the PITA oil filter locale. [Pic at bottom]

Other than that, this topic is so broad and worn out, you can find defense for everything under the sun.
IMO:
- oil type (full synth only)
- full-synth oil interval (10,000)
- oil filter (anything but fram)

Screenshot_20200607-225527_Chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread