5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine knocking/pinging while driving (2019 Ram Rebel; 5.7L V8 VVT)

MandoDane

Reaction score
There is a knocking/pinging noise from the engine while driving. I normally hear it when at slower speeds while in a higher gear. Then, when it shifts to a lower gear, RPMS go up and it goes away. It also happens when I accelerate from a full stop or when I really get on the gas. I've read about the Hemi "tick" but this is while driving and not sitting idle. I use 87 octane gas and don't use and additives or boosters. This is my first Ram truck and am curious if this is common with this engine.

Thanks for any and all info!

jmr

Reaction score
I only run mid grade 89 octane as the manual suggests. You might try it out and see if that helps.

Per the manual.
This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded gasoline having an octane range of 87 to 89 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of 89 octane “Plus” gasoline is recommended for optimum performance and fuel economy. While operating on gasoline with an octane number of 87, hearing a light knocking sound from the engine is not a cause for concern. However, if the engine is heard making a heavy knocking sound, see your dealer immediately. Use of gasoline with an octane number lower than 87 can cause engine failure and may void or not be covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty

MandoDane

Reaction score
I only run mid grade 89 octane as the manual suggests. You might try it out and see if that helps.

Per the manual.
This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded gasoline having an octane range of 87 to 89 as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of 89 octane “Plus” gasoline is recommended for optimum performance and fuel economy. While operating on gasoline with an octane number of 87, hearing a light knocking sound from the engine is not a cause for concern. However, if the engine is heard making a heavy knocking sound, see your dealer immediately. Use of gasoline with an octane number lower than 87 can cause engine failure and may void or not be covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty
Thanks jmr for the info. I'll try that on my next fill up for sure. Good thing gas is so cheap these days.

Patamaran

Reaction score
If you are dead set on 87 octane, try swapping brands. It should run perfectly fine on 87. Some brands say 87 but that might not be what you are actually getting.

There a re a few people running 85 octane without issue at higher altitudes, but obviously that isnt reccomended, it is below the minimum acceptable rating.

Last edited:

jiffi

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with my 3.6, changed fuel brands, and have had no worries since then.

ManBOOYA

Reaction score
There is a knocking/pinging noise from the engine while driving. I normally hear it when at slower speeds while in a higher gear. Then, when it shifts to a lower gear, RPMS go up and it goes away. It also happens when I accelerate from a full stop or when I really get on the gas. I've read about the Hemi "tick" but this is while driving and not sitting idle. I use 87 octane gas and don't use and additives or boosters. This is my first Ram truck and am curious if this is common with this engine.

Thanks for any and all info!
Mine does the same thing. It does it slightly less in Costco fuel but it still does it (87 or 91 octane)

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
My truck constantly pinged with 87 so I tried 89...it still pinged. So I went to 91 and now it’s fine. My 5.7 hemi in my challenger was fine with 87 but this truck is different for some reason! Sucks I have to pay for premium but oh well, it runs good now

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck constantly pinged with 87 so I tried 89...it still pinged. So I went to 91 and now it’s fine. My 5.7 hemi in my challenger was fine with 87 but this truck is different for some reason! Sucks I have to pay for premium but oh well, it runs good now
Did you try different brands of gas before switching octanes?

Did you ever try non-ethanol vs ethanol?

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
To be honest, no I didn’t even think about it because (personally) I feel like all gas from the big companies is the same. I guess I might try it next time but we’ll see. Octane numbers should be regulated for the most part. And even if say Chevron’s 89 works but at Arco I need 91, the cost will balance out because Arco is always cheaper ya know?

Users who are viewing this thread