5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine knock/pinging on 89 octane

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Your MSD is not coming on under load. You have some pinging on a steep hill for a couple hundred yards going slow? Go back to the much more economical 87 and downshift for the whole 250 yards and call it good.

Ramjack

Reaction score
You can turn mds off or keep from engaging either with tuner or the gear switch and put it on 8th. Also if you are pinging on any grade fuel you need to have it looked at. Mine pings like crazy with or without tune under medium to heavy throttleor different fuels. Turned out to be bad lifter. So something to think about
Are you sure that was pinging (i.e. detonation)? If you had a bad lifter, maybe you were hearing metal-on-metal contact.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I know there a bunch of threads on 5.7 octane usage, but I didn't see one specifically on this topic. I have a 2019 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4.

I have a pretty long (250 yds or so) and steep hill at the entrance to my subdivision. I had noticed some knocking under load while going up the hill. Top speed is max 20 mph. Had been running 87 consistently (which isn't necessarily something I should have done). I ran it dry and filled up with 89. $75 given the current fuel gouging.

While going up the same hill, I still hear the knocking. In fact it seems worse.

1. Should I hear a difference immediately?
2. If not, should I run 93?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
That's really a bummer. Pinging is so annoying and there is no excuse for modern vehicles to do it unless there is a (fixable) problem. I hope you don't get the same runaround from your dealer that I've gotten with prior vehicles that had this problem. They would run a few tests and check for codes and tell me nothing was wrong. They'd try to tell me that some pinging is normal (bull$hit) and to try different brands of fuel. Never got resolved. I hope you have a better outcome. Don't let them convince you that there is no problem. Please keep us posted !!

Jlr6986

Reaction score
I know there a bunch of threads on 5.7 octane usage, but I didn't see one specifically on this topic. I have a 2019 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4.

I have a pretty long (250 yds or so) and steep hill at the entrance to my subdivision. I had noticed some knocking under load while going up the hill. Top speed is max 20 mph. Had been running 87 consistently (which isn't necessarily something I should have done). I ran it dry and filled up with 89. $75 given the current fuel gouging.

While going up the same hill, I still hear the knocking. In fact it seems worse.

1. Should I hear a difference immediately?
2. If not, should I run 93?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
I have a 2019 Bighorn and I run 93 octane since the day I got it. For those who say the octane doesn't matter, I say "results may vary." The only issue I have had at all on my baby is the rear window crack, which wasn't leaking but Ram fixed it under warranty. As for the pinging, if you want something that works almost immediately, I suggest using LOS (Lucas Oil Stabilizer). It's in a white bottle and costs around $10-$12/bottle. I use it every oil change. I had a 2008 Ford F-150 that would tick (sticky lifters), and the LOS stopped it after driving about 20 miles. I hope this helps!

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
My truck constantly pinged with 87. The dealership thought maybe a bad lifter but then said try changing the octane, so I tried 89; still pinging. Then I tried 91 and it went away. But it sucks paying 4.50/gal for premium when the truck is supposed to run on 89 which is like 20 cents cheaper a gallon. When you only get 12mpg it adds up!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck constantly pinged with 87. The dealership thought maybe a bad lifter but then said try changing the octane, so I tried 89; still pinging. Then I tried 91 and it went away. But it sucks paying 4.50/gal for premium when the truck is supposed to run on 89 which is like 20 cents cheaper a gallon. When you only get 12mpg it adds up!
That's why I have a Costco membership. I hardly ever go into the store any more but with 91 octane at $4.20/gallon the membership pays for itself as I drive almost 2K miles a month. Even with a 33 gallon tank I'm filling up at least once a week.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
That's why I have a Costco membership. I hardly ever go into the store any more but with 91 octane at $4.20/gallon the membership pays for itself as I drive almost 2K miles a month. Even with a 33 gallon tank I'm filling up at least once a week.
Dang that sucks! I’ve noticed every time I fill up at Costco I definitely get worse mileage though. Always about 1mpg lower and I reset my trip each time and I drive the exact same amount & style each week.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The nearest Costco for me is about 40 miles away. I am still using Murphy USA 87. Only use 89 if I need the full power of my Hemi. Its been running fine so far

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dang that sucks! I’ve noticed every time I fill up at Costco I definitely get worse mileage though. Always about 1mpg lower and I reset my trip each time and I drive the exact same amount & style each week.
Unusual. I've not noticed much of a difference between stations. It's all the same gas until the additive package is dumped in then....blammo!...it's Mobil, Shell, Costco, Bill's Gas & Sip, etc.

The nearest Costco for me is about 40 miles away. I am still using Murphy USA 87. Only use 89 if I need the full power of my Hemi. Its been running fine so far
I put more stock into Top Tier stations than octane:

There's a reason that Johnny's Gas, Bait & Tackle is 20 cents a gallon cheaper than Chevron.

I used to not pay attention as my last truck was a diesel which the only thing I really cared about was finding a station that got used a lot so the fuel wasn't stagnant. From there I used additives for everything else (cetane, lubricity, etc.).

With all this technology, tight tolerances, and sensitive equipment/programming I am not rushing to start dumping bottles of stuff in my tank to pump through the fuel system and cylinders. I'm sure I'm being overly conservative but I'm perfectly happy running Top Tier gas and not worrying about what bottle (and how much) to add each fill-up. Gas around me is pricey enough without having a shelf full of custom blend additives to deal with.

Just my .02

Last edited:

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
CA prices being insane as they are I have been using 87 recently from Mobil; no ping/knock, same mpg, no noticeable power difference.

U

User_72751

The knock sensors should detect and eliminate the pre detonation almost instantly. I would have the knock sensor looked at and if all is ok there then I think something else is going on.

Ramjack

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Bighorn and I run 93 octane since the day I got it. For those who say the octane doesn't matter, I say "results may vary." The only issue I have had at all on my baby is the rear window crack, which wasn't leaking but Ram fixed it under warranty. As for the pinging, if you want something that works almost immediately, I suggest using LOS (Lucas Oil Stabilizer). It's in a white bottle and costs around $10-$12/bottle. I use it every oil change. I had a 2008 Ford F-150 that would tick (sticky lifters), and the LOS stopped it after driving about 20 miles. I hope this helps!
That's not pinging. It's valvetrain noise. Two very different things. But I'm glad you've had sucess with Lucas Oil Stabilizer in reducing valvetrain noise. This will almost certainly help somebody.

Ramjack

Reaction score
The knock sensors should detect and eliminate the pre detonation almost instantly. I would have the knock sensor looked at and if all is ok there then I think something else is going on.
One would think, but that's not always the case.

Drewster

Reaction score
If the knock occurs outside of a given window, the ECU won't do squat. The manual specifically mentions that pinging may occur with lower octane fuels, implying it's expected behavior.

For folks having issues with pinging even at 89 octane, I'm curious if you let the engine idle a lot - it's also noted that idling to warm up the engine can create excessive deposits (which will also lead to knock/ pinging)

silver billet

Reaction score
If the knock occurs outside of a given window, the ECU won't do squat. The manual specifically mentions that pinging may occur with lower octane fuels, implying it's expected behavior.

For folks having issues with pinging even at 89 octane, I'm curious if you let the engine idle a lot - it's also noted that idling to warm up the engine can create excessive deposits (which will also lead to knock/ pinging)

Mine pings and my truck does not idle ever, except in the winter for a few minutes (need that remote start for cold temps).

However it pinged from day one. I ordered it in april 2019, took delivery beginning of June 2019, only ran 89 or 91 and it pinged that summer. So its not related to idling in my case. If I run 87 its pretty bad especially towing a load up a hill in the summer, like somebody is shaking a few marbles in a glass jar.

silver billet

Reaction score
I'm thinking of installing a catch can to reduce pinging, wonder if anyone here has tried that with good results?

Drewster

Reaction score
Mine pings and my truck does not idle ever, except in the winter for a few minutes (need that remote start for cold temps).

However it pinged from day one. I ordered it in april 2019, took delivery beginning of June 2019, only ran 89 or 91 and it pinged that summer. So its not related to idling in my case. If I run 87 its pretty bad especially towing a load up a hill in the summer, like somebody is shaking a few marbles in a glass jar.

Yeah that's no bueno - do you fill up at the same station? Might be time to drain the tank and refill with Costco/ Top Tier gas

silver billet

Reaction score
Yeah that's no bueno - do you fill up at the same station? Might be time to drain the tank and refill with Costco/ Top Tier gas

I fill up all over the place. I try to stick to "Esso", "Pioneer", etc, quite common gas station chains where I live. The one time last summer I got caught with my pants down and had to fill up at some 2 bit gas station with an "out of order" supreme tank and got 87 while towing my trailer back home. That's when it got really bad, going up some moderate hills. I was not happy that day to say the least.

Normally I just hear the odd ping here and there on 89, little more when working it hard. I already know I'll get the dreaded "can't reproduce" from my dealer so there is no point in taking it to them. They won't care as long as there is some evidence of pistons still moving up and down.

I have big plans for this truck anyway, a head and cam package and a tune, possibly with shorties, hoping to get another +/- 100 hp out of it (which is what the shop says it will do after that). After the tune, I'm really hoping the ping is gone.

tidefan1967

Reaction score
I’m on my third Ram and honestly I’ve never heard any spark knock out of any of them and I generally alternate between 87 and 89 with an occasional drag race thrown in.

Drewster

Reaction score
I fill up all over the place. I try to stick to "Esso", "Pioneer", etc, quite common gas station chains where I live. The one time last summer I got caught with my pants down and had to fill up at some 2 bit gas station with an "out of order" supreme tank and got 87 while towing my trailer back home. That's when it got really bad, going up some moderate hills. I was not happy that day to say the least.

Normally I just hear the odd ping here and there on 89, little more when working it hard. I already know I'll get the dreaded "can't reproduce" from my dealer so there is no point in taking it to them. They won't care as long as there is some evidence of pistons still moving up and down.

I have big plans for this truck anyway, a head and cam package and a tune, possibly with shorties, hoping to get another +/- 100 hp out of it (which is what the shop says it will do after that). After the tune, I'm really hoping the ping is gone.
If you're already pinging on 89 octane, you're probably going to want to look into that before you turn it up... granted, swapping heads should be a pretty thorough refresh

Users who are viewing this thread