5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine issue

Bryan1242

Reaction score
Hello to all,

So im a new to this whole ram thing. I bought the 2019 1500 ram 5.7 w/ e-torque crew cab and the big bed. So overall love the whole revamp of the truck what i dont love is issues at 900 miles. So i started the truck cold tonight and it made the very deep sounding noise from the engine bay and i drove it about 15 miles home make that horrible noise the truck drove perfect no lihts on dash or anything i got home no leaks all the temps were fine idled fine but when driving it the noise was such a low almost like a bass drop it was rattling my doorpanels. After letting it sit 5 minutes i drove it around my neighborhood no noise. Very frusterating cause it will be a waste to bring it to the dealer if it doesnt make the noise.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The active noise cancellation system built into the stereo has been known to make unwanted noises instead of cancelling noise. It is supposed to make equal but opposite polarity sound in the cab that cancels engine and road noise. If it gets uncalibrated it can make low frequencies that are strange. I read on this forum that the dealer can recalibrate it as a possible fix. Perhaps that is what you experienced?

Bryan1242

Reaction score
The active noise cancellation system built into the stereo has been known to make unwanted noises instead of cancelling noise. It is supposed to make equal but opposite polarity sound in the cab that cancels engine and road noise. If it gets uncalibrated it can make low frequencies that are strange. I read on this forum that the dealer can recalibrate it as a possible fix. Perhaps that is what you experienced?

Yeah it was constant low frequency going with the decels of the motor almost makes something sound unbalanced ive heard alot of different bad noises in cars but that was a new one. Ill call dealer bout it today. Thanks for the insight.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let us know what they find. Hopefully it's something they can reproduce. "No problem found" is a frustrating thing....but they can't fix what doesn't seem to be broken. You might want to mention you heard there is a recalibration others have had done. There may be a TSB for the issue they can look up.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is the TSB for what may be your issue. The full TSB is posted under the resource tab above.

RAM 1500 Pickup
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after April 16, 2018 (MDH 0416XX) on or
before April 27, 2018 (MDH 0427XX) equipped with Active Noise Control System
(Sales Code JLW) and 6 Speakers (Sales Code RCG).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe hearing a drone or booming noise coming from the audio system

Bryan1242

Reaction score
Let us know what they find. Hopefully it's something they can reproduce. "No problem found" is a frustrating thing....but they can't fix what doesn't seem to be broken. You might want to mention you heard there is a recalibration others have had done. There may be a TSB for the issue they can look up.

I just spoke with the dealership they said they are going to look into it and want a test drive hopefully it will happen for them we will see will update when i get to the bottom of this.

DutchRods

Reaction score
My truck did the same thing, sounds almost like the bump strips on the side of the highway. I was able to bring it to my dealership while it was acting up. It has to do with the noise cancellation system as described above. They reset the system and recalibrated it. The ATMM(auto tuned mass modules) and the active noise cancellation system. The atmm’s are located on the frame basically behind the front wheels. Hope this helps. So far so good with my truck, hasn’t done it since. About a week or so now.

Users who are viewing this thread