5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine hours! Let’s see what you have.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wooohooo I'm king idle, well at least so far. Roughly 1/3 of mine is idle time, have had it since June and love using remote start during summer/winter to get things comfortable. I won't keep a ram long enough to worry about idle time, definitely not out of warranty, so I figure I may as well enjoy it to the fullest. Compared to getting into uncomfortably hot or cold interior, give me my idle!

View attachment 109891
Not to be a math Nazi, but your idle time is 1/4 of your total time. Idle time is another thing to consider in the next mpg thread.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hours.jpg

My "idle" time is 6.2% compared to your (OP's) 8.8%

I don't know if mine's high or not but I don't do many remote starts (or have a diesel that needs to be warmed up) plus I don't have an eTorque so when my engine is on it is on for the duration until I get to my destination.

Last edited:

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not to be a math Nazi, but your idle time is 1/4 of your total time. Idle time is another thing to consider in the next mpg thread.

Yeah I was looking at idle vs drive hours, otherwise I may be suddenly very bad at simple math! Still though, 1/4 of the total time is pretty good (or very bad to most on here).

Definitely hurts the mpg, but again vs the uncomfortable interior I'll take the trade off. I spent many years in not so nice vehicles, so I feel I need to take advantage of most of the nice features the truck has.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Yeah I was looking at idle vs drive hours, otherwise I may be suddenly very bad at simple math! Still though, 1/4 of the total time is pretty good (or very bad to most on here).

Definitely hurts the mpg, but again vs the uncomfortable interior I'll take the trade off. I spent many years in not so nice vehicles, so I feel I need to take advantage of most of the nice features the truck has.
I agree. You only live once, so you might as well be comfortable.

jda03

Reaction score
View attachment 109762 Hit 1000hrs today so it made me Curious to see others engine hour totals vs mileage on their trucks. I feel like I never idle mine so 88 of the 1000hrs sounds high. Haven’t looked into the manual yet but I assume when the vehicle is in drive it counts towards drive time regardless if I’m moving or stopped. Otherwise including traffic stops that 88hr of idle seems more believable. Who knows. Let’s see those hours.

Thekidcasual

Reaction score
Compared to most mines high?! Idk if this is bad or not.

Attachments

• C772CD7D-164B-4635-A4D0-B66E0BDEDE09.jpeg
    C772CD7D-164B-4635-A4D0-B66E0BDEDE09.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 56

sd2134

Reaction score
Engine idle time was discussed at work the other day. The fleet manger stated that 3 vehicles were out of service for engine failures. The warranty claim is being denied due to excess idle time. Specifically for not factoring in maintenance (oil changes) for the idle hours. Forgot the exact number, the dealer said so many hours of idling equals an average number of miles driven.

Did a google search and found this https://www.automotive-fleet.com/325334/excessive-idling-can-create-pitfalls-voiding-warranty

I know some people like me do dot use the built in oil life indicator in the dash cluster and change oil before the warning. Just wondering if the oil life indicator factors in the idle hours for oil life?

silver billet

Reaction score
None of us who have posted our hours here need to worry about that though. Excessive idle hours is mainly done by taxi cabs, police cars, work trucks that run PTO's etc. This is why I think cop cars see a lot of lifter/cam failures, they don't change the oil every 320 hours which is 2 to 4 weeks.

sd2134

Reaction score
None of us who have posted our hours here need to worry about that though. Excessive idle hours is mainly done by taxi cabs, police cars, work trucks that run PTO's etc. This is why I think cop cars see a lot of lifter/cam failures, they don't change the oil every 320 hours which is 2 to 4 weeks.
I agree my post was referencing fleet vehicles with idle hours way above the other post on this page.

KevinT

Reaction score
I was scrolling through the maintenance menus on the instrument cluster and checked my engine hours. I surprised by the number of idle hours - roughly 21%. I live in Michigan and the winters are cold, but that seems high. I bought the Ram used with 28K miles and I think it had high idle hours from the original owner.

In comparing my average MPH (total miles / drive hours), I'm around 37 mph. 34-38 mph appears to be the norm based on the math for other members listed in this thread. HOWEVER, Silver Billet averages over 65 mph per his post 11/2/2021. And, there is only about 5% of engine time idling per the post above.

EDIT: It was pointed out those are kilometers, not miles.

I wonder what other useless information I can gather.

IMG_3967.jpg

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I was scrolling through the maintenance menus on the instrument cluster and checked my engine hours. I surprised by the number of idle hours - roughly 21%. I live in Michigan and the winters are cold, but that seems high. I bought the Ram used with 28K miles and I think it had high idle hours from the original owner.

In comparing my average MPH (total miles / drive hours), I'm around 37 mph. 34-38 mph appears to be the norm based on the math for other members listed in this thread. HOWEVER, Silver Billet averages over 65 mph per his post 11/2/2021 I think that's fantastic - talk about highway miles. And, there is only about 5% of engine time idling per the post above.

I wonder what other useless information I can gather.

View attachment 160821

Maybe 65 KPH...he's Canadian. 65 MPH would be very difficult to achieve.

silver billet

Reaction score
Ah yes, I see the km now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Yes, that works out to 40 mph average.

As an update, here is my current idle hours. 84 idle hours over 4 years of ownership and 4 winters of remote start, guess that's not too shabby!

idlehours2023.jpg.png

silver billet

Reaction score
That's very impressive. My hat is off to you, sir.

I don't really look at the hours too often and that's actually lower than I would have guessed to be honest. I do try not to let it idle, these engines are susceptible to lifter failure and one theory for the cause of that is high amounts of idling. I personally don't think idling causes it, but no harm in being cautious :)

dieldrin

Reaction score
I live on Long Island where highways suck, I take backroads everywhere I can, I drive 6 miles to work.
I only idle at traffic lights.
I'm at 19% idle time.
22.6 Mph
11.3 Mpg calculated
20230622_115851.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread