5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine detailing risks

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I feel like an idiot asking this but: What is the general consensus on engine detailing? I have a 2019 Ram Rebel 5.7L eTorque. Most of my previous vehicles were leases. Drive for 3 years, return to dealer, get something new. Only time I ever opened the hood was to periodically check oil, change the oil, or change the air filter. This truck I elected to buy to eventually keep as a 3rd vehicle for the house. The engine bay needs some love. Truck is well maintained with oil changes and maintenance but it pains me to see a lot of the grime building up.

Is the general procedure still the same? Cover sensitive electronics? Spray with degreaser? Rinse/light pressure wash?

I guess I'm a little reluctant with all the electronics on these motors. For example, the last motor I detailed was an old carb'd big block V8 and some diesels. Put a bag over the alternator and go to work.

Has anyone had any luck with a local detailer doing it for them?

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't do it as much but one more step I recommend. After pressure washing it, make sure you blow dry the engine using a leaf blower or some kind of compressed air and letting it sit for an hour to air dry.

For me, I think standing water in the hard to reach places hurt later down the line. That's why I use a leaf blower after the power wash.

2022 Ram Big Horn Back Country
2016 Dodge Charger scat pack
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm pretty careful with the engine bay, definitely cover up your electrics with a plastic bag or tin foil. I also cover the dip stick tube with a zip loc baggy and rubber band, cover the fuse box, etc.

Then I spray the engine bay with a automotive degreaser, use various detail brushes to agitate everything, and then light water pressure to wash it away. Once dry, I spray everything down with Lemon Pledge (or similar light detailer), wipe down with old micro-fiber towels I'm ready to throw away.

Better to be safe than sorry here, especially with water pressure. In reality, you don't have to clean your engine, it's mostly a cosmetic thing, don't risk screwing something mechanical for that.

TheWaterman83

Reaction score
I have to say, TheWaterman83 sure has great taste in trucks!

Do they even make Rebels in any other color than red? lol

I appreciate all the input. Seems like maybe some spot specific cleaning is the way to go.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Do they even make Rebels in any other color than red? lol

I appreciate all the input. Seems like maybe some spot specific cleaning is the way to go.

I know right :)

Though in reality, red is pretty rare on Rebels, it's mostly black, grey or white. We chose the right color.

I think spot cleaning with a wrung-out microfiber and a bucket of soapy water is a good choice if the engine isn't too dirty. Also a detail brush can really clean up those hard to reach areas without soaking everything.

cliffsta

Reaction score
I wouldn’t use a pressure washer, but that’s just me. I cover my alternator, fuse box, and anything else electric with plastic bags. I always spray a mild degreaser / cleaner such as purple power and rinse with the regular hose on a light setting. If I’m feeling froggy I’ll use some other cleaner to wipe black pieces down.

Dewey

Reaction score
I’ve always just used spray cleaner and wipe everything down with a rag. I’ve never once used pressured water and my motor and accessories always look like new even 5 years and over 100,000 miles later.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Man, you all are wussys with cleaning your egine bays. Just spray the sucker down with pressure washer(just not close up). Use whatever cleaning spray you desire, simple green, super tech foaming degreaser..... Let it sit for a few mi utes then spray it off again. I've never covered anything up. Just avoid spraying high pressure directly in fuse box/PCM. And let it sit for an hour or two before driving afterwards.

Went from this in June
PXL_20220611_210435815.jpg

To winning 1st place at one car show and 2nd place at another.
PXL_20221022_171746664.jpg

sep1006

Reaction score
I never cover anything and never have. Always kept under the hood just as clean as the outside.
Get the engine a little warm
Soak it in Simple Green
Let sit for 10 minutes or so
Then wash off with the water hose ( in shower mode )
Rev. the he!! out of the engine a few times then drive it around the block a couple of times to get out any standing water out
Once all dry I spray the entire engine / fenderwells with silicone spray

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online