5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine Break In.

Bubba1120

Reaction score
I have read the owner manual about engine break in and have a question for the group. I have 200 miles on my 24 Ram 5.7 Laramie

Per the manual, take it easy up to 300 miles. What about after that, is it ok to take on I 80 and set the cruise for 3 hrs at 80 mph?
I want to put some miles on it, past 500, so I can tow my trailer

Thank you

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Speed isn't a huge deal just vary the speed.
I wouldn't go 3 hours at 80 mpg myself, maybe do some 65, 80, 70. Give it a few hours to rest after an hour or so of driving non-stop so the metal can expand and stuff.

Realistically the break in period is more for long-term issues and if you tread the truck right you can likely ignore some of the break in recommendations' within reason.

PetePA

Reaction score
This is from the 2025 manual. Sounds like there's no towing issue with these after 60 miles but certainly will want to baby it.

"A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable. While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good breakin. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided."

2021QCBH

Reaction score
I did run 65 during the break in period because I had to get onto interstates for my route but I took it easy the first 60. The rest of the trip was 2 lane roads and I used WOT liberally once in 3rd gear to avoid axle damage but promote ring seat. Currently at 62,500 and it uses 0 detectable oil in a 7500 mile OCI.

On the converse, I picked up a 3.6 classic rental in feb with 16 miles on the clock. Drove off the lot and onto the highway at 75-80 mph. Drove it hard all week and put around 350 miles on it with no axle noise or other issues etc.

604LMDGUY

Reaction score
I did my break in by following the old rules. I changed engine oil after 600 miles or 1000 km. Now my engine runs great, and gas mileage is good. I didn't follow that on my previous truck, and it ended up running great but gas mileage sucked. Right now my V8 Hemi gives me better gas mileage than my previous V6 Frontier.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The day I got my truck, went straight to Bob's Discount Furniture, loaded a sectional couch, got on I-80 and drove 90miles to PA. I kept the speed under 70mph.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After 300 miles your break-in is done. Drive it normally.

Complex break ins and special break in oils are intended for engine builders (mostly small shops and backyard mechanics) who cannot consistently manufacture to precise tolerances. As a result they built engines tighter than desired tolerances and expected them to "break in" to the desired tolerances over miles of driving under specific conditions. Except, race engines are normally built loose.

However, major auto manufactures build to more consistent and precise tolerances and therefore do not require a lengthy formal break in period. Below is from the owners manual for a 1967 Chevelle I once owned.

Chevelle Manual.jpg

Oldphart

Reaction score
I did my break in by following the old rules. I changed engine oil after 600 miles or 1000 km. Now my engine runs great, and gas mileage is good. I didn't follow that on my previous truck, and it ended up running great but gas mileage sucked. Right now my V8 Hemi gives me better gas mileage than my previous V6 Frontier.
As a certified old guy, I went further than that as I have with every new vehicle I've purchased. Changed oil immediately after leaving the dealership with conventional. Changed again at 1000 & 2,500 miles. Went to synthetic with 5,000 mile changes after that. During the first 500 miles I frequently manually downshifted when coming to a stop. This creates a high vacuum and pulls oil into the cylinders to lap them in.
I can't remember any of my vehicles burning any oil between changes, including a 1990 Ranger with that POS 2.9 V-6. I've got 55k on the RAM and the only oil it "burns" is what is in the catch can.
Overkill to be sure and I await the money wasted and other comments. Flame suit on.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As a certified old guy, I went further than that as I have with every new vehicle I've purchased. Changed oil immediately after leaving the dealership with conventional. Changed again at 1000 & 2,500 miles. Went to synthetic with 5,000 mile changes after that. During the first 500 miles I frequently manually downshifted when coming to a stop. This creates a high vacuum and pulls oil into the cylinders to lap them in.
I can't remember any of my vehicles burning any oil between changes, including a 1990 Ranger with that POS 2.9 V-6. I've got 55k on the RAM and the only oil it "burns" is what is in the catch can.
Overkill to be sure and I await the money wasted and other comments. Flame suit on.

Better to be on this end than the one that does their first oil change at 10K. I'm probably in the middle, I don't change the oil right away, but I do an early 1,000 mi break-in change, then 5K or 1 year after that.

After my first oil analysis (on 2nd oil change) on my RAM showed a lot of break-in metals however, I may in the future throw in a 2,500 oil change before going with the 5K changes.

Are we doing more than we need to, probably, but hey, if it makes you feel good, why not?

Last edited:

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
follow the manual and you will be good.
watch this video to see why long break-ins are not needed anymore.
THIS IS NOT MY VIDEO, I ONLY POST IT FOR INFORMATION. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH IT KEEP YOUR COMMENTS TO YOURSELF.

start at 4:06

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've always taken it easy the first 500 miles and then giver hell driving normally and never once babied any motors after that.

Broke in at least 10 new truck motors and another half dozen new car motors over the last 35+ years and never once had an issue. Just use common sense and don't do full throttle starts or tow anything real heavy those first 500 miles and you'll be good.

I towed my boat on a 500 mile round trip at just over 400 miles on my current truck because I had no choice due to a pre-planned trip. Weighing just under 3000 lbs fully loaded I wasn't real worried about that. Barely knew it was back there. Hit the 500 mile mark in a few hours. That's just a number they put out there to cover themselves. It's not a cut and dried number that's perfect for everyone.

Edit:Just noticed a post earlier say's 300 miles in the owners manual. That's changed from older trucks I owned that were 500 miles. Guess I shoulda read my owners manual.😆

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I've always taken it easy the first 500 miles and then giver hell driving normally and never once babied any motors after that.

Broke in at least 10 new truck motors and another half dozen new car motors over the last 35+ years and never once had an issue. Just use common sense and don't do full throttle starts or tow anything real heavy those first 500 miles and you'll be good.

I towed my boat on a 500 mile round trip at just over 400 miles on my current truck because I had no choice due to a pre-planned trip. Weighing just under 3000 lbs fully loaded I wasn't real worried about that. Barely knew it was back there. Hit the 500 mile mark in a few hours. That's just a number they put out there to cover themselves. It's not a cut and dried number that's perfect for everyone.

Edit:Just noticed a post earlier say's 300 miles in the owners manual. That's changed from older trucks I owned that were 500 miles. Guess I shoulda read my owners manual.😆
It says 500 in our 2022 manual, I read it with my own eyes.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Mine must have be a misprint.:p
What do you have on page 221?
I'm not sure if i'm making stuff up or blind.
I'm looing at my digital copy I saved back in 2022 not my paper one outside.
These 2 entries really should be on the same page imo.
If you can't tow for 500 miles, then break-in must be... 500 miles??
1714769834413.png

PetePA

Reaction score
What do you have on page 221?
I'm not sure if i'm making stuff up or blind.
I'm looing at my digital copy I saved back in 2022 not my paper one outside.
These 2 entries really should be on the same page imo.
If you can't tow for 500 miles, then break-in must be... 500 miles??
View attachment 182484
Sheesh, confirmed that's in the 2025 manual. They really buried that!

Users who are viewing this thread