5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

engine break in period and towing, will it have negative impacts in the long run?

spelunk68

Reaction score
Hello,
I just reached 27 miles on my newest ram :) I plan on towing a 6k pound 30 foot travel trailer on a trip next month and I will maybe have 100 miles on the truck. I will be putting around a thousand miles on it for the trip. Will towing a trailer for most of the break in period have any negative affects on the engine? This is probably a stupid question but I am curious on the thoughts of others. Also most of the driving will be in the mountains.

spelunk68

Reaction score
You need to get out there and drive. 73 miles in the next 10 days? You won't even be comfortable with all the controls or have the seat adjusted perfectly before your trip!
yeah it is so different than my 09 I had since new I just traded in lol, a lot of confusing stuff like this lane keep assist and I am not used to this etorque and 8 speed trans with the regeneritive stuff when you let off the gas. I don't drive much unless I am going to be going camping, my 09 I just traded in (I just got the camper so it never pulled it) had 44k miles :ROFLMAO:Someone is going to get a amazing truck, it is the first of the 4th gen bought back in 08 actually, I got it days after the new body style was released. No Hemi tick, I changed the oil once a year with mobile one 15k extended and tried not to drive it in the snow. The most expensive ever fix on it besides the tires was an emergency break cable and that was at my last inspection while waiting for the new truck I ordered. That was a painful inspection and waste of 800 bucks (they also had to remove the fuel tank too because of one of the strap mounts got rusted out somehow)

RonF

Reaction score
Per the Ram Truck manual:

CAUTION!
Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles (805 km) the new vehicle is driven.
The engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.
Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle.
This helps the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS — GASOLINE ENGINE A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable. While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.

The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur.

NOTE: A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted as a problem. Please check your oil level with the engine oil indicator often during the break-in period. Add oil as required.

Quint

Reaction score
For a few nights after I got my 2021, I drove around to break in the engine. It was fun. Then I hooked up my boat and took the slow route up north, which is exactly 500 miles round trip. I would be weary about tossing on that heavy of a trailer before the engine is broken in.

I think of it this way. Chrysler doesn't have a financial incentive (besides saving on warranty work) by having you break in the engine. Therefore I trust when they state that it should be done. It may not be an issue but why take the chance, especially if you plan to keep the truck in the long run.

spelunk68

Reaction score
Thank you so much for this info, better take the dog on a few road trips first lol, also just informed the parents I am taking them garage sale'ing for the next 3 weeks every fri sat and sun

Last edited:

spelunk68

Reaction score
For a few nights after I got my 2021, I drove around to break in the engine. It was fun. Then I hooked up my boat and took the slow route up north, which is exactly 500 miles round trip. I would be weary about tossing on that heavy of a trailer before the engine is broken in.

I think of it this way. Chrysler doesn't have a financial incentive (besides saving on warranty work) by having you break in the engine. Therefore I trust when they state that it should be done. It may not be an issue but why take the chance, especially if you plan to keep the truck in the long run.
yeah I try to keep them for 10+ years

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Per the Ram Truck manual:

CAUTION!
Do not tow a trailer at all during the first 500 miles (805 km) the new vehicle is driven.
The engine, axle or other parts could be damaged.
Then, during the first 500 miles (805 km) that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 mph (80 km/h) and do not make starts at full throttle.
This helps the engine and other parts of the vehicle wear in at the heavier loads.

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS — GASOLINE ENGINE A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle. Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable. While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in. Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental and should be avoided.

The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil changes should be consistent with anticipated climate conditions under which vehicle operations will occur.

NOTE: A new engine may consume some oil during its first few thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted as a problem. Please check your oil level with the engine oil indicator often during the break-in period. Add oil as required.

I remember reading this when I got my truck.......we tow a small travel trailer and a car trailer......how does Ram expect anyone to tow 500 miles at 50 mph or less......that is very dangerous.....what are you suppose to do.....drive in circles for 500 miles in a parking lot. Their recommendation is interesting......here in Washington....many folks buy their Rams in Idaho at a big dealership for their pricing.....that dealership tells all their customers....no break in is required.....just open her up when you get on the road.......who knows????

Olguingo

Reaction score
I would try to have at least 500 miles on it to seat the gears and let the CPU and trans module learn your driving habitat

20GladRubicon

Reaction score
I drove the first 500 miles as recommended, and then towed my Imagine XLS17MKE (4500# dry, 5800# gross) 1,000 miles each way to Florida and back. I will admit though, I kept the cruise set at 60 and nothing has suffered. Now have a little over 5,000 miles on it. The only thing that pisses me off about this truck is the damn presets disappearing! 🤣

Quint

Reaction score
Find some country roads to tow on to keep it around 50mph. It's only dangerous if you limit your thinking to towing on interstates only.

Bavet

Reaction score
I drove the first 500 miles as recommended, and then towed my Imagine XLS17MKE (4500# dry, 5800# gross) 1,000 miles each way to Florida and back. I will admit though, I kept the cruise set at 60 and nothing has suffered. Now have a little over 5,000 miles on it. The only thing that pisses me off about this truck is the damn presets disappearing! 🤣
My dealer did a radio update in June and has fixed my presets disappearing.

spelunk68

Reaction score
Find some country roads to tow on to keep it around 50mph. It's only dangerous if you limit your thinking to towing on interstates only.
A casual trip across the northern tier of PA on route 6 sounds perfect right now, just to hit 500 miles first lol

Jchoplin90

Reaction score
I have had my truck for right at a year now, right at 12,500 miles. I towed our 4000lb camper to the mountains of nc with only 250 miles when I first got the truck. Everything has been fine except for a little weary about oil Temps compared to what others say. Should I be worried?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
50 mph or less for 500 miles does sound tough to do, however I wonder if you spread out your break-in, you would be fine going faster. Say after 1,000 miles, you can go 65 mph or so during your initial towing?

I will say, being in many military convoys with dueces and 5-tons on the freeway where we were lucky to hit 40 mph, 50 mph isn't so bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online