5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine Block Heater = 450 Watts

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an FYI for people out there. my 2021 EcoDiesel has the Mopar Cabled hooked up to it (part number - 68357826AA) that I did myself. Mine came with the heater but not the cord and the official Mopar part is a much tighter fit with built in connectors that I liked much more than the stuff I was finding on eBay.

Anyway, I run a system that monitors energy usage. When I plug in the heater, my electric usage jumped from 550 watts to 1000 watts. I did this a few times and it was consistent. So the engine block heater pulls 450 watts when going (about like running a heated blanket)

I plan on plugging mine in first thing in the morning on days where the temp is 10 Degrees F or lower. I have an outside HomeKit compatible plug that we were using for Christmas lights that I'll re-purpose. I won't do a timer or automation yet but I'll just remember to turn it on when I wake up and let it go for 2 hours before I start the truck.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an FYI for people out there. my 2021 EcoDiesel has the Mopar Cabled hooked up to it (part number - 68357826AA) that I did myself. Mine came with the heater but not the cord and the official Mopar part is a much tighter fit with built in connectors that I liked much more than the stuff I was finding on eBay.

Anyway, I run a system that monitors energy usage. When I plug in the heater, my electric usage jumped from 550 watts to 1000 watts. I did this a few times and it was consistent. So the engine block heater pulls 450 watts when going (about like running a heated blanket)

I plan on plugging mine in first thing in the morning on days where the temp is 10 Degrees F or lower. I have an outside HomeKit compatible plug that we were using for Christmas lights that I'll re-purpose. I won't do a timer or automation yet but I'll just remember to turn it on when I wake up and let it go for 2 hours before I start the truck.
Yes, my experience has been whenever the block heater is plugged in you can see the electricity meter spinning like a top. But at zero or below and especially at -30 it is money in the bank and saves your ears from the terrible groaning when starting a subzero diesel.

Just an FYI...I found the longer cord made by Katz available from Geno's Garage fits just as tight as the Mopar cord, costs much less and has held up on my previous diesels as long as the Mopar cord did for me. I've used Katz branded block heaters, tank heaters and cords going back to the 1970's without issue. And I agree the junk on eBay isn't worth the freight or the cost of the cord.

The Geno's cord is longer, and you can run it up through where the tow hooks stick out from the bumper. Tie wrap the cord to the tow hook behind the bumper and you can store it there only pulling it out through the tow hook hole when you need it.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
About 4.0 Amp

I don't know anything about electrical stuff so thank you for doing the conversion.
Yes, my experience has been whenever the block heater is plugged in you can see the electricity meter spinning like a top. But at zero or below and especially at -30 it is money in the bank and saves your ears from the terrible groaning when starting a subzero diesel.

Just an FYI...I found the longer cord made by Katz available from Geno's Garage fits just as tight as the Mopar cord, costs much less and has held up on my previous diesels as long as the Mopar cord did for me. I've used Katz branded block heaters, tank heaters and cords going back to the 1970's without issue. And I agree the junk on eBay isn't worth the freight or the cost of the cord.

The Geno's cord is longer, and you can run it up through where the tow hooks stick out from the bumper. Tie wrap the cord to the tow hook behind the bumper and you can store it there only pulling it out through the tow hook hole when you need it.

Here's what I got off Amazon that was loose:
rFJuiHR.jpeg

Here's what Mopar sends..see more clips that fit perfectly when you're routing it up and mounting it into space:

z6r4e9c.jpeg

I think one was $15 and one was $36. I'm much happier with the Mopar one and not only did the plug go in very tight and wasn't loose at all you could give it a big tug and it wouldn't come out but the clips were all perfectly spaced. I'm much happier with the factory option:

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

About 4.0 Amp

I appreciate you guys posting the stuff. I’m in the process of buying an ecodiesel right now and was wondering about the amp draw in the wattage on the block heater.

@AdamChandler what switch did you use from HomeKit? Did you find that he can handle the amp draw?

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I appreciate you guys posting the stuff. I’m in the process of buying an ecodiesel right now and was wondering about the amp draw in the wattage on the block heater.

@AdamChandler what switch did you use from HomeKit? Did you find that he can handle the amp draw?

it’s been outside for two years and works every time I ask it to.

‘’I’ll test it out tomorrow to make sure it can handle it

NimbusRam

Reaction score

it’s been outside for two years and works every time I ask it to.

‘’I’ll test it out tomorrow to make sure it can handle it
Thanks for the helpful info Adam.
I have both cables as you have and I'll be installing mine soon, the Mopar version.
I'll also be installing NOCO AC plug receptacle into the front bumper. I'm still debating where it will go as I don't like the option of opening the hood or zip-tying the plug to a tow hook.

This is the NOCO receptacle on Amazon:

I am curious about is what is the minimum temperature the oil, water, and trans fluid should be before placing the truck under load?

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the helpful info Adam.
I have both cables as you have and I'll be installing mine soon, the Mopar version.
I'll also be installing NOCO AC plug receptacle into the front bumper. I'm still debating where it will go as I don't like the option of opening the hood or zip-tying the plug to a tow hook.

This is the NOCO receptacle on Amazon:

I am curious about is what is the minimum temperature the oil, water, and trans fluid should be before placing the truck under load?

Our motors call for 5W-40. You can use a 0W oil in the Winter if you regularly get temps under -35C (-31F) Where I live in NH, it'll be -23F on Sunday but we get a -20 day 4-5 days per year and so I've never changed to 0W oil in the winter and I just use 5W....that's not what you were asking but I just thought I'd add some context.

I found this chart:
iu

The way I read this is 5W is safe to -35C or -31F. SAE 40's range is 10C to 40C or 50 to 104F . If you want a lower temperature for peak viscosity, SAE30 would give you a 0-35C range.

What this means to me as a non-expert is that To use this morning as an example. It was -8 Outside. I plugged in the engine block heater for 2 hours. When I started the truck, Coolant showed 50F, Oil showed 30F. That means to me that my block & oil was at operating temperature. I still didn't give it the beans until it hit 150F but it's certainly safe even at -10F that a 2 hour engine block heat is all you need.

Now, notably, my transmission fluid temp was still nearly 0F so the engine block heater did nothing to move that transmission fluid around so, for the sake of the ZF, I looked up what my 8-speed has in it and found this in the owners manual:
During extremely cold temperatures (-22°F [-30°C] or below), transmission operation may be modified depending on engine and transmission temperature as well as vehicle speed. Normal operation will resume once the transmission temperature has risen to a suitable level.

I tried to find what my Transmission fluid viscosity is. Can someone help? My BMW uses 75-90 but I can't find the spec. For reference, our transmission fluid MOPAR number is 68218925AB and this product is compatible - https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/transmission/bg-low-viscosity-full-synthetic-atf/

I found another compatible fluid from Everest and here's their specifications:
eaul2V6.png

"Pour Point" is -60F and boiling is 400F. So I'd guess the transmission fluid likes being warm around 200 but it can get you going at 0F like I saw today and be okay but I would take it easy if I were towing anything.

Then there's this in the owners manual (2021 Limited EcoDiesel) around cold weather. I highlighted the relevant bits:
yqW5t8L.png

This was a LOT of information I just thought maybe someone here would read through and find it helpful.

Also, I'm looking forward to the next few days of driving:
hDJdYIV.jpeg

NimbusRam

Reaction score
Hi Adam thanks for the reply.

I was looking up that information as well. I also live in NH, the southern part near Windham.

I had noticed that when remote starting the engine stays at a higher rev for some time even while driving. I'm usually leaving when the oil temps hit about 130°F. I can remember what the tranny temp is at this point but I don't stomp on it either. I know that the "SEVERE SERVICE" intervals speak about High Heat, Towing, dusty, and extreme cold location affect oil/fluid life.

I hardly ever, if ever, just jump in the truck start it, and drive off, I always give it some time for fluids to move through the engine so things are lubricated properly. As stated above, let the oil pressure stabilize and come up slowly, just like letting her cool down a bit before shutting down the engine.

Anyway, all good stuff above. (y)(y)(y)

Users who are viewing this thread