5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engine bay fuse box

mingya

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can tap onto one of the post on the fusebox to power a relay?, and which one it would be? Just don't want to go to the battery or tap a fuse.

Edmontonram

Reaction score
I just went through this, I was looking for a fuse to tap to trigger a relay for my air compressor. Turns out there are no fuses under the hood that you can use in the acc/run position. I had to run a wire into the cab to the fuse panel under the steering wheel. F66 is what I used.

c53cd62013829dc6ab41625753b24968.jpg

02ef8535b5bb7b42d997bd2be6c11398.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just went through this, I was looking for a fuse to tap to trigger a relay for my air compressor. Turns out there are no fuses under the hood that you can use in the acc/run position. I had to run a wire into the cab to the fuse panel under the steering wheel. F66 is what I used.

c53cd62013829dc6ab41625753b24968.jpg

02ef8535b5bb7b42d997bd2be6c11398.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is that fuse tap you’re using (the module with the red wire and fuse)?

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can tap onto one of the post on the fusebox to power a relay?, and which one it would be? Just don't want to go to the battery or tap a fuse.
You can use any of these highlighted post for your positive terminal.

Then put your negative terminal of your relay to the trucks ground.

RAM Fuse Box_Post.png
The post use a Metric Flange Nut M6 -1.0 Zinc

Last edited:

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
just be careful, id recommend definitely disconnecting your negative terminal before you pull a fuse. for whatever reason, when i went to do this, my truck went into an anti theft mode and wouldnt turn on. i had to disconnect the neg terminal for 20 mins and let it reset, then it started really slowly and i had a check engine light until i went through a drive cycle lol all good now though

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you. Just don’t see anybody else doing that. Not sure why, seems like it would be easier than a tap
The reason most of us use fuse taps is we want an ACC/IGN power draw instead of constant 12V. All of those posts, at least for me, are constant 12V from the battery.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The reason most of us use fuse taps is we want an ACC/IGN power draw instead of constant 12V. All of those posts, at least for me, are constant 12V from the battery.
You are correct they are constant 12V feed., is that want the @minga wants? (mentioned a relay)

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you. Just don’t see anybody else doing that. Not sure why, seems like it would be easier than a tap
For the reason mentioned above, the feed is a constant 12V feed so it will be drawing on the battery when the truck is off.

So unless your relay has a power switch you might want to reconsider.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I did when I hooked up my wireless remote for my LED light bar. Second post from the left in above picture doesn't have anything on it so that's the one I used.

mingya

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for responding. Just got back from vaca. so I'll be getting back to this little project soon.

mingya

Reaction score
just be careful, id recommend definitely disconnecting your negative terminal before you pull a fuse. for whatever reason, when i went to do this, my truck went into an anti theft mode and wouldnt turn on. i had to disconnect the neg terminal for 20 mins and let it reset, then it started really slowly and i had a check engine light until i went through a drive cycle lol all good now though
Great advise. Thank you

mingya

Reaction score
For the reason mentioned above, the feed is a constant 12V feed so it will be drawing on the battery when the truck is off.

So unless your relay has a power switch you might want to reconsider.
Ok thank you. Is there a fuse to tap into under the hood? I'm thinking about adding an extra fusebox for some of this stuff. Any thoughts on that? Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

mingya

Reaction score
I did when I hooked up my wireless remote for my LED light bar. Second post from the left in above picture doesn't have anything on it so that's the one I used.
Thanks for responding. It sounds like I'm probably going to have to use a fuse tap so the lights come on when starting. But that post will probably get used for one project or another. Thanks again

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok thank you. Is there a fuse to tap into under the hood? I'm thinking about adding an extra fusebox for some of this stuff. Any thoughts on that? Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
If you are wanting a fuse under the hood that comes on with the ignition only, I used the F60 fuse.

See yellow highlight below:
Ram Fuse Box Layout.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread