5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Engaging 4WD 2020 Limited

TexasRamRider

Reaction score
I'm new to the community and have a question about engaging from 2WD to 4WD HI. I've never owned a 4WD vehicle so its all new to me. I have a 2020 Limited. I assumed switching from 2WD to 4WD should only be done while the vehicle isn't moving but I've recently read that its totally safe and normal to switch from 2WD to 4WD HI while driving under 45 MPH. I live in Texas so we don't deal with snow but sometimes we get a decent amount of flooding and rain. I heard its safer to drive in 4WD HI during heavy rain. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes you can shift on the fly but try not to do it much above 35-45. I live in Michigan and never ever run it in 4wd in the rain. It’s not designed for it. 4wd is used when wheels would spin due to snow or mud / gravel etc Wheels don’t spin when it’s raining unless you do something stupid with the accelerator

You could shift to 4 wheel auto and let the truck decide if it should engage 4wd in the rain

Besides you have traction control so that prevents wheel spin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LimitedGRR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm new to the community and have a question about engaging from 2WD to 4WD HI. I've never owned a 4WD vehicle so its all new to me. I have a 2020 Limited. I assumed switching from 2WD to 4WD should only be done while the vehicle isn't moving but I've recently read that its totally safe and normal to switch from 2WD to 4WD HI while driving under 45 MPH. I live in Texas so we don't deal with snow but sometimes we get a decent amount of flooding and rain. I heard its safer to drive in 4WD HI during heavy rain. Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Once in a while you should shift into 4wd and drive it around for a few hundred feet even on dry terrain but at slow speed just to spread the lubrication in the front transfer case

Swampy

Reaction score

That should answer your questions

Maconi

Reaction score
Old 4WD vehicles you had to be careful and follow the directions to not break stuff. This truck is supposedly smart enough and won't let you do anything that would cause damage.

If you want to keep it simple leave it in 2WD until you hit bad weather (rain/snow/etc.), then throw it in 4WD Auto. You only really need 4WD/4WD Low in special situations (going down steep inclines, towing heavy loads, stuck in the mud, etc.).

Users who are viewing this thread