5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Emergency Flashers - Tie into Hazard Light to throw relay?

kkniskern

Reaction score
Wanting to add some emergency corner strobes and a few flashers to the truck. In the last car I used Feniex hideaway strobes, and powered them through a switch on the dash. With the limited area for adding switches on the 2020 1500, I was thinki9ng about tying into the Hazard right switch wire to throw the relay. Anyone done this before? Assuming that the Hazard switch is constant on, and that the turn signal flashers are what interrupt the signal, so if I use the signal from the switch, it should give the strobes constant power.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I'm not sure that will work. There really isn't a flasher anymore. It's just a noise maker. If there is B+ to the switch, then you might be able to tee off the other side of it to trigger a relay, which then has to power a flasher and the add-on lights. But is the B+ straight to a fuse, or is it an output from the BCM? Teeing off it might overload things and fry a circuit board inside the BCM. You'd need to study a schematic to find out, and I don't have that.

From the service manual

HAZARD WARNING LAMPS
The hazard warning system includes the IPC, the BCM and the hazard switch in the ICS module. The hazard switch
provides a hard wired input to the BCM. The BCM monitors the hazard switch input through an internal pull-up.
When the BCM receives an input from the hazard switch it controls hazard warning system operation and flash rate by
controlling battery voltage outputs through high side drivers on the right and left turn signal feed circuits. The BCM also
sends the appropriate electronic messages back to the IPC over the CAN data bus to control the illumination and flash
rate of the right and left turn signal indicators, as well as to control the click rate of an electromechanical relay soldered
onto the IPC electronic circuit board that emulates the sound emitted by a conventional hazard warning flasher. The IPC
then sends messages to the ICS over the LIN data bus to control the illumination of the hazard switch push button.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have you checked out the Speed Turtle 2.0 ?
PLEASE DO NOT PUT A SPEED TURTLE IN!!! How does plugging in a device into your DIAGNOSTIC port and FORCING it to flash your factory lights sound like a good idea? I do upfitting on the side and have for almost 10 years. I've seen AT LEAST 10 trucks, a few being Rams, that these plug in devices fried the truck BCM and or PCM. Please, do not do this. There are plenty of good options out there that are safe and reliable. These newer trucks are just big computers, I would not run the risk of frying them.

That being said, I have never seen someone tie into the 4-way flasher switch. I honestly don't know if that gives constant power or bursts of power. If you're concerned about drilling a hole for a switch, do a wireless remote. You can mount all your wiring under the hood, or anywhere you want really and the little on/off remote you can just set in your console or wherever and use it when needed. PM me if you want any other upfitting advice.

Moosefire66

Reaction score
I did see a YouTube video of the tazer having options for flashers and "light shows" as I think it calls it. Might check out those videos to see if it's something you like

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread