5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elevated motor temps

munozjavier48

Reaction score
Has anyone had their coolant temp rise to 230 while just normal driving and have the fans on most of the time while driving? I’ve noticed from a few months ago temps were at 190 - 215 max now it won’t go below 228-230 if anyone has had this issue please let me know what fixed it or what the issue is. It’s very concerning and makes me think something might be wrong either the thermostat, water pump, or low coolant, or maybe something internal that may be wrong I’m not entirely sure. Any advice or if anyone else that has dealt with this and has a fix would be welcomed. Thanks!

Rakas Mopar

Reaction score
Has anyone had their coolant temp rise to 230 while just normal driving and have the fans on most of the time while driving? I’ve noticed from a few months ago temps were at 190 - 215 max now it won’t go below 228-230 if anyone has had this issue please let me know what fixed it or what the issue is. It’s very concerning and makes me think something might be wrong either the thermostat, water pump, or low coolant, or maybe something internal that may be wrong I’m not entirely sure. Any advice or if anyone else that has dealt with this and has a fix would be welcomed. Thanks!
Check the active air grille shutters in front of radiator. You can look thru front air grill and maybe see if they are fully open. I just removed my 2019 Rams 5.7 large plastic top cover [12 retainer plugs] engine compartment. This allows you to see the center mounted air grille shutter assy. Actuator is on bottom. Check to see if fully open.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, when was the last time you checked your coolant level? That would verify, or rule out, low coolant. And should be part of normal maintenance, along with checking your oil level, brake fluid levels and windshield washer fluid level.

Aside from that, id probably guess it's thermostat or water pump going out

Users who are viewing this thread