5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electronic Quirks & Remote Start - Coincidence?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, this is going to be long, no other way to explain this briefly.

Today I had my first electronics "Quirk", my backup camera screen was just black. I went back to park, back to reverse, same problem, whatever, went on a quick ride to the convenience store to get some trash bags. At the store, I pressed the button to shut it off and exited the vehicle but noticed the radio did not go off as it usually does when I opened the door. Once again, whatever, run into the store, get my trash bags and head home. When I got home, I fidgeted with the camera, both with the on-screen button as well as rotating the knob to reverse several times. Same result, just black.

An hour or so later, I took a ride to my township recycle center to get rid of an obscene amount of cardboard generated from Xmas. I did get some nice toys though ;) and what do you know, the backup camera worked as normal as well as exiting the vehicle worked as normal and it got me thinking.....

My 14 Ram had some peculiar electronic issues, heat controls responding on screen but not mechanically switching from foot to dash or windshield. If I would cycle the buttons a few times it would "wake-up" and work again. It had a couple of audio gremlins as well, mainly USB issues but I did notice a pattern on my 14. ALL of the electronic issues ONLY happened after I remote started the truck. Even shutting the vehicle off to stop for a quick cup of coffee would not remedy the issue, the gremlins stayed present when re-entering and starting the vehicle normally. I'd go home, let the vehicle sit an hour and jump back in, everything magically worked again. I learned to live with it because it was so infrequent, maybe 10 times or so in the life of me owning the vehicle.

With the above said, it was a rare occurrence because I hardly use remote start but guess what I used today, remote start! The moral of my story, take note if your electronic "gremlins" appear after a remote start and if they magically went away a short while later or the next day. I believe the reason an immediate restart does not work is that the truck's computer just goes into a hibernation mode when you make quick stops so that when you get back in the vehicle, all of the controls load up quickly whereas if you leave the vehicle sit a while, it goes into shutdown mode and will make a complete reboot when started.

This will obviously not fix any of your issues but if it can help you determine a pattern like I have above, at least you know you it's a quirk. Will it ever get truly fixed......I doubt it, here it is 5 years later and the gremlins are still poking around. This is not to say that a software fix won't come out but I think it would be more of a by-product of them fixing something else that is corrupting the memory of the truck's computer.

Users who are viewing this thread