5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electronic issues Radio, AC, and Front Power Windows

Tom5

Reaction score
My radio screen has turned off and there is no power to the AC, front driver side and passenger side doors. The AC currently blows hot air from the font area at the base of the windshield. I have left the battery disconnected for an hour to attempt to reset the truck. I have pulled the F44 radio fuse (it was not blown). I did have a message on the tac screen that said Blind Spot Sensor Not available. The weird thing is that this is only happening when the engine is running. When the engine is off the radio works and so does the power windows

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What year is the Ram? How old is the battery?
If the battery is disconnected it takes some time for things to come back.

When my battery was bad it would not come out of 1st gear. In addition when I disconnected the battery it took approximately 40 minutes (from what I can recall) with mostly highway MPH to have all things back in service.

Best of luck. There is more information (threads) on the 5th gen forum on this matter.

Tom5

Reaction score
What year is the Ram? How old is the battery?
If the battery is disconnected it takes some time for things to come back.

When my battery was bad it would not come out of 1st gear. In addition when I disconnected the battery it took approximately 40 minutes (from what I can recall) with mostly highway MPH to have all things back in service.

Best of luck. There is more information (threads) on the 5th gen forum on this matter.

thanks Jako - 2019 1500 Ram Laramie i put the battery on trickle charge all night and it seemed good. The Battery is original showing 14 volts

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
thanks Jako - 2019 1500 Ram Laramie i put the battery on trickle charge all night and it seemed good. The Battery is original showing 14 volts
Voltage isn't always a good indication of battery condition. And reading 14vdc is high, unless engine was running.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
How old it the battery? I’d take it off and have it tested. Make sure the terminals are clean. And when you charge the battery, make sure you hook it up on the voltage sensor side, and not on the post (negative side I believe)

Tom5

Reaction score
Voltage isn't always a good indication of battery condition. And reading 14vdc is high, unless engine was running.

How old it the battery? I’d take it off and have it tested. Make sure the terminals are clean. And when you charge the battery, make sure you hook it up on the voltage sensor side, and not on the post (negative side I believe)
Changing out the battery today cross your fingers, I hope you are correct. Battery is original from 2019 its just weird for it to go this time of year normally we have battery issues in the winter months

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Changing out the battery today cross your fingers, I hope you are correct. Battery is original from 2019 its just weird for it to go this time of year normally we have battery issues in the winter months
I hear ya. If it’s the original it’s had a good run. I changed mine earlier this year. Not sure if it’s the original since I got the truck used. Went with an interstate battery. Keep us posted! Good luck!

Tom5

Reaction score
Swapped out the battery today still have the same issue. Looks like I am heading to the dealership Monday 🤦

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Swapped out the battery today still have the same issue. Looks like I am heading to the dealership Monday 🤦
Sounds like a wiring problem. Best of luck friend.

Tom5

Reaction score
Ended up being a short in my driver side tail light when i disconnected the tail light everything worked have to order a new one. Looks like they are $500 to $700 for tail light assembly, with sensor🤦‍♂️

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ended up being a short in my driver side tail light when i disconnected the tail light everything worked have to order a new one. Looks like they are $500 to $700 for tail light assembly, with sensor🤦‍♂️
How was it figured out?

Tom5

Reaction score
I was looking on some other 5th gen sites and some one had a similar issue and said he had a short in one of his lights. It was just so strange that it worked fine when the engine was off. And one of my tail lights had a little water in it so I figured that is probably the short

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was looking on some other 5th gen sites and some one had a similar issue and said he had a short in one of his lights. It was just so strange that it worked fine when the engine was off. And one of my tail lights had a little water in it so I figured that is probably the short
Good to know for later. Thank you.

PigBimpin

Reaction score
I had this same exact problem! While on a 14 hour road trip to Omaha, drove through a torrential rain storm in Wyoming. Shortly after the rain, immediately got a blind spot error on the dash, all electronics went dark, windows would not work, and the heater started blowing hot air into the cabin. Could not adjust heater or turn down. I pulled off the freeway and the truck seemed to be running fine. Disconnected battery, waited about 30 minutes, reconnected, nothing changed. Drove another 6 hours to the nearest dealer. While explaining my dilemma to the service manager, a technician happened to overhear my story. He jumped into the conversation and immediately asked if I had a cracked tail light. I told him I did have a hairline crack from backing into my garbage can. He said most likely moisture had entered the tail light and was shorting out the electrical system. He spent the prior week chasing down the same exact problem and was convinced I was experiencing the same.

Turns out he was right! Technician showed me the wiring bus under the driver side dash where everything is connected. When he disconnected the cracked tail light, everything functioned properly again. In the end, I had to replace the tail light to fully restore everything back to working order. My part with all the sensors and features in my truck was $1200. Essentially one thing gets shorted out, it affects the wiring bus and everything connected to it.

Tom5

Reaction score
I had this same exact problem! While on a 14 hour road trip to Omaha, drove through a torrential rain storm in Wyoming. Shortly after the rain, immediately got a blind spot error on the dash, all electronics went dark, windows would not work, and the heater started blowing hot air into the cabin. Could not adjust heater or turn down. I pulled off the freeway and the truck seemed to be running fine. Disconnected battery, waited about 30 minutes, reconnected, nothing changed. Drove another 6 hours to the nearest dealer. While explaining my dilemma to the service manager, a technician happened to overhear my story. He jumped into the conversation and immediately asked if I had a cracked tail light. I told him I did have a hairline crack from backing into my garbage can. He said most likely moisture had entered the tail light and was shorting out the electrical system. He spent the prior week chasing down the same exact problem and was convinced I was experiencing the same.

Turns out he was right! Technician showed me the wiring bus under the driver side dash where everything is connected. When he disconnected the cracked tail light, everything functioned properly again. In the end, I had to replace the tail light to fully restore everything back to working order. My part with all the sensors and features in my truck was $1200. Essentially one thing gets shorted out, it affects the wiring bus and everything connected to it.
That was the exactly same issue I had. Crazy how a little Crack in the tail light can cause such a major malfunction in the truck. I am about $700 in now for the repair and that's with me doing all the work

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That was the exactly same issue I had. Crazy how a little Crack in the tail light can cause such a major malfunction in the truck. I am about $700 in now for the repair and that's with me doing all the work
I wonder if it would be cheaper to just switch to a different LED taillight. Of course you’d have to buy 2

BTB123

Reaction score
I may haves missed it. OP, was your taillight cracked or compromised as well? Sounds like everyone else had a crack or some other damage to the tailight for this to happen.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I may haves missed it. OP, was your taillight cracked or compromised as well? Sounds like everyone else had a crack or some other damage to the tailight for this to happen.
Yes it had a small crack and some water in it.

Users who are viewing this thread