5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electrical system/issues after jump starting

kfkelly31

Reaction score
I have put about 15k miles on it as the 2nd owner. Here is what I have been running into recently:

1) Trans stuck in certain gears with RPMs operating as if I was accelerating. 15-20 secs of this, it jumps into the proper gear.

2) Intermittent dash lights regarding servicing air ride suspension that have come and gone.

3) Unusual behavior with the air ride suspension raising and lowering after the vehicle has been parked and remained off for some time.

-After replacing the battery, it fired right up this morning without issue. The service engine light is now on, which I plan to bring it in tomorrow to address.

With 2 separate batteries, is there any reason why it would start up with a fully charged battery, run idle for several minutes, then fall flat on its face after having completely drained the battery to death while running?

Thanks again for the reponses...sorry for the frustration. I am just concerned about why the check engine light is now on after getting the tires replaced and alignment done, then replacing the battery. I am concerned there is going to be some kind of issue that is not likely to be covered by warrantee, while the truck now has 60,002 miles on it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It would be appreciated if you kept all of the discussion (on this particular issue) to one thread. As of now, I count three separate threads that you have started for this.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would be appreciated if you kept all of the discussion (on this particular issue) to one thread. As of now, I count three separate threads that you have started for this.
Also, what are the details of your truck? Year, model, engine, e-torque etc.

rubrduk

Reaction score
I have put about 15k miles on it as the 2nd owner. Here is what I have been running into recently:

1) Trans stuck in certain gears with RPMs operating as if I was accelerating. 15-20 secs of this, it jumps into the proper gear.

2) Intermittent dash lights regarding servicing air ride suspension that have come and gone.

3) Unusual behavior with the air ride suspension raising and lowering after the vehicle has been parked and remained off for some time.

-After replacing the battery, it fired right up this morning without issue. The service engine light is now on, which I plan to bring it in tomorrow to address.

With 2 separate batteries, is there any reason why it would start up with a fully charged battery, run idle for several minutes, then fall flat on its face after having completely drained the battery to death while running?

Thanks again for the reponses...sorry for the frustration. I am just concerned about why the check engine light is now on after getting the tires replaced and alignment done, then replacing the battery. I am concerned there is going to be some kind of issue that is not likely to be covered by warrantee, while the truck now has 60,002 miles on it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

It'd be best to put a code scanner on it and start there.

Something I learned with my 2016 Silverado was that a simple battery replacement could cause all kinds of issues due to modern electrics...I obviously wanted to put a good red top or similar aftermarket battery, but I swallowed my pride and played it safe having the dealer do it after reading the oddities of issues that occurred after a simple battery change.

Users who are viewing this thread