5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electrical issues

WorldofChaos

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2021 ram 1500 Laramie sport in November. Since then had a few cluster lights come on but disappear on their own. Battery was replaced. Since battery replacement codes have still popped up but disappeared on their own. Yesterday hooked up a exterior LED light and threw a bunch of codes including the check engine light. Check engine light stayed on for several cycles then disappeared the next morning with no lights illuminated on the cluster. Truck is driving just fine however a friend of mine works at a Chrysler dealership and wanted a scan tool to see if there were any stored codes regardless if the onboard system stating otherwise. To my surprise the scan tool had brought up a laundry list of stored codes in the system. My friend told me that the only way to bring up these codes is with the engine running but cannot be cleared while the engine is running. Anyone else have this issue?

Attachments

• 17062900172614474392938459182626.jpg
    17062900172614474392938459182626.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 17

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just purchased a 2021 ram 1500 Laramie sport in November. Since then had a few cluster lights come on but disappear on their own. Battery was replaced. Since battery replacement codes have still popped up but disappeared on their own. Yesterday hooked up a exterior LED light and threw a bunch of codes including the check engine light. Check engine light stayed on for several cycles then disappeared the next morning with no lights illuminated on the cluster. Truck is driving just fine however a friend of mine works at a Chrysler dealership and wanted a scan tool to see if there were any stored codes regardless if the onboard system stating otherwise. To my surprise the scan tool had brought up a laundry list of stored codes in the system. My friend told me that the only way to bring up these codes is with the engine running but cannot be cleared while the engine is running. Anyone else have this issue?
Is the windshield tinted?

WorldofChaos

Reaction score
After installing the LED I made my rounds on connection points to ensure all were tight.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After installing the LED I made my rounds on connection points to ensure all were tight.
Tight is not good enough with our trucks, they must be clean and tight.
Tight is mechanical, clean is electrical, low resistance, they go hand in hand, it matters.

Last edited:

oh58driver

Reaction score
My 2022 Limited just started going nuts. I was near the end of a 2.5 hour drive home and stopped by the dealership, after hours, they pulled the codes and it was similar COMM LOST on several systems. Cycle the ignition and it would work for a few seconds, then go crazy again. I had to drive another 30 minutes home and it started working after about 10 or so. It was raining and had stopped before it started working again. No Techs around so I get to come back Monday. NO low voltage. I will check all the connections tomorrow.

dprof

Reaction score
My 2022 Limited just started going nuts. I was near the end of a 2.5 hour drive home and stopped by the dealership, after hours, they pulled the codes and it was similar COMM LOST on several systems. Cycle the ignition and it would work for a few seconds, then go crazy again. I had to drive another 30 minutes home and it started working after about 10 or so. It was raining and had stopped before it started working again. No Techs around so I get to come back Monday. NO low voltage. I will check all the connections tomorrow.
I had a similar problem. Turned out to be plugged drains in the cowl. Water was entering the ventilation system and causing several problems, including electrical failures like you describe. Since you associate this with a recent rain check for water inside the cab and for a wet cabin air filter. Cleaning the cowl drains is fairly easy and could save you a bunch of grief if that is all that is wrong.

oh58driver

Reaction score
No evidence of water inside the cab. I checked under the carpets, front and back, and the cabin air filter. All were bone dry. No evidence of any trapped water in the cowl. All connections and grounds, and there are a bunch, are tight and clean. Off the the dealer in the morning . I'll report back IF they find anything.

oh58driver

Reaction score
Just update, After several test drives, over a week, they were unable to duplicate it .

Users who are viewing this thread