5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electrical issues ram 1500

Rtbelec

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have just had a tray installed on my 2019 Dt ram and I’m having some issues after the company swapped out the original tail lights and installed aftermarket lights to suit the tray.
1. Ute thinks a trailer is now connected when it’s not.

2. tail light warning

3. indicators flash fast on the dash

I have started un reveling the the mess of cables they have left cable tied up
but it’s hard to fault find as I wasn’t the one who removed the original lights

has anyone got a wiring diagram?
Thanks again 👍

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have just had a tray installed on my 2019 Dt ram and I’m having some issues after the company swapped out the original tail lights and installed aftermarket lights to suit the tray.
1. Ute thinks a trailer is now connected when it’s not.

2. tail light warning

3. indicators flash fast on the dash

I have started un reveling the the mess of cables they have left cable tied up
but it’s hard to fault find as I wasn’t the one who removed the original lights

has anyone got a wiring diagram?
Thanks again

Just curious what kind of tray was installed that need taillights installed.

What is UTE?
Did you have halogen taillight and they swapped out for led's???.... If so installing resistors should take care of fast flash and bulb out warning.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Rtbelec

Reaction score
Just curious what kind of tray was installed that need taillights installed.

What is UTE?
Did you have halogen taillight and they swapped out for led's???.... If so installing resistors should take care of fast flash and bulb out warning.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Thanks GM1917.
It already had led tail lights from factory,

tray is a aluminium flat bed

Attachments

• 6D829690-1324-40D3-B861-F486A5A468D1.jpeg
    6D829690-1324-40D3-B861-F486A5A468D1.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 66

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I;ve learned the hard way that when you start getting really weird electrical issues, especially in multiple circuits simultaneously, check the grounds. Electricity takes the path of least resistance, and if that's backfeeding through another circuit, that's where it goes.

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
Thanks GM1917.
It already had led tail lights from factory,

tray is a aluminium flat bed
Oh, boy!! Couple questions. What trim level is your truck? You said you had LED tail lights already so I assume LED headlights as well? Surely there's a company out there that makes mating connectors for the factory tail light harness so that you didn't have to cut/splice the factory side of the wiring? As some others have mentioned most likely some resistors will need to be installed and/or you may check with your dealer as there's a setting for the BCM to allow for 3rd party LED turn signals for the bulb-out detection system.

Rtbelec

Reaction score
It’s a Laramie with fully optioned other than sunroof and adaptive cruise

yep has led head lights as well!
So far I have found a black cable at each light ( tested and seems to be a earth ) that isn’t connected to the tail light however there is a 2nd black cable that is connected so I have two earth points at each tail light

the 2nd cable I have found is a white will yellow stripe that isn’t connected from what I can research that should be running lights?
I tested it and it has a constant 12v with ignition on

question.
i never payed attention to the tail lights before removing are running lights the same as normal (tail lights) that are illuminated when the head lights are on?

terminology is difficult we seem to call things differently here in aus 🤣

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score

So far I have found a black cable at each light ( tested and seems to be a earth ) that isn’t connected to the tail light however there is a 2nd black cable that is connected so I have two earth points at each tail light

the 2nd cable I have found is a white will yellow stripe that isn’t connected from what I can research that should be running lights?

question.
i never payed attention to the tail lights before removing are running lights the same as normal (tail lights) that are illuminated when the head lights are on?

I don't have a wiring diagram. You might check the Fleet bodybuilder site for some info on this. I'm guessing you're going to want to pay a visit to your dealer to have them change some BCM settings. Also, did this truck have Blind Spot Monitoring on it by chance? If so that'll have to be disabled. There's a chance that the ground (earth) is actually switched instead of the power for various functions too. Relays and switches last longer that way....

Tom1957

Reaction score
I;ve learned the hard way that when you start getting really weird electrical issues, especially in multiple circuits simultaneously, check the grounds. Electricity takes the path of least resistance, and if that's backfeeding through another circuit, that's where it goes.
I have a 2019 Sport that is sending a ton of codes, first was the air dam, 900 dollars to repair, engine light remains on, the blind spot monitor, the right turn signal, then main monitor going on and off taking with it the heat controls, power windows all dash lights and several other features. Took it to the dealer and after 2 days of looking they said there was water in the right rear tail light, need to be replaced, 1200 dollars!
Told them to put it back together, I am sending it to the auction.
When I got home I took out the tail light, that still had water in it, put a little silicone on the crack, but found out the wire connector on the light was not pushed in all the way, when I reassembled it all, no codes, no engine light, all good, for now, I am still thinking there is a grounding problem somewhere.
This is my 4th Ram and I usually trade every 2 years because I mile them up really quickly, can't stand down time, so this one is going to go, and next truck will have less features, I would buy a Classic body again except I need at least a 6 foot box.
I don't think this is just a Ram issue, Multi Plex wiring can be a nightmare when there is a short or a grounding issue.

ProWire

Reaction score

question.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this?

Users who are viewing this thread