5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electrical issues after boost

Tlukwin

Reaction score
Hi all. Bought a used 2019 Laramie (no etorque)last year, 3rd Dodge in 15 years. Love them but I think I f’d up. Left rear door open last week without turning off courtesy light, killed the battery. Got a boost, but hooked battery to battery, not chassis ground. Had a slew of MILs, including check engine. Got home, charged battery and disconnected negative from ground for an hour to reset codes. Next day, all the same MIL minus check engine. Used code reader to erase any codes, reads clean now, but still getting :Collision avoidence,abs,cruise control, and ESP lights on dash. Drives fine, but cruise control unavailable. Upon startup, receive messages to service trailer brake, 4wd unavailable , and others. Parksense shows unavailable, but the strange thing is that for the first 5 seconds if I put it in gear, the sensors show warnings of close objects, then shows unavailable. Resting battery voltage is 12.6 with running voltage 14.0 - 14.2. Readings forums, next step might be the battery voltage sensor. Any thoughts, and help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the good news...probably. Go get yourself a new battery installed, wait a few hours and the codes/MIL's will go away. Again, I said PROBABLY, as this is a common occurrence with dead batteries in these trucks. YRMV. The BCM does not like low voltage and resets itself over time once proper voltage is supplied. You "might" get away with just charging your existing battery, but if its the original you're gonna need one soon anyway. Good Luck!

Tlukwin

Reaction score
Here's the good news...probably. Go get yourself a new battery installed, wait a few hours and the codes/MIL's will go away. Again, I said PROBABLY, as this is a common occurrence with dead batteries in these trucks. YRMV. The BCM does not like low voltage and resets itself over time once proper voltage is supplied. You "might" get away with just charging your existing battery, but if its the original you're gonna need one soon anyway. Good Luck!
Was thinking the same. Not sure if it's the original battery as I bought the truck last year and they did not have the date stamp punched out on the battery. Thanks for the feedback

Tlukwin

Reaction score
Was thinking the same. Not sure if it's the original battery as I bought the truck last year and they did not have the date stamp punched out on the battery. Thanks for the feedback
Also noted that the battery charge never gets down below two amps with the charger hooked up overnight. Must be a shorted cell or something in it.

Tlukwin

Reaction score
So turns out, not the battery. Installed new one couple of days ago, few drives in, still showing all the MIL lights. Any other ideas? Thanks 20240713_101702.jpg

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When you installed the new battery did you happen to leave the new one disconnected for maybe 10-15 minutes, or hook it back up right away? I'd try leaving it disconnected for a half hour and try again.

Tlukwin

Reaction score
Disconnected plug from IBS , drove for a bit and had the same indicators. Followed IBS reset procedure, negative cable off IBS for 4 hours. Hooked up, six drive cycles since, no change in MIL indicators. Thinking I may have fried the bcm. More weird stuff happening, climate control set to 22 when starting the truck when I had left it in low

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
That's pretty common. We have tons of similar issues with our ram/jeep vehicles when the battery discharges too far. I've seen some wacky things happen when jumping these cars. I'd pull both terminals and connect positive/negative cables together for about 30 minutes. This will completely discharge the system. If that doesn't fix it, a trip to the cdjr garage should get it remedied. I doubt it's bcm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online