5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electric vs Combustion costs

SBrentnall

Reaction score
"You typically have to go to a commercial charger and commercial charger rates are two, three or four times that of residential charger rates."

Um, no that's not typical. Everyone I know who has an EV charges predominantly at home. Even those in apartments have been able to charge in the garage, although they usually had to pay to get chargers installed.

GM26J

Reaction score
My understanding is that, leaving convenience out of the equation, the breakeven point is when gas is around $2.80. Above that point, electric can be cheaper.

Lot's of functional and production issues to consider, however.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Our closest state park has a charger in its parking lot. For non-commercial places like this, I've wondered who pays for the charging/how that all works. I've not looked at the equipment to see if you swipe a credit card, or does the charger recognize the car and bill an account the owner has?

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think that there might be a few more gas stations than charge locations and even if there is substantial growth of these locations it will be quite some time before there's enough of them to support what will be needed for away from home travelers. I cant even fathom having to wait in line until a charging station is free because there are too many cars and not enough open charging stations.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There are so many variables that have to be considered that even their report (and I haven't read their whole report) likely doesn't cover true costs, and there are other factors besides financial - time costs, environmental costs, etc.

Answers to these types of things are rarely as simple as they seem. Electric vehicles have no emissions, but the electricity that was created to charge them does (except in the miniscule nuclear/wind/solar areas in the US). There's also a huge energy loss through heat transmission as electricity is transmitted through power lines. A lot of the "costs" also depend on whether or not the industry eats those costs or outsources them to someone else. For example, roads are built/maintained at least partially through gasoline taxes; electric vehicles don't use gasoline so they don't pay those costs of usage.

I don't want this to sound like I'm against electric vehicles, because I'm not - I think for sure they make sense versus continued consumption of a non-renewable resource like petroleum, and eventually they will likely supplant most use of ICEs (but not entirely). I just think people shouldn't think too much of themselves because they drive an electric car; truth be known, the lowest cost thing you can do is not drive at all. Next up after that is driving a fuel efficient vehicle that's already on the planet versus one waiting to be built (i.e. a used car).

Users who are viewing this thread