5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electric Tailgate

DJJK

Reaction score
Can I put a 2021 tailgate on a 2014? How would I get power to open the tailgate?

No, it won't fit. But even if it did you won't have the wiring harness that's needed to operate it.

Can I put a 2021 tailgate on a 2014? How would I get power to open the tailgate?
The 5th gens are 1“ higher than the 4th gens ( meaning deeper bed ) so the tailgate will be 1” bigger .

Like mentioned, the tailgate itself won’t fit, but you can do what I’m currently doing. I’m swapping in the 5th gen tailgate handle to my 4th gen. The hole for the new handle needs to be enlarged. The electric latches from the 2019+ HD Rams bolt right in. Use the tailgate jumper harness from a 2019+ HD Ram, slightly modified. You need to swap two wires at the BCM into different positions, and the handle switch and latches will work. I’m also working on using a PAC TR7 module so I can press the unlock button 2x on the factory fob to remotely release the tailgate. I’m also using a wireless relay programmed to one of the homelink buttons to release the tailgate from inside the cab.

Can you send pictures on which two wires you switched or explain it. I found a 2020 bed tailgate and rear bumper with the puck system with it. I want to put it on my 2016 ram. I don't want to pole the trigger and spend the money without knowing everything line up and will fit bolt up and work after the swap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back