5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

electric circuit

stalhazelberg

Reaction score
Dodge Ram 2019 longhorn; 5.7 Hemi; 4x4 . usually within 2 miles, my whole dashboard shuts down for about 1 to 2 sec. after that everything will work again. It usually starts with the message power steering is missing. After that, the battery light on the dashboard usually comes on. Then everything works again to repeat everything after about a minute. I have also noticed that when the route planner is switched on via carplay, everything immediately stops. This repeats about 5 times after which nothing else is going on all day, regardless of whether I have stopped somewhere for a long time. Who can help me with this problem?

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
First thing I would suspect is a battery issue, especially if you still have the OEM battery.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Dodge Ram 2019 longhorn. usually within 2 miles, my whole dashboard shuts down for about 1 to 2 sec. after that everything will work again. It usually starts with the message power steering is missing. After that, the battery light on the dashboard usually comes on. Then everything works again to repeat everything after about a minute. I have also noticed that when the route planner is switched on via carplay, everything immediately stops. This repeats about 5 times after which nothing else is going on all day, regardless of whether I have stopped somewhere for a long time. Who can help me with this problem?
it would also help if you told us what engine you have

Yotaman

Reaction score
Kind of sounds like what my Limited does driving along the the etc light might flash or the battery light might flash then the power steering warning light and boom no power steering for 5-10 seconds. Mine has been at the dealership since Feb 19th and no one can figure out what is wrong.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 17

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you have satisfied yourself that the battery is not bad and you have no tools to diagnose electrical problems or view system information, all you can really do is make sure every connector that you can find is plugged in all the way.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Kind of sounds like what my Limited does driving along the the etc light might flash or the battery light might flash then the power steering warning light and boom no power steering for 5-10 seconds. Mine has been at the dealership since Feb 19th and no one can figure out what is wrong.
What year is your truck? The older it is the more I would suspect a battery issue. These trucks contain very sophisticated electronics, with very specific power requirements. .Just because there's enough power to start the engine doesn't mean there isn't an issue with the battery.

Another somewhat common issue is pins not fully seated into connectors. If this is a newer truck, that could possibly be the cause of something like this as well.

Yotaman

Reaction score
My truck is a 2019 with a brand new battery (in the engine compartment anyway)

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dodge Ram 2019 longhorn. usually within 2 miles, my whole dashboard shuts down for about 1 to 2 sec. after that everything will work again. It usually starts with the message power steering is missing. After that, the battery light on the dashboard usually comes on. Then everything works again to repeat everything after about a minute. I have also noticed that when the route planner is switched on via carplay, everything immediately stops. This repeats about 5 times after which nothing else is going on all day, regardless of whether I have stopped somewhere for a long time. Who can help me with this problem?
1. Does the power steering actually stop working? If so, don't drive it.
2. Did it leave any warnings lit? If not, it still may have saved error codes. Get dealer or someone qualified to read them out for you.
3. With the vehicle off, you can check for loose or corroded connections, especially grounds, visually and by wiggling gently.
4. If you don't find anything obvious that you feel qualified to fix yourself, get dealer or a shop with a good electrical tech involved.

The rest of this is speculation. There may be nothing wrong with the steering, or the battery. Steering may just be the first thing the computer notices missing if there is a general communications problem. It is, after all, one of the most important functions, along with brakes. I'm almost surprised it didn't throttle down and coast to a stop. Maybe it should have.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
EF6B451F-8DE6-4B6B-B452-BC120BCB93C7.jpeg

Yotaman

Reaction score
They think mine is electrical issue in the wiring harness!
Thats what they told me when I took it in last june said it was a couple of bad grounds, the problem then went away till we got a snow storm here in arkansas and all the trucks issues again reared their ugly head and yes to bigdodge's question " it has e-torque?"

stalhazelberg

Reaction score
it would also help if you told us what engine you have
1500 laramie Longhorn 4D crew cab, Hemi 5.7L V8 multi displacement VVT Laramie Longhorn; quick order package 25K clean carfax
I imported the car to The Netherlands , about 8 months ago. In the beginning everything was okay. After a new battery, a month later the problems started. The battery is equal to the original. Several mechanics looks to the problem, but without any result. Also diagnostic read out , the error that was read was too high a battery voltage of 14.5

stalhazelberg

Reaction score
1500 laramie Longhorn 4D crew cab, Hemi 5.7L V8 multi displacement VVT Laramie Longhorn; quick order package 25K clean carfax
I imported the car to The Netherlands , about 8 months ago. In the beginning everything was okay. After a new battery, a month later the problems started. The battery is equal to the original. Several mechanics looks to the problem, but without any result. Also diagnostic read out , the error that was read was too high a battery voltage of 14.5 My car shows the same problems and no one put the finger on the problem

stalhazelberg

Reaction score
What year is your truck? The older it is the more I would suspect a battery issue.
my Dodge Ram 1500 Longhorn is from 2019 and already has a new battery. It looks like the problem started after the change, but there was a month between changing

stalhazelberg

Reaction score
If you don't find anything obvious that you feel qualified to fix yourself, get dealer or a shop with a good electrical tech involved
I already went to three different garages for information They read the car out, but no special errors for steering wheel or breaks. Th problem is, it always starts when I start driving and after about 10, 15 minutes the car is going normal without any problem, the whole day long

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
my Dodge Ram 1500 Longhorn is from 2019 and already has a new battery. It looks like the problem started after the change, but there was a month between changing
The fact that this happened after replacing the battery tells me it may be battery related. Did you replace it with an OEM battery or an aftermarket battery?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So a little different angle. You had an error code indicating battery voltage too high, and the original battery only lasted 3 years. I wonder if we are confusing cause and effect a bit. That is to say, could whatever is going on be the thing that made you need to replace the battery? Like overcharging? Or something like a shorted alternator diode that would still charge somewhat, but make excess ripple with peaks a half volt higher than normal? Maybe long shots, and total guesswork on my part, just trying to throw out ideas that seem to match the facts but haven't already been suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread