5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Efficiency Mods

Bellmeaze

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been looking into mods that will help improve my MPG and as far as I'm aware there's 3 main categories that may help:

1. Air intake (Mopar cold air intake - I know it's not fully tested yet)
2. Exhaust (Borla Cat-back - looking for performance with a lowish sound output)
3. Engine tuners (Pulsar - only one I've seen that is easy fit)
4. Anything else I've missed?

As far as I've researched I'm looking at the above in the brackets, does anyone know if the warranty will break with any of the above and also whether there may be a better alternative, this is the first exhaust mod I've ever done so I am completely new to them so appreciate any and all advice! Like I mentioned, I'm not looking to boost the engine/vehicle sound too much, more focusing on the performance increase

Cheers y'all!

Damion

Reaction score
Don't forget the usually over looked,
Alignment in spec
Tires properly inflated
Dont jack rabbit start when taking off, leave easily

From what I've read larger / more aggressive tires and a lift will also hurt MPG numbers, also when switching tires look at the weight of tires, heavier tires = more mass to turn less MPG..... not sure how anal your going with the MPG thing but those will make a difference.

Bellmeaze

Reaction score
Don't forget the usually over looked,
Alignment in spec
Tires properly inflated
Dont jack rabbit start when taking off, leave easily

From what I've read larger / more aggressive tires and a lift will also hurt MPG numbers, also when switching tires look at the weight of tires, heavier tires = more mass to turn less MPG..... not sure how anal your going with the MPG thing but those will make a difference.

Thanks, very good points and yep I'm currently checking tires and alignment every now and then, I don't want to get too picky on the MPG efficiency, I'm more wanting to mod in some better performance so that I don't have to be super-aware of it

Currently sitting on stock 22's on my 2019 RAM 1500 Limited (yep I'm aware the 20s may have been better for mpg but I loved the look of the 22s)

Damion

Reaction score
Rim size won't have much effect on MPG, its more of what tire your running. Offroad / mud tread patterns have more rolling resistance than a street tire will.

The problem with modding ( exhaust, CAI, etc ) is that once you get those things on, while they will help some with efficiency, it'll be hard to keep your foot out of the skinny pedal because you'll want to hear the intake growl and the exhaust sing, along with feeling the responsiveness the pulsar adds ( providing your truck likes it, been reading mixed reviews here so im holding off on getting one for mine ) whenever you stomp down on it......

Dave peterson

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been looking into mods that will help improve my MPG and as far as I'm aware there's 3 main categories that may help:

1. Air intake (Mopar cold air intake - I know it's not fully tested yet)
2. Exhaust (Borla Cat-back - looking for performance with a lowish sound output)
3. Engine tuners (Pulsar - only one I've seen that is easy fit)
4. Anything else I've missed?

As far as I've researched I'm looking at the above in the brackets, does anyone know if the warranty will break with any of the above and also whether there may be a better alternative, this is the first exhaust mod I've ever done so I am completely new to them so appreciate any and all advice! Like I mentioned, I'm not looking to boost the engine/vehicle sound too much, more focusing on the performance increase

Cheers y'all!
I have seen reports that the pulsar didn't make any fuel economy gains. I run a K&N air filter and had exhaust. I went back to stock exhaust for multiple reasons...Wife didn't like the loudness and I actually saw a drop in MPG.

Panhandle Ram

Reaction score
Aerodynamics.. TFL episode shows eco-diesel Ram owner had this monstrosity cab that he built for better aero, and some other things done to improve MPG. Was interesting!

Users who are viewing this thread