5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edge Pulsar worth $$$

BigHornDaddy318

Reaction score
Does anyone have the Pulsar? Just wondering if its worth the $500+
Everything I read or see says it can add up to 50 HP but other say its an overpriced Throttle Commander that you can adjust tire size too. Thoughts?

FishOn

Reaction score
Everything I read or see says it can add up to 50 HP but other say its an overpriced Throttle Commander that you can adjust tire size too. Thoughts?
I love mine and have had ZERO issues (knocking on wood)
Turning MDS off and being able to toggle through the different power levels with the CC buttons on the fly is suh-weeet.
Performance mode with 93 octane is SUPER fun. Then when the wife wants a cruise, or I take it to the shop, a couple clicks on the Cruise buttons and it's back to stock form.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
I purchased mine used for under $300. I would not pay $500. It's kinda neat to cycle through the different modes, but I really only use performance mode or stock. I have tried eco mode; I did not experience an increase in mpg over stock. Performance mode does perk up the truck and it seems to rev quicker to me - not just a quicker throttle response. Throttle is quite touchy starting from a stop in performance mode. Not sure I'd buy it again. I do have a throttle controller as well which accomplishes some of what the Pulsar does.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
ive had 2. i bought originally because they had promised custom tunes down the line with the pulsar. (i have a hemifever-tuned eTorque ram now)

the pulsar is just okay, in my opinion. It is NOT A TRUE MDS-OFF DEVICE. I went back and forth with the company over this, and told them i had a hunch that when MDS engages, they have code in the pulsar that just surges the gas a little to “kick out” mds. they did confirm this in my email chain with them.

You could do the same thing with the skinny pedal and a trained ear. I’m not saying that’s a feasible option, but i do think it’s disingenuous to claim it truly disables MDS when it just surges the throttle a little. It gets a little annoying, especially with exhaust on the truck. You trade not hearing 4cyl mode for hearing it engage for a second, then throttle blip. repeat…ad nauseam…

as far as real spark advance tuning goes, i dont really buy that either. ive driven stock rams, pedal commander rams, pulsar rams, and my current etorque ram stock, with canned diablo tune + trans tune, and now a custom 93 tune and trans tune.

*stock* - can’t beat reliable power. hemi rams have great power out of the box.

*pedal commander* - great throttle response with stock reliability.

*pulsar* - mds disable is not real. “tune on the fly” is kind of cool. i’d like to see charted demonstrations of spark & timing advance, otherwise its a glorified pedal commander in my opinion.

*canned diablo tunes* - these feel good. the 93 “Diablo” tune and performance TCM tune wake the truck up nicely. notable difference over pedal commander/pulsar setup.

*custom tuned (engine and trans tune in my case)* - incredible difference. from a canned tune to a custom tune, you will immediately feel the difference in power & drivability. the notice is drastic. the truck feels more confident, lighter, and much faster. towing is easier…pretty much just a different truck. now that ive spent the money and took the plunge, i would skip all the other devices ive sunk money into over the years and do this immediately.

I’m not insinuating that custom tuned, canned tuned, pulsar, or pedal commander are not reliable. i feel my truck is 100% reliable. note that you do run the risk of messing something up in the process of installing any of these. people have had issues with the pulsar, issues with the pedal commander, issues with custom tuning…YMMV.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Totally agree with above statement on MDS "off" modes - you can hear/feel it kick in for a brief moment and then kick off. When I want MDS truly off, I still use the gear limiter buttons on the wheel.

rubrduk

Reaction score
ive had 2. i bought originally because they had promised custom tunes down the line with the pulsar. (i have a hemifever-tuned eTorque ram now)

the pulsar is just okay, in my opinion. It is NOT A TRUE MDS-OFF DEVICE. I went back and forth with the company over this, and told them i had a hunch that when MDS engages, they have code in the pulsar that just surges the gas a little to “kick out” mds. they did confirm this in my email chain with them.

You could do the same thing with the skinny pedal and a trained ear. I’m not saying that’s a feasible option, but i do think it’s disingenuous to claim it truly disables MDS when it just surges the throttle a little. It gets a little annoying, especially with exhaust on the truck. You trade not hearing 4cyl mode for hearing it engage for a second, then throttle blip. repeat…ad nauseam…

as far as real spark advance tuning goes, i dont really buy that either. ive driven stock rams, pedal commander rams, pulsar rams, and my current etorque ram stock, with canned diablo tune + trans tune, and now a custom 93 tune and trans tune.

*stock* - can’t beat reliable power. hemi rams have great power out of the box.

*pedal commander* - great throttle response with stock reliability.

*pulsar* - mds disable is not real. “tune on the fly” is kind of cool. i’d like to see charted demonstrations of spark & timing advance, otherwise its a glorified pedal commander in my opinion.

*canned diablo tunes* - these feel good. the 93 “Diablo” tune and performance TCM tune wake the truck up nicely. notable difference over pedal commander/pulsar setup.

*custom tuned (engine and trans tune in my case)* - incredible difference. from a canned tune to a custom tune, you will immediately feel the difference in power & drivability. the notice is drastic. the truck feels more confident, lighter, and much faster. towing is easier…pretty much just a different truck. now that ive spent the money and took the plunge, i would skip all the other devices ive sunk money into over the years and do this immediately.

I’m not insinuating that custom tuned, canned tuned, pulsar, or pedal commander are not reliable. i feel my truck is 100% reliable. note that you do run the risk of messing something up in the process of installing any of these. people have had issues with the pulsar, issues with the pedal commander, issues with custom tuning…YMMV.

with the custom tune, do you have any other power adder parts....or is it a stock truck with a custom tune?

next question is it a stock computer flash or is there still a piggyback device that you are flashing and did you lose any mpg as i do enjoy eco mode on my daily 75 mile commute

den721

Reaction score
I bought mine as a Amazon Refurb for $350 and it really wakes up the Truck. Performance mode will spin my 35" and haul ***!! No issues whatsoever!!

dearchristopher

Reaction score
with the custom tune, do you have any other power adder parts....or is it a stock truck with a custom tune?

next question is it a stock computer flash or is there still a piggyback device that you are flashing and did you lose any mpg as i do enjoy eco mode on my daily 75 mile commute

stock exhaust, paper filter. no other bolt ons. 100% stock

swapped my pcm out for an unlocked PCM. i have a diablo t2 that i load custom tunes through. i still have my stock pcm for dealer/warranty work

have not lost any mpg when driving like i used to. if i mash on it, obviously i do. i disabled MDS and eco mode, the truck is just v8 all the time now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rebelyell20

Reaction score
stock exhaust, paper filter. no other bolt ons. 100% stock

swapped my pcm out for an unlocked PCM. i have a diablo t2 that i load custom tunes through. i still have my stock pcm for dealer/warranty work

have not lost any mpg when driving like i used to. if i mash on it, obviously i do. i disabled MDS and eco mode, the truck is just v8 all the time now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So putting your truck back to stock is just as easy as hooking up the original PCM back up? No codes thrown?

dearchristopher

Reaction score
So putting your truck back to stock is just as easy as hooking up the original PCM back up? No codes thrown?

might throw that U0100 battery code or whatever, but that’s an easy clear. you can clear codes with the diablosport

Users who are viewing this thread