5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EDGE CTS3 and Ecodiesel

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've noticed it kick to 1 status at lower temps when not within regen parameters. That's the only reason I mentioned a funky reading. Im assuming at this point that it's due to the way it reads. Meaning an enriched fuel status based on temps. Could be way off base.

Secondary, mine jumped from 79% to 100% today. More of an observation than anything.

FYI for anyone else looking at this as well--the tazer Dt causes read issues and resets with the cts. Found this out the hard way. I've been in contact with tazer without success on resolving the conflict. Seems to be an either/or scenario.
I notice the regen_status on/off at low temps while the engine is warming up but once it get's to operating temps it's mostly correct I think but I really don't pay much attention to it as the real indication is temperature.

Looking at your Edge display you really should be monitoring either or both EGT13 or DPF_inlet_temp as those are the measurement points which indicate temp for regen. And Yes, just like with Torque, the DPF_PCT jumps to 100 when the active regen begins and at that point you should see the EGT13 and DPF_inlet climb to over 1200°

This ins't my current setup as I've removed one of the regen statuses and substituted the rail pressure but in my experience with the Ecod over the last 5+ years these are the temperature readings that provide best regen status.. I wish there was transmission temp like my '15 had so I don't have to keep it displayed on my EVIC when towing.

current.jpg

Last edited:

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this info guys. Where did you buy the CTS3? I need to start monitoring my regens. I’m pretty sure there has been 2 times now where my truck was in the middle of a regen when I got home from work. I get out of the truck in the garage and I can smell it

Daverous

Reaction score
Picked mine up through Amazon incase I hated it and wanted to send it back. Plus 5% cash back doesn't hurt.

Regarding egt13, are we sure it isn't the same pid read point as dpf outlet? I ran both and they appeared to mirror each other down to the degree.

I should add the dpf inlet, can't argue that one :) still playing around with what I want on there. The trans temp is still a bummer to me as well. I haven't read up, but I'm curious on why it can't be included or if it will be added back in once the cts3 is fully supported.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Picked mine up through Amazon incase I hated it and wanted to send it back. Plus 5% cash back doesn't hurt.

Regarding egt13, are we sure it isn't the same pid read point as dpf outlet? I ran both and they appeared to mirror each other down to the degree.

I should add the dpf inlet, can't argue that one :) still playing around with what I want on there. The trans temp is still a bummer to me as well. I haven't read up, but I'm curious on why it can't be included or if it will be added back in once the cts3 is fully supported.
Read this thread for more confusion. ;) The CTS2 did not have a DFP_inlet PID and I used EGT3 as did many others. As for Trans Temp, I had a '15 with it. For all I know FCA did away with that PID in some later model year. I would like to have it back.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this info guys. Where did you buy the CTS3? I need to start monitoring my regens. I’m pretty sure there has been 2 times now where my truck was in the middle of a regen when I got home from work. I get out of the truck in the garage and I can smell it
I bought mine on Amazon as well.

Kazoo

Reaction score
@bill-e man I have been reading some bad reviews with Edge and the CTS 3 which is why I am holding off on getting one... Tons of INPUT issues, reading issues.. Sketchy, but really want it...

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@bill-e man I have been reading some bad reviews with Edge and the CTS 3 which is why I am holding off on getting one... Tons of INPUT issues, reading issues.. Sketchy, but really want it...
I'd be interested in references to the bad reviews. I haven't experienced any reliability or flakiness and I have no idea what "tons of input issues" means but if you're unsure then don't buy one. I' happy with mine.

EcoDemon

Reaction score
I'm very unimpressed with the edge products, I use a old galaxy note 5 that's been wiped to make it faster, and just use mx+ and apha one. I bought an edge and it didn't display a tenth of what mx+ does, also I can completely customize the gauges, size color, redlines, temp colds and hot parameters. So I can see in an actual real time value if something is getting out of line. 80$ for mx, and 50$ for alpha. Can't beat it.

EcoDemon

Reaction score
But I used that on my 2015 ECO, I have a 2020 Laramie ECO now and am waiting on my sgm bypass to arrive.

Daverous

Reaction score
I need to update mine, it's been 6 months or so, but yes. They've added a ton of PIDs since I first installed mine. I'm not one that uses every single aspect of it so I'd wait for someone who experiments more to chime in as well. I'm sure I under utilize the tool. They also have an official mounting solution for it now.

Personally I tend to watch things like Def consumption and egr % usage front and rear recently. I have a dealer visit coming up and wanted to compare my GDE to the stock tune when I swap it in.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Been reading this thread and need to comment.
1 - The DPF Inlet and EGT13 are the same. The EGT13 sensor is located at the DPF inlet.
2 - The PF-REGEN-STATUS pid is the one that tells you if an active regen is off or on. Off is a 0 and On is a 1.
3 - The miles and hours since the last regen pids don't work for me. They might show a number but do not record anything after the next regen.

I run the CTS2 (and sometimes a CTS3) on my 2016 Eco and a CTS3 on my 2020 3500 HO. I use a 6 pid screen on my CTS2 and a 12 pid screen on my CTS3. Edge has frequent updates on the newer year trucks. It's important to check for updates.

Users who are viewing this thread