5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EDGE CTS3 and Ecodiesel

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
By the way, I just ordered and installed an Edge CTS3 with hopes that it would read my PID's at least as well as my OBDIILink LX and Torque Pro on my phone but alas it did not. It wouldn't even pull one PID from the ECU. The CTS2 I just sold pulled about 10 of them though none were what I wanted to monitor so I was hopeful that the CTS3 would be better.

If anyone has a different experience with it please let me know.

Wisely I bought it through Amazon Prime so it's going back.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
First call to Edge was a waste of time. Today I called and got a somewhat helpful person who had me reset to the default PID's and then reset the whole monitor to factory defaults. That worked and I can now get all the PID's needed to monitor the engine....except the naming convention is a little different so I will have to do some experimenting.

Edge also said that they were looking for a local 2020 EcoD to do some dyno testing on so that they would write the tuner code. He believes the Gen3 engine will be supported in the next 6-12 months .

cts3-1.jpg
cts3-2.jpg

Last edited:

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this is my setup for the main screen and I'll be testing it tomorrow on a 120mi round trip. I'm happy with most of what I've got displayed but I'm unsure of the two Regen PID's. I believe the PM11-Regen near the center is the passive regen on/off because it seems to toggle with the DPF-Inlet temp goes above about 630° on the left. I'm just guessing that the PF-Regen-Stat on the lower right is the active regen but will have to wait for an active regen to confirm.

It would be nice if the gauge labels could be edited. maybe if they end up supporting the EcoD they will make the names and on/off more friendly like on the CTS2.

Also notice on the lower left that the miles since last regen is now working again, as is the Time though that's on a different screen.

Lastly, Forced Regen is not present.

cts3-3.jpg

Last edited:

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ventmount.jpg

I found a mount on Amazon which worked perfectly and got the CTS3 out from the windshield and more inside the truck, less obvious from the outside, not impairing your view, and pretty close to where it would be in a pillar mount.

Here's the mount from Amazon
71hzdYHooeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And a short video describing how I mounted the Edge.

Dave_Drums

Reaction score
I’ve been looking for something like this for my 2020 limited EcoD. Sounds like you’re having luck with it but there aren’t any available tunes yet, right? This is my first diesel and so I want to make sure I’m learning the levels and was really surprised you can’t even see boost in the factory cluster. Are you happy with it?

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been running an Edge CTS2 and now CTS3 since 2015 and I've gotten quite dependent on it for monitoring my truck's vitals. It's interesting to me how much different the Gen 3 motor is when it comes to temperatures and Regen. Personally I wouldn't be without it and while it is more expensive that say the ScanGauge II I prefer the upgraded display.

While resetting codes is a feature of the CTS3 I have not had any codes to reset and I really don't know if that function will work without the security bypass adapter. In any event I'm not interested in tuning, just monitoring and resetting codes.

Last edited:

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah this engine is a little odd. With the Scan Gauge I monitor soot load on the DPF and yesterday I was at 60 but when I started it this morning it reads 12. There was no regen in between. Odd.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah this engine is a little odd. With the Scan Gauge I monitor soot load on the DPF and yesterday I was at 60 but when I started it this morning it reads 12. There was no regen in between. Odd.
Does the Scan Gauge show passive regens? I think 60 to 12 is a bit much for non towing passive regens, I did go from upper 60's to 30's while towing with just passive regens. on a 150mi tow

Right now I'm hovering between 65 and 75 for over a week seeing only passive regens. I am really waiting for the first active regen with the CTS3 to see if I am monitoring the right on/off switch and if the temp reads the same as with Torque

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No passive regens are almost indetectable. I can see it happening on the Scan Gauge if DPF temp is above 650 but that's the only indication you get...just watching soot load fall while DPF temp is high.

It's really weird that it was so low when I got in the truck this morning. Maybe the Scan Gauge is showing false data. Who knows?

Dave_Drums

Reaction score
I've been running an Edge CTS2 and now CTS3 since 2015 and I've gotten quite dependent on it for monitoring my truck's vitals. It's interesting to me how much different the Gen 3 motor is when it comes to temperatures and Regen. Personally I wouldn't be without it and while it is more expensive that say the ScanGauge II I prefer the upgraded display.

While resetting codes is a feature of the CTS3 I have not had any codes to reset and I really don't know if that function will work without the security bypass adapter. In any event I'm not interested in tuning, just monitoring and resetting codes.
SO then I assume it works on our 3rd gen EcoD? I'm not looking to tune right now either, just monitor. Sounds like you're doing that successfully. And if that's the case I'm placing my order

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I took a 210mi round trip with my truck today. Lightly loaded for a primitive biathlon shoot. 31mpg which is the highest I've ever experienced for average miles on this particular trip...on winter fuel no less!

Anyway, monitoring the CTS3 I was waiting for the truck to enter it's first active regen with the Edge. What I thought was the Active on/off PID wasn't, still not sure if there actually is one. So what happened, which is different than the Gen 2 w/CTS2 is that the soot loading slowly climbed to an indicated 80% and then I assume when it was going to hit 81% immediately went to 100% and the EGT3 and DPF inlet temps indicated that an active regen finally started. The soot loading stayed at 100% until the active regen completed.

This behavior is different from the Torque app and the EGT3 temps were consistent with the Gent 2 CTS2 topping out in the upper 1200's °F so the Torque PID I was using that topped out at 750-ish must have been °C even though I had the units set to imperial.

So I'm happy monitoring just the Soot loading because it only goes to 100% when the active regen actually starts but what I don't know is what happens when I restart the truck after stopping mid regen. With Torque it would stay at 100% until the regen completed and the soot was down at 8%, I hope with the CTS3 it will act like the CTS2 and show the correct soot loading if there was enough regen to reduce the soot to under the trigger point (which I think now is 80%).

Daverous

Reaction score
Picked one up last week after your input, so thanks for sure. Since the gen3 wasn't listed I was on the fence.

Only weird issue I've seen so far is a lack of trans temp pid? I can monitor via the cluster but am curious if maybe I missed it?

Also my soot loading has been sitting at 100% for a week so I'm leaning towards a factory reset and updating again like you had to do.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Picked one up last week after your input, so thanks for sure. Since the gen3 wasn't listed I was on the fence.

Only weird issue I've seen so far is a lack of trans temp pid? I can monitor via the cluster but am curious if maybe I missed it?

Also my soot loading has been sitting at 100% for a week so I'm leaning towards a factory reset and updating again like you had to do.
There was a trans temp on the CTS2 but there is not a PID for trans Temp anymore, not in the Torque app either.

If everything else is working I wouldn't think that a reset will help. What I would do is get the truck up to temp and get on the highway and see if it goes into active regen by watching EGT13. If your EGT13 is working but not getting to regen temps then that is the engine and not the CTS3 and maybe is caused by short trips so try to give it plenty of time on the highway. Like I said above when my truck hit 81% the CTS immediately jumped to 100% and the EGT3 climbed up to 1250 or so and my regen completed in about 10 miles or so. I was on the outbound 100mi leg of my trip when it happened so I was on the highway for a long time.

Daverous

Reaction score
Got ya. Thought I was missing something on that trans temp. I have been running shorter trips(10 miles or less but 75+ highway) the last week. I'll hit the highway tomorrow and see where it lands with egt3 up as well. Thanks again.

Dave_Drums

Reaction score
I’m about to pull the trigger on one of these. Just had mine lifted with the 5” Rough Country and added 35” tires. I think this will perform speedo calibration but wonder if either of you have done that? If so this is a no brainer. Thanks!!

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m about to pull the trigger on one of these. Just had mine lifted with the 5” Rough Country and added 35” tires. I think this will perform speedo calibration but wonder if either of you have done that? If so this is a no brainer. Thanks!!
It allows for you to update the tire info in the CTS3 which I assume will affect the speed displayed in the CTS3 but it won't allow you to update the vehicle's actual calibration and thus will not change your dash data.

As I said in an earlier post, While the CTS3 will display data from the Gen 3 PID's it does not officially support our Gen 3 engine but Edge says it's coming soon. I asked what soon meant and they said 6 months to a year.

Daverous

Reaction score
There was a trans temp on the CTS2 but there is not a PID for trans Temp anymore, not in the Torque app either.

If everything else is working I wouldn't think that a reset will help. What I would do is get the truck up to temp and get on the highway and see if it goes into active regen by watching EGT13. If your EGT13 is working but not getting to regen temps then that is the engine and not the CTS3 and maybe is caused by short trips so try to give it plenty of time on the highway. Like I said above when my truck hit 81% the CTS immediately jumped to 100% and the EGT3 climbed up to 1250 or so and my regen completed in about 10 miles or so. I was on the outbound 100mi leg of my trip when it happened so I was on the highway for a long time.
The active regen(1/0) is funky as you indicated. I thought it was functioning when I saw the dpf temps shoot up to 1200 and it cycled to 1, only to see it kick over to 1 again while running around the 500 degree mark. Unfortunate.

It did finally cycle and brought the filter from 100 down to 9 on the gauge. I can at least see the dpf temp and that and get a general idea.

That and any time it's in regen and I try to back up the truck throws on the auto brakes ;)

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My experience is that the active regen switch goes to 1 at a DPF inlet temp of around 600° and if you stay there you'll see the soot loading % reduce (passive regen)

It will also turn on when you go into active as indicated by 100% soot loading and EGT3 temps rising to over 1200°

So I don't think it's funky because the above described actions are consistent, just acts differently then we assumed.

In any event I am happy with the meter and maybe someday I'll even set up more than the first screen ;)

Daverous

Reaction score
I've noticed it kick to 1 status at lower temps when not within regen parameters. That's the only reason I mentioned a funky reading. Im assuming at this point that it's due to the way it reads. Meaning an enriched fuel status based on temps. Could be way off base.

Secondary, mine jumped from 79% to 100% today. More of an observation than anything.

FYI for anyone else looking at this as well--the tazer Dt causes read issues and resets with the cts. Found this out the hard way. I've been in contact with tazer without success on resolving the conflict. Seems to be an either/or scenario.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread