5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EcoDiesels selling for TRX prices

Mchurch52

Reaction score
With the inventory shortages most dealerships around here (NW Louisiana/East TX) only have one or two 1500s on the lot with EcoD engines. Yesterday I was browsing the inventory at a dealership in TX and noticed they had a Longhorn with the EcoD and my jaw about hit the floor when I saw the advertised price was $83K. That is $5K above MSRP! I was even more shocked this morning to see that it had sold.

Not sure what made that truck so special, but holy crap...

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Not surprised at all.

Around 2008 or whenever it was that gas prices last shot up at an alarming rate, there was a waiting list for Priuses and they were going for several thousand above MSRP. Where I worked we had easily a hundred Corollas in stock, at decent prices. The difference in price would make up the additional cost of fuel for at least five years but the public doesn't look at that. Likewise I know a woman who isn't terribly bright who dumped a nice Highlander for some little Mazda because she was spending an extra $15/week on gas now. But then she picked up about $130/month higher car payment. A net loss.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealer is VERY low on inventory but they had one EcoDiesel and when I was there Saturday morning two familys came to look at it in the rain and the second family took it on the spot.

I was there trying to work a deal on moving up to a Cummins and the dealership offered me $44k for mine with 16,000 miles on the clock. That's $4k more than I paid for it 14 months ago!

The market is NUTS right now.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m so glad I bought when I did, sticker price was 78k Canadian and I paid just over 52k plus taxes.

Used trucks should keep their value better with the way covid is affecting the different manufacturing plants causing less to be built. I don’t plan on trading in anytime soon, but it’s always an option should I need an upgrade.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
I’m so glad I bought when I did, sticker price was 78k Canadian and I paid just over 52k plus taxes.

Used trucks should keep their value better with the way covid is affecting the different manufacturing plants causing less to be built. I don’t plan on trading in anytime soon, but it’s always an option should I need an upgrade.
Same here. I'm very happy with my truck and don't see myself ever going back to a gas engine, but it's good to know I could trade up to a 3/4 ton if I had to and not lose my shirt.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealer is VERY low on inventory but they had one EcoDiesel and when I was there Saturday morning two familys came to look at it in the rain and the second family took it on the spot.

I was there trying to work a deal on moving up to a Cummins and the dealership offered me $44k for mine with 16,000 miles on the clock. That's $4k more than I paid for it 14 months ago!

The market is NUTS right now.
You going to do the swap?

Husker4theSpurs

Reaction score
I have been noticing the same. I am going to wait on the 2022s and likely order one as I can't find any the way I want it. I have a solid offer for an order as well. Hoping for UConnect5 at a minimum as far as improvements on the 2022.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You going to do the swap?

No I've decided against it.

I think I'm going in the opposite direction. May go back to the Gladiator with EcoDiesel OR.... if the 4xe version can maintain the towing capacity of the ICE versions I may try that. The Jeep is just so much fun, and the folks on my YouTube channel miss it badly.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No I've decided against it.

I think I'm going in the opposite direction. May go back to the Gladiator with EcoDiesel OR.... if the 4xe version can maintain the towing capacity of the ICE versions I may try that. The Jeep is just so much fun, and the folks on my YouTube channel miss it badly.
I wouldn't make decisions based off your YouTube channel, I watch it as well.

How would you tow your big trailer with a gladiator? You'd surely be at the absolute max on payload and capacity.

silver billet

Reaction score
The thing I don't get; yes the dealers are offering huge money on used trucks, but they must not be offering incentives/sales on new stuff. Right?

I just can't believe that used prices would go up but new prices wouldn't. So you're not saving any money, unless you move from a truck outside the market to a SUV/car.

Mchurch52

Reaction score
The thing I don't get; yes the dealers are offering huge money on used trucks, but they must not be offering incentives/sales on new stuff. Right?

I just can't believe that used prices would go up but new prices wouldn't. So you're not saving any money, unless you move from a truck outside the market to a SUV/car.
That's what I'm seeing. Dealers offering great prices for your old vehicle aren't offering much in the way of discounts on new vehicles. I'm seeing the same in the housing market around here...yes, exisitng homes are selling for top dollar, so you may make money on your old home, but you'll be paying out the butt for your next one so what are you really gaining?

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have been noticing the same. I am going to wait on the 2022s and likely order one as I can't find any the way I want it. I have a solid offer for an order as well. Hoping for UConnect5 at a minimum as far as improvements on the 2022.
This is my plan as well - hope the 2022 updates include more tech options on the Big Horn and they get the chip shortage sorted for sfety features. Also hope my 2019 value stays high for trade!

tom318

Reaction score
Used car prices are crazy right now in all classes of vehicles. Trying to help a friend buy a cx5 or escape and we are literally seeing the same used cars sit for weeks but instead of dropping the price they go up each week. There are some used 21s ED around me and they are nearly 10k more than what paid for mine and they are less equipped. So glad I ordered when I did.

Prices on new cars seem to be higher. So like the housing market, you get top dollar for you car but then you spend top dollar on a new one. Talked to a dealer yesterday about a new 2020 ford escape and i asked him why wont you negotiate on the sticker price for a 2020? Don't you want to clear them out? He said you would think so, but we aren't because we don't have that many new ones coming and aren't sure when or how many we will get. If we discount all our new cars and sell them in a week then what are we going to do? He even agreed and told me unless I really need a car right now that I should wait.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't make decisions based off your YouTube channel, I watch it as well.

How would you tow your big trailer with a gladiator? You'd surely be at the absolute max on payload and capacity.

Yes but truthfully I'm maxed out now as well. There's about 100 lbs. difference in payload between the Gladiator I traded and this Ram. And with the EcoDiesel you're talking identical powertrain. So it should be a very similar towing experience. And honestly, I don't tow that trailer all that often. I can just slow down a little if I need to.

Arth

Reaction score
Yes but truthfully I'm maxed out now as well. There's about 100 lbs. difference in payload between the Gladiator I traded and this Ram. And with the EcoDiesel you're talking identical powertrain. So it should be a very similar towing experience. And honestly, I don't tow that trailer all that often. I can just slow down a little if I need to.

Interesting you'd say that you'll not be going to the Cummins.

What swayed you? I've been tempted but I am worried about the ride unloaded and the MPG.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting you'd say that you'll not be going to the Cummins.

What swayed you? I've been tempted but I am worried about the ride unloaded and the MPG.

What swayed me away from moving up to the Cummins?

1. Prices are insane. 4 year old trucks with 100k on the clock are $45,000. New ones lease like s*** compared to a half ton, with monthly payments that are literally double.

2. 5'7" box not available, which means I'd never be able to use my residential garage ever again.

3. Fuel mileage is identical to a 6.4L Hemi while towing, and is only 3 MPG higher when unloaded. And compared to EcoDiesel I'd lose a solid 5-6 MPG in typical daily driving.

4. Washboard ride quality.

5. Payload is only 400 lbs. greater than a Gladiator/Ram 1500, unless you go Ram 3500 and then every one in stock is a dually.

6. Maintenance intervals are even more expensive than the EcoD, if that were possible. More oil, double the fuel filters, etc.

So I think I'll stick with the EcoD trucks. Tunes are coming out this year. IF we can get close to 600 lb/ft of torque at the crank, which is certainly within the realm of possibility, then we'll have the same power to weight ratio as a stock Cummins truck, but in a package that's garagable, parkable, and a lot more fun to daily drive.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Used trucks have always had great resale, but right now everything is up, especially those with historically high resale. I cringe at the thought of looking at a used Wrangler or Tacoma.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread