5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EcoDiesel worth waiting for?

T_Strey5

Reaction score
Assuming Ram was able to address the reliability issues of the current engine, is the upcoming EcoDiesel going to be worth the wait or is the V6 the safer bet?

I saw the MPG numbers for the eTorque V6 and can’t say I was surprised by the numbers since it’s in line with the eTorque V8 improvements but was hoping for that 27 number seen on some “leaked” pamphlets. I told myself if 27 happened I wouldn’t hesitate to get the V6 and go with something with a proven history and less expensive maintenance. But with 25 MPG I can’t help but be tempted by the rumored 30+ MPG of the EcoDiesel.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If I were you my decision would be based on my confidence level whether the reliability problems were completely addressed. Until I was certain I wouldn’t go there.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn’t buy the diesel for the sole purpose of saving fuel. Yes, the diesel will get better mileage. The drawback is the high cost up front for the diesel option. Add to that higher cost of diesel compared to regular unleaded (at least where I live) the need to buy def fluid and higher maintenance costs (just price an oil change for example).

I’d look at the diesel if I were towing/hauling heavy loads but I don’t think that’s what you’re looking for if you’re considering the v6.

T_Strey5

Reaction score
I wouldn’t buy the diesel for the sole purpose of saving fuel. Yes, the diesel will get better mileage. The drawback is the high cost up front for the diesel option. Add to that higher cost of diesel compared to regular unleaded (at least where I live) the need to buy def fluid and higher maintenance costs (just price an oil change for example).

I’d look at the diesel if I were towing/hauling heavy loads but I don’t think that’s what you’re looking for if you’re considering the v6.
I could be wrong but when I looked at the towing numbers of the EcoDiesel they compared to the V6 as far as payload goes. So I am mostly looking at it from a mileage aspect. I was ready to buy a 18 EcoDiesel last year until I looked through the forums and saw the issues. During that time I calculated the extra cost of the engine plus the fuel/DEF costs and it’ll make sense for me cause I’ll be keeping this truck for a minimum of 10 years (that’s the plan at least). My current commute is about 20 min but we travel a lot and would like the truck to be the road trip vehicle.

RT70808

Reaction score
I could be wrong but when I looked at the towing numbers of the EcoDiesel they compared to the V6 as far as payload goes. So I am mostly looking at it from a mileage aspect. I was ready to buy a 18 EcoDiesel last year until I looked through the forums and saw the issues. During that time I calculated the extra cost of the engine plus the fuel/DEF costs and it’ll make sense for me cause I’ll be keeping this truck for a minimum of 10 years (that’s the plan at least). My current commute is about 20 min but we travel a lot and would like the truck to be the road trip vehicle.
Never had an issue with my grand Cherokee ecodiesel. 2015 model, 75k miles, easy 10 k oil changes, top mount oil filter. Filled the def once every oil change. 18 mpg in bad city only traffic, 24 mpg avg combined, 29 mpg hwy cruising. If it wasn’t for such a late release and my grand Cherokee being wrecked. I would have waited. Only downside no lifetime max care on the ecodiesel.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Reason I mentioned towing is that the diesel gets significantly better mileage while towing (up to 50% better than the gas v8) and the tow ratings are higher than the Pentastar v6 though not as high as the v8 when equipped with a comparable rear end ratio.

I have the Pentastar in my 2015 and I can easily get 26-27mpg on the highway. My best trip mpg was 1100 miles averaging 28.4mpg hand calculated. Maybe the 2019 would do even better.

If you really want the diesel then that’s what you should get. In my opinion though, buying the diesel just for the mileage difference over the v6 just doesn’t make financial sense. Now if you were comparing the v8 to the diesel that’s another story.

Again just my opinion.

T_Strey5

Reaction score
Never had an issue with my grand Cherokee ecodiesel. 2015 model, 75k miles, easy 10 k oil changes, top mount oil filter. Filled the def once every oil change. 18 mpg in bad city only traffic, 24 mpg avg combined, 29 mpg hwy cruising. If it wasn’t for such a late release and my grand Cherokee being wrecked. I would have waited. Only downside no lifetime max care on the ecodiesel.
The lack of lifetime warranty is certainly a bummer, mostly because of all the electronics and sensors in all the vehicles now.

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
Assuming Ram was able to address the reliability issues of the current engine, is the upcoming EcoDiesel going to be worth the wait or is the V6 the safer bet?

I saw the MPG numbers for the eTorque V6 and can’t say I was surprised by the numbers since it’s in line with the eTorque V8 improvements but was hoping for that 27 number seen on some “leaked” pamphlets. I told myself if 27 happened I wouldn’t hesitate to get the V6 and go with something with a proven history and less expensive maintenance. But with 25 MPG I can’t help but be tempted by the rumored 30+ MPG of the EcoDiesel.

My former boss just had his EcoDiesel engine blow at 8K miles. Just stating a fact. This was 3 weeks ago,

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My former boss just had his EcoDiesel engine blow at 8K miles. Just stating a fact. This was 3 weeks ago,
Mine went out at 48k just after completing its certified pre-owned inspections. Draw whatever conclusions you want from the disturbingly plentiful stories like this out there. My advice: Get a long power train warranty with it or get something else. Wouldn’t want any of you good people to have to go through the same experience as I did. Waiting on my Hemi now!

Users who are viewing this thread