5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ecodiesel Towing Report

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Figure I'd post a first impression towing report with my 2020 Ecodiesel limited. It has 3.92 gears.

I rented a 7x18 (16ft box 2ft V) for a snowmobile trip we are taking. I towed the trailer about 100km today doing 108kmh and averaged 15 mpg. For reference I usually average about 24.5mpg so far this winter. The trailer is about 2,000lbs empty. Loaded it will be around 3200lbs. It's a large trailer so wind resistance is more of a problem than the weight.

The Ecodiesel performed great so far. It effortlessly accelerates and doesn't need to be wound out like my Hemi did (I had a 2019 Hemi). On the highway it stayed in 7th and 8th gear and even pulled small hills in 8th gear. It only had to downshift to 6th once on a steep grade when I accelerated. I'm using tow haul mode.

I'll driving about 1,500km over the next few days so I will report back on this thread of my impressions and thoughts. So far so good though!

Attachments

• 20210109_130051.jpg
    20210109_130051.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210109_130134.jpg
    20210109_130134.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210109_140836.jpg
    20210109_140836.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 50

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a very similar legend v-nose 7x17 all aluminum trailer which has extra height to make room for side by sides, and I have towed lots with it averaging around 17-18L/100km loaded to 5-6k total.

I also liked the fact that the diesel just chugs away in higher gears compared to a gas truck. Have fun sledding, we don’t have any snow in south western Ontario at all.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy my own 7x16 with a 5ft V and front ramp next year for the sleds. I rented this one because I wanted to make sure I liked how it towed etc before I took the plunge.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you plan on pulling the trailer a lot in the winter try to find a trailer with an all aluminum frame, it’ll cost a bit more upfront but you won’t have to worry about rust on anything other than the axles and trailer tongue. You will also save a few hundred pounds.

I’ve loaded 8 face cords of firewood into my trailer, the truck handled it okay but I think I was over my trailers 7000lb weight limit.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you plan on pulling the trailer a lot in the winter try to find a trailer with an all aluminum frame, it’ll cost a bit more upfront but you won’t have to worry about rust on anything other than the axles and trailer tongue. You will also save a few hundred pounds.

I’ve loaded 8 face cords of firewood into my trailer, the truck handled it okay but I think I was over my trailers 7000lb weight limit.
Oh yeah I'll be all aluminum for sure. Not messing around with unprotected steel and salt.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Ecodiesel performed great so far. It effortlessly accelerates and doesn't need to be wound out like my Hemi did (I had a 2019 Hemi). On the highway it stayed in 7th and 8th gear and even pulled small hills in 8th gear. It only had to downshift to 6th once on a steep grade when I accelerated. I'm using tow haul mode.
Neither my 15 or 20 go into 8th gear in the tow haul mode.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t see 8th gear much while towing unless I keep the speeds down. Highways in Canada have lower speed limits than most in the USA so we may see a bit better mileage.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I made that comment because back in the Gen 2 days it was a common belief that you would not go into 8th in Tow-Haul and that was certainly my experience even at speeds/torque/rpm where it would normally be in 8th.....and I purposely tried to make it happen.

Next time I go out I'll try to get into 8th in TH mode while unloaded. I remember trying this with my 15 and it wouldn't go into 8th until I turned off TH mode.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have an 8x16 enclosed trailer, I bought for trailering the snow machines, I hated getting all the salt on the tarps of the sleds. I had to reverse the second machine to fit in the trailer.
The trailer is an Atlas aluminum with steal frame and the aluminum is corroded right through on the walls where it meets the steel, it took 5 years for it to get to that point, my friend has the same trailer but doesn’t use it in the winter and it is fine.
You are absolutely right about all aluminum.
My truck pulls that trailer with such ease compared to my older 2011 Ram with the Hemi, and so much better on fuel.

Attachments

• 694D44AE-7340-4030-A25D-DD23E2DB43E4.jpeg
    694D44AE-7340-4030-A25D-DD23E2DB43E4.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 22

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have an 8x16 enclosed trailer, I bought for trailering the snow machines, I hated getting all the salt on the tarps of the sleds. I had to reverse the second machine to fit in the trailer.
The trailer is an Atlas aluminum with steal frame and the aluminum is corroded right through on the walls where it meets the steel, it took 5 years for it to get to that point, my friend has the same trailer but doesn’t use it in the winter and it is fine.
You are absolutely right about all aluminum.
My truck pulls that trailer with such ease compared to my older 2011 Ram with the Hemi, and so much better on fuel.
Aluminum and steel don't play well together.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update. Did 700km today, truck did well. Averaged 14.5mpg in quite hilly terrain. Overall very impressed with the towing ability. The cruise control does cause some uncecessary downshifts I find as it's a bit too agreessibe (let's speed bleed off then guns it). If I took cruise off I could maintain 7th gear up most hills.

The truck will go into 8th gear with TH on..it will do it down hills or on very flat areas.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting on 8th gear, I cant wait to try my truck. In the 10k miles I've towed neither of my EcoD's have ever gone into 8th gear and plenty of long downhills. Maybe it's because I usually tow up at the max limit of capacity. '15 was a 3.55 and '20 is a 3.92.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting on 8th gear, I cant wait to try my truck. In the 10k miles I've towed neither of my EcoD's have ever gone into 8th gear and plenty of long downhills. Maybe it's because I usually tow up at the max limit of capacity. '15 was a 3.55 and '20 is a 3.92.
Or maybe your gears are metric too ;)

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I'm certainly not close to max limit, although this trailer rows "heavier" because it's so much wind drag.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Back from the trip. Averaged 14.5mpg over 1450km. Overall a very nice and relaxed towing experience with the Ecodiesel. The only negative which isn't really Ecodiesel specific is the cruise control is a bit too agreessive in the hills. I found it better to keep it off and then the truck will maintain 7th gear up most hills. It will go into 8th easier on the downhills and flats as well

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Back from the trip. Averaged 14.5mpg over 1450km. Overall a very nice and relaxed towing experience with the Ecodiesel. The only negative which isn't really Ecodiesel specific is the cruise control is a bit too agreessive in the hills. I found it better to keep it off and then the truck will maintain 7th gear up most hills. It will go into 8th easier on the downhills and flats as well
I feel the same way about the cruise reactions when it comes to hills, it does the same thing even when not towing, I think its the throttle response that is too slow, by the time the throttle responds your truck has already slowed down 5 kph or more, then it finally responds too aggressively. I wish there was a setting for that.

I usually cancel the cruise when going down a hill, the truck shifts down one gear when you go more than 3kph faster than your set speed, it will also apply the brakes to stop it from going faster, I’m not sure if it’s because I use the adaptive cruise.

Last edited:

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel the same way about the cruise reactions when it comes to hills, it does the same thing even when not towing, I think its the throttle response that is too slow, by the time the throttle responds your truck has already slowed down 5 kph or more, then it finally responds too aggressively. I wish there was a setting for that.
I usually cancel the cruise when going down a hill, if it will go past 3 kph above your set speed because the truck shifts down one gear and will apply the brakes if it goes faster, I’m not sure if it’s because of the adaptive cruise.
Though not as aggressive as while in Cruise, the Tow/Haul mode will also downshift on hills more often than with it off.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And I tried to get into 8th gear with my truck empty in Tow/Haul and it wont go. It maxes out at 7.

Kooch80

Reaction score
And I tried to get into 8th gear with my truck empty in Tow/Haul and it wont go. It maxes out at 7.
I have found that the truck will not go into 8th with tow/haul on but if you are in 8th and turn it on it stays in 8th

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You need a slight downhill and back off the throttle and it will go into 8th and maintain it on the flats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online