5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ecodiesel EGR System Service - expensive maintenance at Dealership

alamgirian6329

Reaction score
I recently moved to TX from North. I want to raise my kids in a different environment and felt it was best for my family to move. I had good experience with my RAM dealer where I bought the truck and serviced up northeast.

In Dallas, I went to get engine oil leak looked at the dealer - they verified the problem and supposedly changed the Timing Valve cover with a **shortcut**, instead of opening up the top of motor, injectors etc - they said they are able to manipulate their way through - getting enough space to get the job done. O well...

Question: The dealership has a $1000+ MAINTENANCE service for EGR system - The advisor said, they connect a machine which cleans the whole system. Anyone else with thoughts on this ?

Background:: I have NOT cleaned by EGR tube in 46K miles ownership. Mostly highway drive - now drive 100 miles or so daily on commute. Maintenance at 7500 miles interval - most recent blackstone labs analysis showed slightly higher than expected aluminum in the oil.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to clean soot by just pumping it full of O2 from a oxy acetylene torch and sparking it. poof no more soot.

Every single blackstone lab I've ever seen on an Ecodiesel has very high metals and aluminum than would be expected. It's "normal" or a process wide failure in manufacturing.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used to clean soot by just pumping it full of O2 from a oxy acetylene torch and sparking it. poof no more soot.

Every single blackstone lab I've ever seen on an Ecodiesel has very high metals and aluminum than would be expected. It's "normal" or a process wide failure in manufacturing.
Every Blackstone labs reports I’ve seen on this forum was with Pennzoil, and the results are never impressive.
I have been using Shell Rotella T6 and it would be interesting to see lab reports using Shell oil. 63,000km or 40,000miles and still going as good as new.

LX Sport

Reaction score
Every Blackstone labs reports I’ve seen on this forum was with Pennzoil, and the results are never impressive.
I have been using Shell Rotella T6 and it would be interesting to see lab reports using Shell oil. 63,000km or 40,000miles and still going as good as new.

So...are you going to do a blackstone report?

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So...are you going to do a blackstone report?
I will not, I live 10 hours north of the US border. I’ve never had engine failure on any of my previous vehicles. I am simply curious to see if there would be a difference between oils.

I have seen on an oil analysis tread, that someone is using Quaker State oil, in his last 2 oil changes, the numbers are similar to Pennzoil, I also seen another post saying that he switched to Shell Rotella T6 in August and will be posting his oil analysis soon.

Users who are viewing this thread