5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ecodiesel driving experience

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get very similar fuel mileage, what is more impressive is if you convert 8.4L/100km to Canadian mpg it is 33.6 mpg.
Did you do the hand calculations for your results, I found that the EVIC shows 1 mpg better than it is, most of the time, but still very impressive either way!
Do you keep track of your DEF usage? I got over 700km/L on the last fill.
I will be doing a 1000km trip with my 8x16 loaded trailer soon, moving my daughter to Quebec, “je me souviens” is the logo on their plates in that province. I will post my mpg.
You must have many KMs on your truck now.
While I don’t keep track of the def usage I used just over 2.5 gallons of def total, the majority of it was while towing and the gauge barely moved on the return trip.

I have put a total of 40600km on my truck in 14 months now, most is highway driving. Maybe 1/3 is while towing.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While I don’t keep track of the def usage I used just over 2.5 gallons of def total, the majority of it was while towing and the gauge barely moved on the return trip.

I have put a total of 40600km on my truck in 14 months now, most is highway driving. Maybe 1/3 is while towing.
I thought I put a lot of kms, my truck has just over 20,000km in 11 months.
In Timmins, Diesel is $1.16/L, regular is $1.37/L, always feels good to fuel up 100 litres, save me $21 each time, so the savings would be a lot more than $21 if I still had my 2011 Ram with the Hemi because of the mpg difference.

chrisinfante

Reaction score
I had a 2019 Hemi and hated it and traded for a 2020 Ecodiesel and I love it.

Do what makes you happy. It will never make sense to financially to switch, but neither does driving a 70k truck, so who gives a $hit. Life is too short.
I am considering this right now. I've had a Chevy Duramax's and LS motors, two 2500's with Cummins and for some reason decided to buy a 2019 Limited with a Hemi two years ago, by far the worst truck I've had. Yes the interior is awesome but I will never buy another Hemi #notimpressed

I will also say the the fuel / gas mileage in all the above mentioned trucks was better unloaded and loaded than the Hemi is!

Last edited:

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2,000 miles on my truck in 4 days of ownership. 2021 EcoDiesel w/ 33 gallon tank.

download

Last 300 miles not tracked because I haven't filled up yet.

DEF...truck came with 50% in the tank. I filled up with DEF at mile 350 at a truck stop in central Mississippi. When I got home at 1950 miles on the Odometer, I went to auto zone and grabbed 2.5 gallons of DEF and she took it all. Gauge reads full but it probably could have taken a few more ounces..I'll never know. But quick math leads me to think that DEF is going to be 2.5 gallons every 1500 miles give or take and it's around $15 for a 2.5 gallon so that counts AGAINST the fuel cost per mile in my opinion. Every 2 tanks of gas, add $15 for DEF.

No throttle lag or weirdness which is good. mated to the ZF transmission, it's a very smooth cruiser. We averaged 70-85 MPH the entire way home. At 70, she seems to idle at 2,000. 85, I'm around 2500 RPM and it drinks a little bit more fuel that way.

My cost per mile is extra high because I hit a few places that were $3.55 a gallon for Diesel. Back home, diesel is $2.94 a gallon everywhere so my price per gallon will drop off a lot. My Golf R was getting 24 MPG with Shell's 93 octane costing $3.35 so I'm going to be spending less on gas driving this around.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2,000 miles on my truck in 4 days of ownership. 2021 EcoDiesel w/ 33 gallon tank.

download

DEF...truck came with 50% in the tank. I filled up with DEF at mile 350 at a truck stop in central Mississippi. When I got home at 1950 miles on the Odometer, I went to auto zone and grabbed 2.5 gallons of DEF and she took it all. Gauge reads full but it probably could have taken a few more ounces..I'll never know. But quick math leads me to think that DEF is going to be 2.5 gallons every 1500 miles give or take and it's around $15 for a 2.5 gallon so that counts AGAINST the fuel cost per mile in my opinion. Every 2 tanks of gas, add $15 for DEF.

No throttle lag or weirdness which is good. mated to the ZF transmission, it's a very smooth cruiser. We averaged 70-85 MPH the entire way home. At 70, she seems to idle at 2,000. 85, I'm around 2500 RPM and it drinks a little bit more fuel that way.

My cost per mile is extra high because I hit a few places that were $3.55 a gallon for Diesel. Back home, diesel is $2.94 a gallon everywhere so my price per gallon will drop off a lot. My Golf R was getting 24 MPG with Shell's 93 octane costing $3.35 so I'm going to be spending less on gas driving this around.
You can also carry and tow a hell of a lot more with your truck than with your Golf R and still be efficient.
I have been keeping track of my DEF usage, so far after 13,000 miles it has averaged 1,150 miles per USA gallons, I converted my DEF usage from km/L to American 🇺🇸 figures for you to compare.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can also carry and tow a hell of a lot more with your truck than with your Golf R and still be efficient.
I have been keeping track of my DEF usage, so far after 13,000 miles it has averaged 1,150 miles per USA gallons, I converted my DEF usage from km/L to American 🇺🇸 figures for you to compare.

well...of course :) We did haul our lighter dirt bikes with my GF's Golf Sportwagen before getting a truck. Her 38 MPG would be more like 30 with a trailer behind it but it was never a good experience.

I actually am already doing some loading:

ngIMJU7.jpeg

It's nice to be able to take a bike out w/o having to hook up a trailer.

Howie Dub

Reaction score

download

I would love to pay $3.55/gal. Cheapest in my part of Marxangeles is $3.80 at Costco. It's a 26 mile round trip, but willing to do since it's the only Top Tier diesel. The truck is extremely smooth with the air suspension, especially on the highway. My wife thought I was going 60mph when I was actually going 80 the other day.

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would love to pay $3.55/gal. Cheapest in my part of Marxangeles is $3.80 at Costco. It's a 26 mile round trip, but willing to do since it's the only Top Tier diesel. The truck is extremely smooth with the air suspension, especially on the highway. My wife thought I was going 60mph when I was actually going 80 the other day.
You must be on the west coast?
Here’s our diesel prices - https://www.gasbuddy.com/gasprices/new-hampshire/lebanon

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

download

Your DEF usage will go down a bit as the truck breaks in and the fuel mileage increases.

D-dub

Reaction score
Your DEF usage will go down a bit as the truck breaks in and the fuel mileage increases.
Awesome! 👍 I've got about 300 miles on mine and mine has climbed from 16 mpg to 18.7 mpg so far. Bare in mind that most of my driving is city and speeds vary from 40 mph to 55mph. Depending on the road I'm driving. Until I hit the expressway. Because if your not doing 80+ your in the way.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

download

2K in 4 days, nice! Just a tip, try to avoid those right-off-the-highway stations for diesel. They are typically horrendeously overpriced. I think your DEF guesstimate is off. No way it should be using that much DEF. Give it some time and keep tracking it.

sheepdogtrail

Reaction score
I got around 10k miles on the 8 gallon tank in my 2014. I only have 700 miles on my new truck. My DEF tank was filled 1/2 way as well on delivery. It is too early for me to have a good working estimate on DEF usage.

Other than that I am seeing MPG improvement about 2 MPG difference between the 2021 and the 2014. Also I am missing the air suspension from my 2014. When it works, it is fantastic. By far, the best truck driving experience you can have.

So far, all is good on the new 2021 EcoD

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2K in 4 days, nice! Just a tip, try to avoid those right-off-the-highway stations for diesel. They are typically horrendeously overpriced. I think your DEF guesstimate is off. No way it should be using that much DEF. Give it some time and keep tracking it.

I've learned my lesson the diesel prices. Will have to use Gas Buddy or something when traveling.

All I can say is it was at half upon delivery, I topped it off the first day of the road trip then when I got home, I had to add 2.5 gallons and it took the entire canister. 300 miles since, DEF needle hasn't moved.

afphinfan

Reaction score
I had a 2015 Longhorn EcoDiesel and was driving 26k miles per year. I got a GDE tune and got 24-26mpg. Then all the update crap killed the mpg and had lag on my original ECU but the GDE ecu was fine. Then we weren’t driving into work and the effort to make long enough trips to get the regen to popup and finish was a pain. I no longer tote a tractor around so the gas v6 is the best engine for me. Over 20mpg and enough power to handle what I do. YMMV

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Drove my truck with 18,000 miles on it (well broken in) on a roughly 180 mile trip to the dealership in Springfield, TN from my house in central KY. Stock wheels and tires on the truck. Windows up. A/C on low. Perfect weather. 70-72 MPH. Saw 26.9 MPG on the dash display.

Traded it in and drove same route back home in a Jeep Gladiator with the same powertrain. Brand new (not broken in). Stock wheels and tires. Windows up. A/C on higher because by then it was getting hot outside. Wind picking up. 70-72 MPH. Saw 32.5 MPG on the dash display.

Now, the Ram is 300 lbs. heavier. But it's much more aerodynamic. Why in the world is the Jeep pickup able to knock down 21% better fuel economy when it's not even broken in yet and it was working a little harder in the heat and wind?

I think the Jeep just has a much better engine calibration in it. I've noticed that it also has MUCH less lag and delay. Much better throttle response.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Drove my truck with 18,000 miles on it (well broken in) on a roughly 180 mile trip to the dealership in Springfield, TN from my house in central KY. Stock wheels and tires on the truck. Windows up. A/C on low. Perfect weather. 70-72 MPH. Saw 26.9 MPG on the dash display.

Traded it in and drove same route back home in a Jeep Gladiator with the same powertrain. Brand new (not broken in). Stock wheels and tires. Windows up. A/C on higher because by then it was getting hot outside. Wind picking up. 70-72 MPH. Saw 32.5 MPG on the dash display.

Now, the Ram is 300 lbs. heavier. But it's much more aerodynamic. Why in the world is the Jeep pickup able to knock down 21% better fuel economy when it's not even broken in yet and it was working a little harder in the heat and wind?

I think the Jeep just has a much better engine calibration in it. I've noticed that it also has MUCH less lag and delay. Much better throttle response.
Saw your video and have been following you for a while. I can get that same mileage as the gladiator with my ram on long summer drives and mine is a fully loaded limited with 3.92.
Best I've seen was 33mpg. Average right now it's 26.2mpg.

sheepdogtrail

Reaction score
I just drove almost 200 miles round trip to pick up some 20" black 6 lug wheels for my new truck.

I average 29 MPG on that trip. Going from 500 feet above sea level to 4,000 feet above sea level. Was on the factory Falken Wildpeaks (C rated tire). Also had the A/C on with my 2014 topper shell attached. Average speed was 67 MPH for that journey.

I am pretty sure that 20's (wheels and tires) would have not yielded the same results. But it confirms to me that excellent mpg is possible with these trucks under certain conditions.

Last edited:

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Picked mine up today from the dealer. Build date was May 18, 21. No issues with get up and go and averaged 9.9l/100km (23.76 usmpg) on the 1 hour drive home in 50/50 mixed city/hwy. not bad for a rebel with 3.92s, and I wasn’t babying it either.

Kinda weird to see the neighbours heads all turn when I rolled into cul-de-sac with the new beast, never happened once in my 2012 4th gen.
4916a31e1e6751a0301046d84f7cb04e.jpg

chrisinfante

Reaction score
Picked mine up today from the dealer. Build date was May 18, 21. No issues with get up and go and averaged 9.9l/100km (23.76 usmpg) on the 1 hour drive home in 50/50 mixed city/hwy. not bad for a rebel with 3.92s, and I wasn’t babying it either.

Kinda weird to see the neighbours heads all turn when I rolled into cul-de-sac with the new beast, never happened once in my 2012 4th gen.
4916a31e1e6751a0301046d84f7cb04e.jpg

That is a great looking truck!

Users who are viewing this thread