5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ecodiesel block heater makes odd noise

Jasond78

Reaction score
Hey guys, does anyone know what the actual heater unit is that they use on the ecodiesel?
I bought the plug for mine and another post on the forum showed me how to install it.
My question is why does it make noise when i plug it in? Sounds like it's recirculating or something. Not loud or annoying but if you put your head in the wheel well you can't miss it..All the other heaters i see are just metal elements that get hot. I have seen the recirculating kind offered as upgrades you can get installed aftermarket. To be sure, i checked my brothers truck that is the same as mine and his makes the same noise.
I've tried looking for the replacement part just to see what the unit looks like inside. The only one i found looked like a long cylinder, not even sure it's the correct one.
I'm just curious as to what it is and why it makes a noise like it does.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, does anyone know what the actual heater unit is that they use on the ecodiesel?
I bought the plug for mine and another post on the forum showed me how to install it.
My question is why does it make noise when i plug it in? Sounds like it's recirculating or something. Not loud or annoying but if you put your head in the wheel well you can't miss it..All the other heaters i see are just metal elements that get hot. I have seen the recirculating kind offered as upgrades you can get installed aftermarket. To be sure, i checked my brothers truck that is the same as mine and his makes the same noise.
I've tried looking for the replacement part just to see what the unit looks like inside. The only one i found looked like a long cylinder, not even sure it's the correct one.
I'm just curious as to what it is and why it makes a noise like it does.
That is the normal sound, it’s is the coolant boiling because of the block heater element, if you hear nothing, your heater is not working.
I am very happy with the FCA block heaters, the other manufacturers like Ford or GM have temperature sensors and will not turn on unless reaching -17c I believe. The problem is when you plug it in you can’t hear if it’s working unless it is below that temp. They are also very expensive to replace. On most of them you can’t just replace the cord.
I plug my truck at work everyday in the winter, even if it’s only -10, I like the idea that it warms up faster, and of course I don’t have to pay for the electricity.

Jasond78

Reaction score
That is the normal sound, it’s is the coolant boiling because of the block heater element, if you hear nothing, your heater is not working.
I am very happy with the FCA block heaters, the other manufacturers like Ford or GM have temperature sensors and will not turn on unless reaching -17c I believe. The problem is when you plug it in you can’t hear if it’s working unless it is below that temp. They are also very expensive to replace. On most of them you can’t just replace the cord.
I plug my truck at work everyday in the winter, even if it’s only -10, I like the idea that it warms up faster, and of course I don’t have to pay for the electricity.
Does your truck ever sound like it's struggling to start when you have your block heater plugged in? My brother was telling me for the last 2 weeks that his truck(same as mine) was making all kinds of racket when he first fires it up in the morning and it's plugged in to the block heater. I thought he was nuts until i started paying attention. I usually did a remote start and couldn't hear anything but this weekend i went out and listened and sure enough it made a hell of a racket when i turned it over every morning. Sounded like some loud clicks then the engine sounded like it wasn't getting fuel and was turning over and over. All of this noise condensed into about 4 seconds.. i don't have to make multiple attempts, it will start just has the noises and delay.
After the initial fire up it runs just fine and won't do it again even if it sits all day.
My brother claimed this morning that he did not use his block heater last night and today it started just fine. I did use the heater last night and mine did not start smoothly.
It's been cool ,this weekend was 5-20deg. Today it got to 30 and feels like spring.
I wouldn't think the engine would even know that a block heater is plugged in and couldn't have a single thing to do with what we're experiencing but if both our trucks are doing it, then I'm sure others are.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does your truck ever sound like it's struggling to start when you have your block heater plugged in? My brother was telling me for the last 2 weeks that his truck(same as mine) was making all kinds of racket when he first fires it up in the morning and it's plugged in to the block heater. I thought he was nuts until i started paying attention. I usually did a remote start and couldn't hear anything but this weekend i went out and listened and sure enough it made a hell of a racket when i turned it over every morning. Sounded like some loud clicks then the engine sounded like it wasn't getting fuel and was turning over and over. All of this noise condensed into about 4 seconds.. i don't have to make multiple attempts, it will start just has the noises and delay.
After the initial fire up it runs just fine and won't do it again even if it sits all day.
My brother claimed this morning that he did not use his block heater last night and today it started just fine. I did use the heater last night and mine did not start smoothly.
It's been cool ,this weekend was 5-20deg. Today it got to 30 and feels like spring.
I wouldn't think the engine would even know that a block heater is plugged in and couldn't have a single thing to do with what we're experiencing but if both our trucks are doing it, then I'm sure others are.
I haven’t notice that, but like you I usually start it from the house and don’t hear it, and my truck is in the garage so it’s not that cold, close to the freezing point.
I plug in my truck at work, and start it with the phone Guardian App. but again I’m not there to here it.
I will have to listen the next time.
Thanks

Arth

Reaction score

Funny you mention this. I had a 2014 Hemi and a 2010 Cummins that did this when plugged in. I haven't noticed this on my 2021 Eco Diesel yet.

Back then I just chalked it up to the engine not being ready for hot coolant right out the gate. I've noticed even on my 2021 if I check the temperature before starting the engine coolant will be around 120 or so. Fire it up and it'll drop back down to the 90's but drag the oil temp up to match it. I personally think it's the shock of warm fluids are messing with engine sensors etc and causing the extra noise on start up.

Could be wrong but figured I'd throw my guess at it.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I started my truck with the remote several times now while I was standing beside it and it sounded normal, I plugged it overnight then remote started while standing beside it and sounded normal, so mine is all good.

Users who are viewing this thread