5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ecodiesel and extreme cold

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've seen people plastic wrap the front grill with stretch wrap in the winter. easy on and off and very little risk to paint.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Gen 4 Laramie's winter front sealed the grill better than the Gen 5 Limited does but I never had a problem with the Laramie after 5 yrs.

The Limited's cover is easier to get on/off than the Laramie so I will be checking often until I'm satisfied. And being easier to take off and on I think I'll be more apt to do that as temperature changes where with the Laramie I basically installed it in December and took it off in March.

Funeman

Reaction score
For the block heater, is it okay to leave it plugged in overnight or for long durations (12+ hours)? If not, I'll look into a timer I could set to start an hour or two prior to when I expect to leave.

Drewster

Reaction score
For the block heater, is it okay to leave it plugged in overnight or for long durations (12+ hours)? If not, I'll look into a timer I could set to start an hour or two prior to when I expect to leave.
That's frequently how they're used, but a timer that kicks it on ~4 hours before you leave would be more efficient

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah there's no issues with that

Fauji Rebel

Reaction score
When I lived up north in the Yukon close to Alaska, every vehicle sold there got the following items installed at the dealerships to withstand extreme cold temps (-40c) or colder sometimes.

1) engine block heater
2) oil pan heater
3) battery blanket
4) interior cab heater
5) grill cover
items1-4 required electric plug in .

most of us living below the the 49 th parallel do not require these items but they are a essential tool to have if u plan to use your truck in extreme below freezing temps.

Users who are viewing this thread