5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ecodiesel and extreme cold

neddles

Reaction score
I'm considering the Ecodiesel for my build. From what I understand modern diesels are not much trouble in extreme cold anymore. I'd make sure to use a cold weather additive in my tank with each fill up and plug in the block heater when things get extreme. The truck would be garaged but it's not uncommon to see -10 to -25ºF temps here overnight in winter.

1. What are the errors in my above thinking?

2. What is the workaround when on the road? It would not be inconceivable that I'd be at a hotel here in the upper midwest and wake up to -25ºF and NEED my truck to run. In that case I'd have no garage and no plug for a block heater. Is that a problem? What does everyone use for a workaround in that kind of situation?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some winter fuel additive would not be the worst idea. (I'm partial to Diesel Kleen. They have a fuel pump lubricant/cetane booster (grey bottle) and a winter formula (white bottle) as well as an "emergency" fuel de-geller (red bottle). But, there are a LOT of brands out there. The big thing is to make sure your fuel won't gel.)

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
I used to run biodiesel and that was the only time I needed a anti gel additive. Without a grill cover it may take longer than you'd like to get interior Heat.

Burnzie

Reaction score
Leave it running, it's a diesel maybe idle thru 1 gallon. Big rigs do it all the time.

mrfreon

Reaction score
I had a 2014 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel and it never needed fuel additive or the block heater when parked outside at -20F. Although the battery died on a -20F night so I plan to change the battery on my new EcoDiesel truck every 3 years whether it needs it or not.

Burner1352

Reaction score
My 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel started with no issues with the extreme cold we would get in Ontario Canada. I wanted to see how cold it could get without plugging it in and was shocked when it hit -40c (sorry I don't know what that is in F lol) and she fired right up. That little MB diesel sure was loud when it did start, but it never let me down at all on the coldest of days. If you live in areas that do get that cold you will have cold weather diesel fuel from wherever you buy your fuel from. I think you will start to see it soon at the pumps in the next few weeks. Just don't jump in the truck and go. Give it a few minutes to warm up and get the fluids moving.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had zero issues at -30C this past winter without the grill cover. The active grille shutters close automatically I find when the temps start to drop. For extended cold periods I would recommend using one tho.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From the manual

Winter Front Cover
A winter front or cold weather cover can be used in ambient temperatures below 32°F (0°C), especially during extended idle conditions. This cover is equipped with four flaps for managing total grille opening in varying ambient temperatures. If a winter front or cold weather cover is to be used the flaps should be in the full open position to allow air flow to the cooling module and automatic transmission oil cooler. When ambient temperatures drop below 0°F (-17°C) the four flaps need to be closed. A suitable cold weather cover is available from your Mopar dealer.

Lordy123

Reaction score
My 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel started with no issues with the extreme cold we would get in Ontario Canada. I wanted to see how cold it could get without plugging it in and was shocked when it hit -40c (sorry I don't know what that is in F lol) and she fired right up. That little MB diesel sure was loud when it did start, but it never let me down at all on the coldest of days. If you live in areas that do get that cold you will have cold weather diesel fuel from wherever you buy your fuel from. I think you will start to see it soon at the pumps in the next few weeks. Just don't jump in the truck and go. Give it a few minutes to warm up and get the fluids moving.

I can convert -40C to -40F in my head because that's actually the exact point they intersect! -40C is -40F as well.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Leave it running, it's a diesel maybe idle thru 1 gallon. Big rigs do it all the time.
I wouldn't do this without an idle controller to raise the RPMs to a safe level. At least that used to be the case when I owned a Power Stroke 7.3 Super Duty 20 years ago:

FB502493-114B-497E-86A6-268CC29B0F6D.JPG

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was quite irritated when I got my ecodiesel a couple months ago. Didn’t come with the grille cover. I’m in MN so you would think every ecodiesel here would come with that

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was quite irritated when I got my ecodiesel a couple months ago. Didn’t come with the grille cover. I’m in MN so you would think every ecodiesel here would come with that
It does if you order the cold weather package for $295. ;) I live in NH and mine only had the $95 Block Heater option so I had to buy my cover separately.....actually cheaper that way anyway by 100 bucks.

neddles

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input here. Glad you guys set me straight on the winter blend fuel as well. Looks like there is no need to add any anti-gel or any winter additives. Most gas stations here have diesel so I would assume that we get the winter blend when appropriate and the busier stations will have fresh diesel too.

Should there be a normal mileage drop in winter temps like you would see with gas vehicles? Is the winter blend less efficient?

Users who are viewing this thread