5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ecodiesel A/C hack location

Smon

Reaction score
Anyone with the ecodiesel put a ball valve in the coolant line to lower the A/C temps yet? Not the same setup as the hemi, so I don’t have anything to go by.
Temps are now in the 100+ range here and this a/c doesn’t cut it. My 4th gen wasn’t great, but this is even worse.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Set an appointment with the dealer to have the system Recharged. The trucks leave the factory undercharged with A/C fluids. Took the dealer two hours to do it and the A/C is wayy colder now... I live in AZ and yesterday it was 115F... The A/C was sufficient.

JimD007

Reaction score
I do not have the Diesel, I have the V6, but I was able to install a control valve by reviewing the coolant line from the water pump to the heater. The latter is on the upper firewall closer to the passenger's side. You want a hose that only goes to the heater. Out of the pump, mine goes to the transmission and the heater with the heater branched reasonably close to the heater. Mine was 3/4, not 5/8 like the V8.

Smon

Reaction score
Have a photo of your setup? This ecodiesel is way different.

My local dealer might actually be the worst dealer around...in fact they had the lowest customer satisfaction percentage in the nation according the new service manager who said he was going to turn it around. That was a year ago. It has not turned around. Ha!

Rhombus

Reaction score
Set an appointment with the dealer to have the system Recharged. The trucks leave the factory undercharged with A/C fluids. Took the dealer two hours to do it and the A/C is wayy colder now... I live in AZ and yesterday it was 115F... The A/C was sufficient.
I have an ecodiesel and I got the working according to specifications line.

Smon

Reaction score
I think this is the hose I need. Comes off the top of the water pump down to a hard line. Then goes way up behind the engine to the firewall

Attachments

• 515DD696-89CC-411C-9659-E88FE1FF24A1.jpeg
    515DD696-89CC-411C-9659-E88FE1FF24A1.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 124

Smon

Reaction score
I definitely plan to put the valve in...just want to make sure it’s in the right spot

KcRay

Reaction score
The top hose going into the heater core, is always the inlet. Trace that hose to find a spot you want to install valve. You can test your chosen hose by pinching it off and running AC b4 installing valve.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can somebody give me the basics of what this valve does to make the A/C colder?

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Can somebody give me the basics of what this valve does to make the A/C colder?
It cancelles the AC heater core. It is a known issue that the mixer door doesn't go all the way and even when you choose lowest settings in you Screen, it's not closing all the way hence letting hot air from the heater also. Same thing as you put the AC temp on 75, it will mix the AC and the heater and that's how you get 75F.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
The top hose going into the heater core, is always the inlet. Trace that hose to find a spot you want to install valve. You can test your chosen hose by pinching it off and running AC b4 installing valve.
I think I would just clamp the hose during the warm months so you wouldn't have to cut the heater hoses.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It cancelles the AC heater core. It is a known issue that the mixer door doesn't go all the way and even when you choose lowest settings in you Screen, it's not closing all the way hence letting hot air from the heater also. Same thing as you put the AC temp on 75, it will mix the AC and the heater and that's how you get 75F.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ahh ok. So with that mod, you'd have to manually open the valve anytime you wanted something other than pure cold. Sounds like something I'll pass on. It was 42 degrees here yesterday morning, and will be 90 this afternoon. I need it all. Lol.

My buddy has a 2020 with the Pentastar and has already taken his to the shop for the A/C issue to no avail. So far, mine has been fine but I will check my vent temp this afternoon just because I'm curious.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Ahh ok. So with that mod, you'd have to manually open the valve anytime you wanted something other than pure cold. Sounds like something I'll pass on. It was 42 degrees here yesterday morning, and will be 90 this afternoon. I need it all. Lol.

My buddy has a 2020 with the Pentastar and has already taken his to the shop for the A/C issue to no avail. So far, mine has been fine but I will check my vent temp this afternoon just because I'm curious.
Yeah... i wouldn't do that if I were you.. you need the heater too. 90 is not that bad also, you don't need the hack if it gets to 90 tops.

Lwall1985

Reaction score
I think this is the hose I need. Comes off the top of the water pump down to a hard line. Then goes way up behind the engine to the firewall
So just to confirm the hose circled is the correct hose to clamp off in order to get cold A/C?

DieselFuelOnly

Reaction score
Does anyone have a known high quality, high temp valve source?

My 2020 ED AC is trash at idle when ambient temp is around 85+!

John Jensen

Reaction score
I blocked mine on my 2020 Cummins. The concept is the same on a 1500 Eco.
Amazon now has a kit called Muzzys A/C Hack kit

When I blocked mine that kit was not available. I bought a 5/8" ball valve (Amazon) & had the clamps. Didn't need the hose in the mentioned kit. The hose is a tight fit on the 5/8 barb,

There's no harm in blocking it off.
Blocking redirects all the coolant through the engine and EGR cooler.

When I block the hose the AC temp goes down considerably
For example, the coldest vent went from 58 down to 42.
The penalty is you have no control of the temp.
You can only adjust the temp with the ball valve position.

Here's a pic of another 6,7 ball valve installed

Heater Hose Nick-2.jpg

malgen

Reaction score
I do not have the Diesel, I have the V6, but I was able to install a control valve by reviewing the coolant line from the water pump to the heater. The latter is on the upper firewall closer to the passenger's side. You want a hose that only goes to the heater. Out of the pump, mine goes to the transmission and the heater with the heater branched reasonably close to the heater. Mine was 3/4, not 5/8 like the V8.
Do you have any pictures of where the line is??

Synergy26

Reaction score
Anyone have pictures of this installed on the gen 3 ecodiesel?

Users who are viewing this thread