5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ECO Mode

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is “ECO mode” actually a setting, or just an indication that you’re driving well enough to get a ECO gold star? On our Toyota, there’s actually ECO settings that dictates how the vehicle accelerates and shift points. It’s a very evident change in the way the vehicle functions. On my Ram it appears the “ECO” light only comes on to indicate that I’ve stopped touching the gas pedal.

Does activation of the ECO dash light actually do anything to improve mpg, or is this just an annoying indication of how well I’m feathering my gas pedal?

ProdigyDude

Reaction score
It means your engine is running on 4 cylinders only so yes it should theoretically improve MPG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
As stated already, ECO means 4 of the cylinders are deactivated. If you're on the MPG screen and have it where you can see the instantaneous economy, you'll see it jumps. In my experience, ECO doesn't kick on much above 60 mph, unless it's a slight downgrade.

The ECO mode on your Toyota is like the normal mode on the RAM. If you want more acceleration and power, switch to tow/haul mode. When you do, ECO is disabled.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that’s incredibly good info.

So is ECO always activated when Tow/Haul isn’t, or does it need to be activated in the display controls in my Uconnect?

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Thanks guys, that’s incredibly good info.

So is ECO always activated when Tow/Haul isn’t, or does it need to be activated in the display controls in my Uconnect?
It's always on unless you go to tow/haul or if you manually shift the transmission to 8. (or lower) All that the uconnect settings does is turn the dash indicator on or off. Some people want to know and some find it annoying.

Benca101

Reaction score
I have a road near my house in San Diego. I set the cruise to 47mph and the truck goes into ECO stays there until I get a red light. I can average 35MPG for miles... minus the lights of course.

Users who are viewing this thread