5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eco mode at random

Kaderast

Reaction score
Trying to figure out when and why the truck seems to go into eco mode (mds active from everything I've read here.)

I didn't see the eco light once until about 1,500 miles, then one day I started seeing it all the time on my daily 20 minute highway commute.

Then mysteriously I didn't see it again for almost two weeks. Yesterday it was back on, if I drove light footed at 60mph I could keep it on almost my entire commute. This morning, gone again, didn't see it come on once. Same drive, same gas....any ideas why it's so random??? About 4,000 miles on the truck now.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trying to figure out when and why the truck seems to go into eco mode (mds active from everything I've read here.)

I didn't see the eco light once until about 1,500 miles, then one day I started seeing it all the time on my daily 20 minute highway commute.

Then mysteriously I didn't see it again for almost two weeks. Yesterday it was back on, if I drove light footed at 60mph I could keep it on almost my entire commute. This morning, gone again, didn't see it come on once. Same drive, same gas....any ideas why it's so random??? About 4,000 miles on the truck now.

Are you one of those gas brake gas brake people. jk

Kaderast

Reaction score
Put the dash to display instant economy and confirm it's not going into ECO mode. I've noticed at times that the light doesn't come on when it should.

Tried to notice this morning. Generally with a very light foot you can see the mds kick in when eco light comes on, instant mpg will bump up a bit accordingly. Haven't noticed that instant bump up anytime unless the eco light comes on with it.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Tried to notice this morning. Generally with a very light foot you can see the mds kick in when eco light comes on, instant mpg will bump up a bit accordingly. Haven't noticed that instant bump up anytime unless the eco light comes on with it.
That's what I mean. Sometimes the instant mpg reads like 27 and the ECO light isn't on, and I'm not compression braking. I've switched to Tow/haul and back and triggered the ECO light then, so it's like the computer forgot to trigger the light.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Almost never on the highway (going 70+) but if I'm cruising below 60 it shows fairly regularly.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This feels like a stupid question, but does the EcoDiesel have an eco mode? My Grand Cherokee with the Gen 2 EcoDiesel had eco model, but I can't find a button or setting or anything on the truck.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
If you’re on flat roads with little head wind, set your cruise at 45 to 50 mph. This is the optimum scenario for mds to kick in. Above 55 you’ll almost never see it

jessed1

Reaction score
Almost never on the highway (going 70+) but if I'm cruising below 60 it shows fairly regularly.
I was on the highway yesterday and my OCD was kicking in. Playing with the cruise on flat sections: 71 eco mode would engage regularly... bumped the cruise control to 72 and no eco mode. Seemed to be relative to 2k RPM.

Users who are viewing this thread